Annoyed

Just started looking at Spyderco and all of the good ones are exclusives and gone. What the heck.

Gone
Knife center PM2 Satin Cruwear w/ black G10s
DLT PM2/PM3 DLC Cruwear w/ purple G10s
Sprint Run PM2 Satin Cruwear w/ Grey G10s

Why is all the good stuff unobtainable? Do they not like selling knives? I’ve tried and returned 3 Crucarta PM2s that all start out like butter then get super stiff and grind after a day. The Micarta scales warp / bend and push against the lock bar which puts pressure on the blade. If I bend it back it works for a few flicks then grinds again.

So all I’m left with is a S45VN G10 option… ridiculous

PM2s are out now with Magnacut. They are also releasing Spy27 PM2s/para 3s.

A really cheap REC PM2 in sale section. Lots pop up on for sale section.
Did you try the, want to buy, section?

I have a 15v PM2 I would let go of.

It is kind if annoying honestly. I get why they do sprint runs. The annoying part is the limited runs are better than the standard options, but then they're gone. In my opinion, ditch the standard options and offer the upgraded sprints as regular offerings would be better. But I do gotta give spyderco alot of credit. They DO have alot of premium offerings in their standard lineup now like magnacut, s110v, k390, 15v and maxamet. That can be bought any day of the year.

I only have a 15v pm2 because one major knife retailer raised the price on it and apparently noone wanted it at that price, they had 2 left NIB, it was a sprint and everywhere else had been soldout for awhile. But it was still cheaper than any s90v BM, so to me still a great value.

Exclusives are commissioned, Spyderco only builds the number specified by the commissioning party. Can't get one? Whine to the dealer who commissioned it.

Sprint Runs are "one and done". A set number are made and no more in that exact configuration will be made. There is always a chance that something similar will become regular production, but if you want the Sprint, move on it quick or just move on.

"Do they not like selling knives?" Buddy, they are selling knives as fast as they can make them. They have expanded their factory once and are nearly done with a much larger expansion so they can make more to sell.

Resalers buy them up before the average Joe can get them - kinda like entertainment events. Happens with most popular brands. Then the resalers can control the market and jack up prices well above msrp. Buy customs direct from the craftsman here vs mass produces blades. The makers here put more passion into their work and you get a knife usually like no other while supporting small businesses!

Sprint runs tend to be hard to grab, but most exclusives tend to stick around a bit longer. Best bet is to sign up with the various dealers, and they'll send you notifications for when their newest exclusives are going to be dropping.

I'm guessing you're pretty new to collecting knives. I don't mean that as an insult in any way. It's just that what you're describing is basically the everyday experience of knife collecting. Sometimes you're lucky and get it when it drops, sometimes you're not and you need to go on a wild goose chase. I guarantee just about everyone here has at least one knife that has eluded them for years. There's a reason this place has a thriving marketplace. The stuff you have listed there is honestly not a hard find. I suggest you get a paid membership and ask around. It's a laughably low cost for the knowledge and resources this place provides.

I guess my point is why is a cruwear blade with g10 scales “exclusive” there should be a standard color set that you can buy any day of the week. But there isn’t. The only option is a flexible Micarta that I’ve had issues with on two separate knives.

Maybe follow the directions about sending it into Spyderco like Kristi posted in reply to your post over on Spyderco's Forum.
Maybe read the original post that I’ve tried 3 separate knives and have already returned them for the same issue.

Well. I think I'm going to pick up a Magnacut PM2 and have the OD Green AWT Aluminum Liner Delete scales tossed on it. Thoughts? Kind of pricey but I think it's what I want.

It is kind if annoying honestly. I get why they do sprint runs. The annoying part is the limited runs are better than the standard options, but then they're gone. In my opinion, ditch the standard options and offer the upgraded sprints as regular offerings would be better. But I do gotta give spyderco alot of credit. They DO have alot of premium offerings in their standard lineup now like magnacut, s110v, k390, 15v and maxamet. That can be bought any day of the year.

I only have a 15v pm2 because one major knife retailer raised the price on it and apparently noone wanted it at that price, they had 2 left NIB, it was a sprint and everywhere else had been soldout for awhile. But it was still cheaper than any s90v BM, so to me still a great value.

Better exactly in what way?

Back