1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

An inexpensive back-up water filtration system

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Melvin-Purvis, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    Quick and dirty. SmartWater caps on some semi-rigid bottles, three feet of 5/16ths ID food grade tubing, Aquamira drops, a Sawyer mini with adapter kit, a LifeStraw, some Katadyn purification tabs, coffee prefilters, a 1.3 gallon folding water storage bag, and some 5/16ths ID screw protectors. About $60 between Amazon and the local HW store.

Water Kit 1.jpg Water Kit 2.jpg Water Kit 4.jpg

Rupestris, JV3 and Hard Knocks like this.
  2. Melvin-Purvis

Jan 14, 2001
    And here's a clever solar distillation method I'm going to incorporate into the system shown above. I have the original bottle caps, and some glue. With a piece of PVC tubing, I should be set. Minimal additional weight, and I was already going to use one of the bottles as a dirty water bottle.

Krav and reppans like this.
  3. reppans

reppans

Oct 25, 2018
    I'm not quite seeing where there's enough temperature differential to drive the distillation in that video - seems to me the top and bottom evaporation should be relatively equalized. Unless the dirt water is darker colored enough to absorb more solar radiation?

4. Melvin-Purvis

Jan 14, 2001
    Yep, turns out it doesn't work at all. Wish I'd read the comments to the guy's video where he's called out and admits he faked it. I built a similar system; it was fun, and looks cool, but doesn't work.