Another folder question

Hello, all.

I believe I read somewhre that the theoretical Busse folder might have a compression lock. My question is, why not make the folder along the lines of a Sebenza? Not a carbon copy, but the basic principle of the Sebenza. Why clutter up the knife with fancy locking mechanisms of any sort, when a simple, basically 3 piece integral lock design might be better? :confused: 1/8" thick infi scales with a 3.75" long, 1/8" thick infi blade and dual thumbstuds [or better yet, an opening hole], with a smooth coat finish on the blade- doesn't that sound better? A model of utiitarian infi efficiency, something to perfectly compliment Jerry's cleanly designed fixed blades. Make the clip tip up/down switchable, and I'd be quite happy.

Of course, I'll be in line for a Busse folder of any sort, but it seems to me that a simple, clean and straightforward design would be the most logical path for this knife. Aren't his fixed blades like that? After all, how easy would it be to strip, clean and reassemble some kind of fancy lock folder? What do you do if you lose a part, and you're out in the field someplace? How does one improvise a tiny spring, or whatever the part may be?

Yours in INFInite folder patience,
Frank

I have not followed the folder "theories" all of the way, but I bet we all get a surprise when Jerry deliver's!

...just this feeling I have...

:D ;)

Quoted by Lenny:

"I spoke to the nice gentleman at the Busse booth yesterday.
I believe his name was Mark.
Anyway, here's what I could glean from him about the folder:
Ti handle slabs, compression lock, just over 3" blade length, INFI steel, priced like a large Sebenza (the obvious target), available before the end of the year.
OK, so that's not as good as a picture, but it'll have to do."

I bought it too, but was sort of skeptical about blade length and locking type.

Later in that thread, Jerry said:

"I'd like to thank Marc for keeping the Busse Code of Silence and following our golden rule of, 'When in doubt. . . . Mislead' "

I doubt Marc was being serious in the upper quote; Busse is usually ultra-tight-lipped about this kind of stuff. Besides, Jerry has officially stated that the Busse folder will have a totally new locking mechanism (in fact, IIRC, one of the reasons the folder is taking a while is that Jerry and company had to make sure the mechanism wasn't infringing on any patents). Plus, I doubt the 3" blade length, though it's possible. BTW, I've heard there is a prototype, and that the opening is smooth and the lock-up tight :D .

Also, Jerry said:

"We are in the process of purchasing more equipment to meet our production needs. Much of this new equipment is earmarked for 'folder only' duties."

Have you noticed I'm yearning for the folder too :D ;) ?

Frankie
I think Andrew is right on the money on his answer. I don't think anyone except Jerry knows what the lock is or what will or won't be included with the folder.

I'm sure that it will be well worth the wait though. :D:D

As I've said before, one thing we do know is that it will most likely fold ;):D

Integrals have similar problems as liners in that they can release under heavy grips, torques and can jam, integrals being worse than liners in the latter case. Integrals also have a large part of the handle not inline with the rest of it because it has bent inwards to form the lock, not the most ergonomic design. As well, any wear on the bar means the whole side has to be replaced, and because of the nature of the lock, there is a decent amount of wear induced in opening/closing and during use. I would prefer a lock back to an integral lock. I would like to see an integral handle though, basically a one-piece design, no slabs. As this is very robust in regards to heavy use as there is nothing to come apart.

-Cliff

Originally posted by Cliff Stamp
I would like to see an integral handle though, basically a one-piece design, no slabs. As this is very robust in regards to heavy use as there is nothing to come apart.

What would you make the handle out of, Ti? Would you have micarta or G10 inlays in them or something?

BTW, I bet Jerry had/has you in the back of his mind when he designed or is designing the folder :p

Wow! A heavy weight battle is brewing--Cliff vs the Busse Folder.

I'd buy the Busse folder sight unseen and just know I would not be disappointed.

Ti would be a solid choice, but way overkill, a decent stainless steel (not cutlery grade) would be fine, even a decent Al alloy would easily be strong enough. The stainless one would be nice as it would be hard enough for a hammer poll. You hit on the critical problem though which is grip, an all metal handle isn't the most comfortable or secure grip. You can make it secure with checkering, but still in extreme temp ranges its not grip friendly at all.

Optimally I would want the entire grip covered with something like G10 or Micarta so you would not have any exposed metal, or at the very least, the bare minimum. However even just two thin side slabs would be great. Unlike handle slabs on non-integral designs, these can't be bent or broken off as the metal frame will keep the handle rigid. Note that the whole thing would have to be milled out of a solid piece of stock so the price for an integral design isn't going to be cheap.

However, even non-integral designs can be very solid. Go with dual thick, hardened, stainless steel liners. Overlay that with thick slabs of G10 with a solid multi-pinned construction and you would have a very stiff and solid handle. This isn't a pen knife, it doesn't have to be only 3/16 of an inch across the handle and a few ounces. Fill out the handle with solid material, it will also make it much more ergonomic under heavy use anyway.

toothed :

Cliff vs the Busse Folder

vs not-the-busse-folder :

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/images/vision_bits.jpg

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/images/vision_blade_broken.jpg

-Cliff

Cliff - why do you say that Ti would be way overkill?
I would think that would be the best option, unless it has some shortcomings that I'm not aware of.

Ti would in fact be very nice, one of the decent alloys anyway. However a stainless handle would be unbreakable, the blade would go before you would snap the handle, and the corrosion resistance can easily be way above cutlery grade steels, as is the toughness. The only drawback vs Ti would be the higher weight, but for heavy use folder some heft is a decent thing. Ti is also much more intert relative to chemical attacks (acids), but those would chew the blade up badly anyway. For a Ti blade though, a Ti handle makes a lot of sense (Mission MPF).

-Cliff

Back