Announcing the NEW 535BK-2 Bugout!

What's the point of M4 on a knife like this? Bragging rights?
What's the point of M4 on any knife? Great edge retention, ease of sharpening, familiarity, general performance? Many of us prefer it to S30v, and it would be great to have it in my favorite EDC (since Benchmade does M4 very well, and currently does not do K390).

The Bugout that I have been waiting for has a sub-3" blade, full liners (that have been skeletonized) and non-translucent G10 scales...

I was hoping that Benchmade would at least upgrade the steel to S35VN. Seems like all they did was upgrade the scales material.

I was hoping that Benchmade would at least upgrade the steel to S35VN. Seems like all they did was upgrade the scales material.

Benchmade doesn't really utilize S35VN to my knowledge, so you'd likely have a better chance getting the Bugout in S90V, 20CV, M4 etc.

Also, seeing as their standard steel is currently S30V, unless they switch over to S35VN, it probably wouldn't make much sense to do a limited run (or something similar), in a steel similar in performance to their base steel. However, I've been wrong before and crazy things do happen...

What's the point of M4 on any knife? Great edge retention, ease of sharpening, familiarity, general performance? Many of us prefer it to S30v, and it would be great to have it in my favorite EDC (since Benchmade does M4 very well, and currently does not do K390).
My point was that the Bugout is a light duty knife and S30V is more than enough. I have other knives, folders and fixed, with better steel if I need a heavy duty knife. I already upgraded 2 of my Bugouts with G10 and CF scales but I've not had any issues or complaints with the blade steel.

I4424HX.jpg

I have a regular blue bugout with s30v. I don't need another in s30v. I'll pass. I really like the blacked out color though. If it was m4 or 20cv I'd be very tempted.

What's the point of M4 on a knife like this? Bragging rights?

What do you mean "knife like this"

I'd put my Bugout up against many other bigger, "tougher" knives out there.

Why M4? Well, it's an awesome steel with great edge retention, gets sticky sharp and is fairly easy to get it that way.

What do you mean "knife like this"

I'd put my Bugout up against many other bigger, "tougher" knives out there.

Why M4? Well, it's an awesome steel with great edge retention, gets sticky sharp and is fairly easy to get it that way.

Yes to both. I'll take M4 in any blade size over most other steels. M4, k390, and Cru Wear all day. Love the stuff!

I think they’ll continue to use the cerakote on non-stainless blades because it’s more corrosion resistant than DLC, according to previous posts about coatings.

Back