An Introduction, who is Greenberg Woods?

Hey guys, I recently hit 2000 posts on bladeforums the same day I renewed my dealers membership for the 3rd year, I thought I would introduce myself and tell you who I am.

My name is Ben Greenberg, I am 20 years old, born and raised in Sunny Los Angeles California and currently attend UC Santa Cruz studying Chemistry with a focus on metallurgy and material science. More important to you guys, I am the founder and sole employee of Greenbergwoods, a now just over 2 year old business where I supply high quality woods mainly to knife makers.

If you have been on the forums for any real length of time, I am sure you have seen my posts. I tend to talk about woods, wood ID, finishing and general understanding. I have always been something of a nerd and have read through the entire wood database several times as well as dozens upon dozens of books about wood, woodworking and the properties of wood.

I got into this from an interest in Knifemaking, like all 16 year old kids I wanted to make knives, and I started reading about woods for handles. I started to visit a local woodshop so often I was eventually offered a job. Throughout high school I began to do more of the back end work of sourcing rare and high end woods for the shop while also making knives. When I went to college at 18 I decided to bring a box of wood to sell to get some side income. And in the next few years I began to work with mills in Australia, Brazil and Mexico, build a website and become something of a bladeforums fixture. You guys were my first clients and beta testers for my woods, as it would be over a year till I would make an instagram and later a website, Which is why I still publish all of my wood articles on Blade forums before they are added to my site and why I spend so much time giving advice on the forums.

I wanted to thank all of you guys, not only for being great customers and clients, but also for the advice you have given me about my business, keeping me to the highest level of customer service and honesty and helping me form a business that now pays for a large portion of my schooling. From selling 10 dollar blocks of curly maple to my woods being on show winning pieces and supplying master smiths, I wanted to say thank you guys for making it possible.

Something you probably dont know, I do still make knives. This is an unfinished damascus gyuto I forged.

The Damascus here is actually a 15N20- O2 mix for higher contrast

YZzpuqv.jpg

Vu20wFN.jpg

BoViQrn.jpg

And this is a small drop point I did with a fluxless cable process I developed

bMpe8Iu.png

Glad you're on here. Next knife I make will be a gyuto with some Mexican Kingwood I got from you

Ben, would you care to give some details on your fluxless cable welding?

I did it with piranha solution.

As someone with a background in chemistry, i will say right now

DON'T DO THIS. IT IS STUIPID AND DANGEROUS.

a mix of high concentration sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide protanates and oxidizes all organic compounds into water and CO2, i used a follow up process to remove the passive layer of iron sulfide formed in the reaction.

Check out the YT vids of piranha solution prior to even dreaming about using this stuff!

Back