annoying day at the grinder

Ah hell! You ever have one of those days, where you're grinding a knife and you keep screwing it up, each time you attempt to 'fix' it!!!!! Aaaaaaaahhhh!. How frustrating. Eventually, I ended up with an *alright* grind, but damnit, how annoying. If I hadn't already heat treated the knife, I would have chucked it, literally.

Its been a while since I threw a knife out of frustration.

-Jason

I hear your pain brother! Last night I finished sanding the bolsters and handle of a knife to perfection and took the tape off of the blade that I had finished to 1000 grit and what did I find? Scratches on the ricasso from the 12" half round bastard file I used (oh so carefully, so I thought) to file the bolsters down. Those scratches are about 36 grit!!! There's only a few of them and they are small so if I'm lucky I can work them out without screwing up the rest of the finish. This particular knife has been nothing but frustration for the past week!

What I hate just about as much is when you finally think your having a lucky day the grind is going great then you find that you were not carefull enough with the damascus and there is a thin line of slage just where you want to stop grinding. You grind a bit more and it does not go away. Then you don't throw it away you keep it to remind you to keep your forging clean when folding.

Back