And Then We Have Sticks...

dare ya to swing that more than a few times. might be OK for castle defense to occasionally bop summun onna head as they climb over the crenelations, but unless you can order a squaddy or two to carry it for you on patrol...

The little pine stubby there on the right is for patrol duty. Fits nicely in a Sam Browne sword frog:D The big one is Ipe. Its solid as all getout. I dont think it will get me passed your Dire wolves but no problem breaching the average door.

15ec3017f34cb202c4e16bb930bdff0a

I remember our late great moderator and forum elder Yvsa used to carry a Canemaster cane IIRC. It's amazing the kind of things you can do with even a rudimentary knowledge of leverage.

I bought my first blackthorn at an Irish-themed shop in New Orleans back in 2003. My future wife and I were down there for spring break our senior year of college, and I thought a little in-plain-sight deterrence was prudent. I picked up a Pug Ugly stick some time ago that i really love as well. A few years back I had a shillelagh built by Mendowood Canes. He basically took a really nice rootball, dressed it up pretty, and attached it to a metal pipe with a metal dowel before adding enough black epoxy to make the the metal cane look like a blackthorn. It was a brainer for sure. I lost it in the fire at my office a couple years ago, though.

I really would like to make a nice stick. I just haven't had time to go dig one up to get it curing in the chimney;)

nuthin' wrong with bein' a trunk monkey. at least they are smarter and more useful that most politicians, of which we have a great excess number of.

Ok, I'll admit it, I still moonlight as a trunk monkey quite frequently. Everybody needs their thing to hold up to the world with pride ya know.
It's not much but it's me.

we need more trunk monkeys. or 'boot' monkeys over here in the UK. probably a law against them tho. might hurt a criminal and they have rights.

I've been thinking about walking sticks again and came across the Penn Bazh, a walking stick/club from the Brittany region of France. They look pretty darn similar to an Irish shillelagh, which makes sense since they're both celtic cultures.

6676283-10204034.jpg

There's a martial art based on their use called Tuatha Penn Bazh but I'm not sure if it's a modern or traditional fighting style. Those sticks don't look much like the traditional ones. Most of the info is in French.

[video=youtube;VD9CL4I1XTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9CL4I1XTg[/video]

You know, reading this thread again has made me wonder about Portugal's Jogo do Pau (Game of the Stick). I think I'll see about finding some good sources on it. Specifically looking into Portugal's form of stick fighting may seem esoteric and oddly specific to some of you, but I speak fluent Portuguese. Lived in Brasil for two years, and there's transference of interest over to Portugal. Plus Brasil's only native martial arts don't appeal to me, so I have to look elsewhere. I'm no good at kicking, so Capoeira is out, and I don't care for wriggling around on the ground so Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is out.

I've been thinking about walking sticks again and came across the Penn Bazh, a walking stick/club from the Brittany region of France. They look pretty darn similar to an Irish shillelagh, which makes sense since they're both celtic cultures.

6676283-10204034.jpg

There's a martial art based on their use called Tuatha Penn Bazh but I'm not sure if it's a modern or traditional fighting style. Those sticks don't look much like the traditional ones. Most of the info is in French.

[video=youtube;VD9CL4I1XTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9CL4I1XTg[/video]

I see by your outfit your from the Brittany region?

And probably woman beating men to death for fun too.

The stuff my wife has been having me do lately caused me to ask her the other day if she remembered I was a derelict, in case she'd forgotten or didn't notice the chair no more.

No mercy. Get r dun.

I was reading about "faction fighting", a custom in 18th and 19th century Ireland where men would split into rival gangs or factions based of family or whatever and club the tar out of each other for fun. Sort of like a sport except people often died. Oftentimes women would join in the "fun" by throwing rocks at the rival faction.

http://www.thurles.info/2008/11/11/thurles-women-tipperary-stone-throwers/

http://www.museum.ie/Country-Life/E...rving-the-Peace/19th-Century-Faction-Fighting

We should run our elections that way:D

ihasastick.jpg

...and he ain't afraid to use it!

(i have one or two, well, maybe a few more, but less than 30, or so, lying about too)

that was his slow motion training video on yootoobe.

i saw him in action once, quickly leaping into action, swinging his mighty cudgel, he laid into his four foes with abandon and berserk fury, caving in their shells and leaving them behind a broken mass of goo. it was over in a flash, only took him 6 hours. he rapidly disappeared into the sunset and after 4 hours, disappeared from view into the forest.

Back