The Journey Down to 3 - 2 - 1

Bm9xppE.jpg

That Emerson is awesome. I love that design.

Being minimlist and downsize is my resolution for 2019, it´s a process started on 2017...but 3!! Congrats.
I´m thinking on 3 fixed (I have 4 right now, it was 5, one sold on 2018) and 5-7 folders (I have 11...3 sold on 2018).

Being able to narrow my collection down to 3 would be easy if I was only considering my 'needs'. Problem is I love just admiring a well made knife and experiencing different kinds. So, I keep buying, trying, seeking, selling, rinse and repeat. I know there will never be THE one.

As a knife guy, I can't see just owning three knives. I can see just using three knives. No joy in just owning three and I understand the downsizing mentality and I should probably do that as well. But not three; maybe 25....

Being able to narrow my collection down to 3 would be easy if I was only considering my 'needs'. Problem is I love just admiring a well made knife and experiencing different kinds. So, I keep buying, trying, seeking, selling, rinse and repeat. I know there will never be THE one.
I could do the same. I also know that there can never the THE ONE unless it's the ever present EDC Vic SAK, but I see little fun in that.

I think the Bugout is a fine knife, although I've not held one. I keep looking for them on the Exchange,
but never in time to get one.
Hard to believe that all Three of your knives are Benchmade...you need to give some time
and consideration to Sal Glesser and his brood. I love the guy...

Of particular note, not a single one of them is a black knife; might be the only member of this forum that doesn’t own a black (non-kitchen) knife.

Nope. I don't own a black knife. I have blue Native 5 LW in S110V steel and a PM2 with forest green scales in 204P steel.

It's good to be able to narrow things down and simplify. One of the reasons I don't just go buy 5-10 different knives is because I am trying to not become one of these people that have "collections" of things I never use. Even as much as I enjoy guns I've been trying to limit how much I own and not hanging on to things that never get used.

I do own some black blades; namely Kabar Beckers and Condors. I can change that, but have yet to do that. I do not like black blades. I would't go as far to say it is a purchase disqualifier these days, but it approaches that for me. So glad that Kabar didn't paint the BK-62.

... No joy in just owning three ...

For me personally there is a lot of joy in owning three. When you carry the same one it gives a different kind of joy then carrying a different one every day. There’s a special type of familiarity. That knife has been there and done it all with you. It becomes a sort of trademark of you; people always know that item will be on you and recognize instantly as yours. In effect it becomes a visual representation of memories as well because it goes and participates in all of your adventures. I personally get more joy out of a select few pieces of well used gear then vast accumulations of gear that sits dormant.

I think the Bugout is a fine knife, although I've not held one. I keep looking for them on the Exchange,
but never in time to get one.
Hard to believe that all Three of your knives are Benchmade...you need to give some time
and consideration to Sal Glesser and his brood. I love the guy...

I have owned four Spydercos in the past. None of them were my favorites. The thumb hole is not ideal for me and I hate how wide they are in the pocket. I’m a fan of the axis lock in particular and these three knives I currently own are exactly to my taste and needs. They just so happened to be made by Benchmade which is fine by me as BM has always treated me right and they support first responders which I am.

Being minimlist and downsize is my resolution for 2019, it´s a process started on 2017...but 3!! Congrats.
I´m thinking on 3 fixed (I have 4 right now, it was 5, one sold on 2018) and 5-7 folders (I have 11...3 sold on 2018).

Good luck to you! I didn’t drop down to 3 in one fell swoop. I steadily downsized, by a couple here and there. It was a process and well worth it.

Now - 10 folders, one sold last friday. And dealing with some guy to trade 2 of mine for 1 of him...

I am down to 3 folders. My main carry is a Shiro F95T that get's 90% of my pocket time, and to the OP's point is THE knife for me. My garage/workshop knife is a Gayle Bradley 2 that gets called on when I know the going will get rough. My last one as of yesterday was a PM2 in M4 steel. That's now changing to a Manix 2 in Maxamet, just for a little more robustness in the point. That is going to be the lightweight carry. I have never had a Manix, so we will see if it makes the permanent roster.

My fixer collection grows, but those are genuinely collection knives and see almost no use. My folders get all the use.

Now - 10 folders, one sold last friday. And dealing with some guy to trade 2 of mine for 1 of him...

Now 9 folders and 3 fixed. One fixed sold last week and one folder sold yesterday.
Still trying to trade 2 folders of mine for 1 with a guy...

For me personally there is a lot of joy in owning three. When you carry the same one it gives a different kind of joy then carrying a different one every day....
Frankly, I carry about three knives most of the time or you could say they are available to me to do so. I find no joy in rotating regular carry pocket knives. I prefer it to be a bit more spontaneous. I can't ever see selling off or giving away knives I own simply to down size to some magic three or five or whatever.

I also like Benchmade's axis lock quite a bit. It just works.

Back