And now for something controversial..Merkur Futur VS Gillette Adj.

Which do you prefer and why? I already have both, so I'll hold my opinion for a while.

I have not used my Gilettes enough yet to say. I really do like my Futur

Don't have a Futur, but I love my Gillettes, Gems, Injectors, and Edwin Jagger DE87.

ive been useing a 1963 Slim Tech for a month now and like it but i still love my Mergress. hard to pick between the 2:confused:

ok went back to the Mergress today and it deff. for me is the better shaver but i still like the old Gillette

Ah come on Durwood, I'd like to know your opinion:thumbup:

Merkurs please me, Gilettes might if I had any:D

Well, since those who have both don't really like one over the other I guess there is no need to even try a Merkur. I'm more than happy with my old Gil. ajustable. Kind of glad because I've been on the fence trying to resist getting one of the Merkur ajustables just to try a newer shaver. On another note I do have both ajustable and fixed and much prefer an ajustable.

Well, I don't have a Merkur, but I really like both my 1960 Fat Boy and my 1973 Super Adjustable (with the long handle). I'm still in the newbie learning stages, but both of these give me a shave with less razor burn than either my Fusion or Quattro. For the price of the Futur, however, it better be head and shoulders above a vintage Gillette adjustable.

Lately I've been using a Merkur 37G slant and an old Neillite 400 and like them both very much. I want a Progress, and wish they made it in a slant. I like how easily the slant slices through stubble. It's easier to shave ATG with the slant because of that.
I can't pick a favorite. I like all of my razors for different reasons. With a good blade, the Gem Micromatic is very hard to beat. The Neillite offers 2 different levels of aggressiveness in one, non-adjustable razor. One side is a lot more aggresive than the other. I use the more aggressive side for WTG and XTG passes, then the less aggressive side for ATG passes.

In terms of quality, the vintage Gillettes don't give up anything to Merkurs. But my slant does shave me faster than my Slim Adjustable.

Gollnick, you are too kind:) You evaluate blades and cost per shave like a regular analyst and you can't say;)

I'll tell you what I did.

Because of Chuck's glowing praises of the Futur, I checked one out at the Art of Shaving store....I thought it was very heavy, and did not like the short handle. They are fairly expensive compared to a good vintage Gillette, like double the cost.

I prefer the butterfly tto over the detachable face that the Futur has.

In short, having never tried the Futur for the above reasons, I prefer Gillette.:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Having used 2, 3, 4, and 5 blade carts, I prefer the 2 blade carts, as I only have one blade dry shaving me per pass, instead of 2,3, or 4.
My favorite carts are the Sensor and Atra.
That said, nothing can compare to the shave you get with a good DE/SE/Injector, except for a really good straight.
The EJ DE87 is a fantastic shaver, and with a Feather blade it's on a whole different plane.
The Merkur slant is another amazing piece of kit. Very easy to get all day BBS with it, even with cheap dollar store blades.
The Gem 1912 and Micromatic are the next best thing to a straight. The thicker blades give a better shave, and with fewer passes. Once you use one, you wonder why they quit making them. They're that good.

Back