Annealing an already heat treated knife.

Just a quick question, as I can not find the answer. I am new to knife making and am not happy with one of the knives I made. I went through the process of heat treating and tempering the blade already. Is it possible to anneal the blade so that I can re work it to the desired profile? And then heat treat it again when I am satisfied with it? It is 1095 steel, I am using a homemade propane forge. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Maybe better in the Makers sub-forum.
Quick answer is yes, you can anneal (soften) the blade simply by heating it & letting it cool.
But why not re-shape your blade as is? You can still grind it as long as you keep it relatively cool without affecting you heat treatment. Hope this helps.

I'mSoSharp, Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure what forum to put the question under, I am new here and navigating through all the forums and sub-forums was a little daunting. I appreciate the information. I suppose just taking it easy and reshaping the blade is an option, I just wasn't certain if I could anneal it. Thanks again. I guess I'll see if altering the profile with out annealing it will work out.

Also, if you anneal, then reshape then heat treat again. You'll increase the chance of warping in the second heat treat.

Back