An inexpensive back-up water filtration system

Melvin-Purvis

Temporarily Retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Quick and dirty. SmartWater caps on some semi-rigid bottles, three feet of 5/16ths ID food grade tubing, Aquamira drops, a Sawyer mini with adapter kit, a LifeStraw, some Katadyn purification tabs, coffee prefilters, a 1.3 gallon folding water storage bag, and some 5/16ths ID screw protectors. About $60 between Amazon and the local HW store.

Water Kit 1.jpg Water Kit 2.jpg Water Kit 4.jpg

And here's a clever solar distillation method I'm going to incorporate into the system shown above. I have the original bottle caps, and some glue. With a piece of PVC tubing, I should be set. Minimal additional weight, and I was already going to use one of the bottles as a dirty water bottle.

And here's a clever solar distillation method...

I'm not quite seeing where there's enough temperature differential to drive the distillation in that video - seems to me the top and bottom evaporation should be relatively equalized. Unless the dirt water is darker colored enough to absorb more solar radiation?

Yep, turns out it doesn't work at all. Wish I'd read the comments to the guy's video where he's called out and admits he faked it. I built a similar system; it was fun, and looks cool, but doesn't work.

Back