An unscientific poll about knife pivot bearing types.

That's actually what I was saying. I think a knife pivot is closer to a wheel bearing than a rod or crank bearing. Also, when I was working on race cars, I replaced rod bearings on a regular basis, to the point that with many engines they were considered normal wear items. (The BMW S54 and S65 are prime examples.) I almost never replaced any form of roller or ball bearing, and when I did it was because another component had broken and taken the bearing with it.

Racing vehicles have nothing to to with real life. The engines are made to last the length of the race with the maximum output possible, lowest weight, and lowest energy diverted away from locomotion. If an engine lasts the length of the race and produces the maximum power possible while doing so, then it is a successful design. If it has life left in the components to survive another race, then it has excess weight or has potential power left to produce.

I don't see why you need to be able to do everything with a single knife. I live in a place where I can be in the mountains, in the desert, or at the beach within an hour, but the knife I carry every day is tailored for my everyday needs. I have different knives for different jobs.

Whether you can see my situation or not does not negate my wants or needs.

Back