Another one of my BM's edge is toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

privateisland

BANNED
I have owned Busse's for years. Overall they are nice blades. I remember when they first started making the INFI metal, they had video's of a blade doing some amazing things. Since owning them, I think they are pretty well made and the steel is good.

Well, I took my BM-E out 2 wks ago and for the hell of it, I chopped some old 2x4's for some extra (camping) firewood. This is the second BM that I've really rolled, flattened, chipped etc the edge. It hit the 2x4 and some loose dirt. I'll take some pics of it and post it. I mean the edge is going to need to be reground by a lot :>(

I'm not saying it's a poor blade, I bet most of my blades would have got just as banged up. The only big difference I've noticed with INFI is how corrosion resistant the metal is. I can use it in the field and not have to worry about it rusting overnight. Other then that, both of my BM's have had the edge really f'd up by simple chopping.

I'm kind of disappointed in it's performance, I'm not sure why it happened? Anybody else have this happen while chopping? I'm posting a scan (I don't have a camera with me).
It's a asymmetrical edge and I'm showing you the side that you sharpen. It's a pretty wide grind so I thought you could see that side better. On the other side it's rolled all the way to the crinkle coat.

Attachments

• edge2.jpg
    edge2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 487
I have owned Busse's for years. Overall they are nice blades. I remember when they first started making the INFI metal, they had video's of a blade doing some amazing things. Since owning them, I think they are pretty well made and the steel is good.

Well, I took my BM-E out 2 wks ago and for the hell of it, I chopped some old 2x4's for some extra (camping) firewood. This is the second BM that I've really rolled, flattened, chipped etc the edge. It hit the 2x4 and some loose dirt. I'll take some pics of it and post it. I mean the edge is going to need to be reground by a lot :>(

I'm not saying it's a poor blade, I bet most of my blades would have got just as banged up. The only big difference I've noticed with INFI is how corrosion resistant the metal is. I can use it in the field and not have to worry about it rusting overnight. Other then that, both of my BM's have had the edge really f'd up by simple chopping.

I'm kind of disappointed in it's performance, I'm not sure why it happened? Anybody else have this happen while chopping? I'm posting a scan (I don't have a camera with me).
It's a asymmetrical edge and I'm showing you the side that you sharpen. It's a pretty wide grind so I thought you could see that side better. On the other side it's rolled all the way to the crinkle coat.

Your blurry microscopic scratches are just badges of experience. Now you get a chance to 'commune with the stones' for a while and then go beat something else with it. I think I feel a microscopic tear welling up. Sniff, sniff. (Insert banned Emoticon here.)

Thank you Ban for having a more helpful comment that I can muster.

Last edited:
Sand, small rocks, and other similar debris are quite a bit harder than steel. I have chopped numerous 2X4s using a FBM with a much thinner than factory edge with no problems. Perhaps you accidentally hit something hard without realizing it???

Mh, no it's much bigger then it looks. It has a high grind on one side. This is the "asymmetrical" edge. On the other side it's all the way to the coating :>( I'll take some pics later and post how bad it really is. Sorry about the poor scan.

I'm just disappointed in the blade. I originally bought it because of all the hype of them being "Nuclear tough". I'll admit it's a nice blade, but it's performance is as good as any of my other blades IMO. The only thing I like about the INFI more is that it does not rust as much.

post some real pics

or at least some

real big.

cant even tell what I am looking at etc

Sand, small rocks, and other similar debris are quite a bit harder than steel. I have chopped numerous 2X4s using a FBM with a much thinner than factory edge with no problems. Perhaps you accidentally hit something hard without realizing it???

Yup, that's what happened to me. Nothing wrong with the knife, just me, the user... Rocks, even little ones will be hard on steel, period...

DSC_0001.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to add that since this damage, Ban put an INSANE convex edge on it for me. SILLY SHARP!! :eek:

Last edited:
I have slightly rolled infi by chopping wood before but never to the top of the bevel. Your BM might have been hardened incorrectly. :confused: I have also accidentally split a couple of 2x4s that had hails in it... :eek: not good.

jeepnut, Yep that's what it looks like. I have no problem with the edge rolling/chipping. I'd expect a normal good knife to do that. But, for a knife touted as "nuclear tough" etc, I'm kind of let down. Why pay top dollar for a normal good knife?

I have also accidentally split a couple of 2x4s that had hails in it... :eek: not good.

Yep, happened to me a few times also. Screws are even worse because they are hardened. I now do a quick glance for old screws/nails and avoid chopping through spots with seemingly empty holes with broken screws/nails.

jeepnut, Yep that's what it looks like. I have no problem with the edge rolling/chipping. I'd expect a normal good knife to do that. But, for a knife touted as "nuclear tough" etc, I'm kind of let down. Why pay top dollar for a normal good knife?

The knife as a whole is super duper tough. The thinner working edge will obviously show wear and tear as any other knife. It is unreasonable to expect a fine knife edge to go through rocks and other hard material with no damage regardless of knife steel. Knives are sharpened with abrasives. Rocks, sand, and dirt are all a form of abrasive.

Yeah, the nails messed up my HH pretty bad, cant imagine what a screw would do? :eek:

Yep, happened to me a few times also. Screws are even worse because they are hardened. I now do a quick glance for old screws/nails and avoid chopping through spots with seemingly empty holes with broken screws/nails.

I hit the belly of my FFBM on a large river rock the other day, I hit it hard enough that the vibrations from the impact stung my hand. I rolled/dented the crap out of a 2 in. section of the blade, on my first time using it, needless to say I was a little disappointed.:rolleyes: However, INFI is sooo easy to sharpen, wet 600 grit sandpaper, a mousepad and 40 minutes made it razor sharp again in the damaged area. 2000 grit and a strop made it sparkle, I like it better now.:p

Ban, is it super tough, or just "over built". I've begun to wonder that about the BM's. If it's overbuilt, the knife as a whole will be tough. But, the edge still has to come down to "normal knife specs" to cut. So should they be considered just "over built" knives with normal expectancy of the edge?

Greg, You'd be super disappointed if you'd had read about INFI when it first came out. You would have thought you could cut through ANYTHING! :>(

Well, that image is so blurry it could be rightly called magic. Now, chopping into abrasives will cause edge damage, no matter who makes the knife. Don't chop dirt with a knife. That's not what they're for. You can do that, and it won't break a tough knife, but it will always hurt the edge to some degree.

If you're worried that your BM could be defective, send it to Busse and I'm sure they'll check if anything is wrong with the heat treat and such.

As for the nuclear tough part, I think they are. Try putting some lateral pressure on your knives and see which breaks first, your BM or the others - equal thickness and profile, or not. ;)

Elen, I'm going to avoid talking bad as I like the knife. But, when they came out, they were touted basically invincible. But they do break like any other knife. So I'm feeling that they are just on equal grounds of other quality knives. Not that it's bad, but they are just on par with others (except they are more corrosion resistance)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421583

I would love to see better pics... I can't come to believe you did all this damage just by chopping wood ???? I have never had a problem...

Yes, Infi can chip. Most of the time is always rolls and there is not problem. I did manage to completely chip out my GW... I steeled the roll/dent out.. test cut some paper and literally the straightened roll just gave way and a chunk of infi landed on my work bench. If that is not a chip I don't know what is...

Picture327.jpg

Picture329.jpg

Picture330.jpg

Here is another scan. The black part is the crinkle coat. I labeled everything for you to see.

Attachments

• edge3.jpg
    edge3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 253
Elen, I'm going to avoid talking bad as I like the knife. But, when they came out, they were touted basically invincible. But they do break like any other knife. So I'm feeling that they are just on equal grounds of other quality knives. Not that it's bad, but they are just on par with others (except they are more corrosion resistance)

In my experience, they do not break like any other knife. They will, of course, break when stressed enough. But "enough to break a Busse" seems to be a lot more stress than "enough to break most other quality knives."

So, I'm feeling they're tougher than other quality knives. Not magic, but tougher.

I do remember how INFI was advertised when it came out. I don't recall anyone saying you could chop through rocks with it and expect the edge to be undamaged...

Your new image seems to be a lot clearer than the first. Looks like there's two large rolls. That happens when you chop dirt - dirt is sand, and sand is rocks of various sizes.

Here is a Skelly Key I broke :thumbup:

prying apart a log.. "snap"

DSC03924.jpg

DSC03923.jpg

Here is another scan. The black part is the crinkle coat. I labeled everything for you to see.

Yea, that pic is a little better. Damn, Does not look good at all. The edge is beat...

You know what????
I have a Original Satin Jack LE that I beat on. I have chopped down many trees with it even though one would usually avoid doing that with the given model. It has a factory Zero/convex edge. I have noticed the edge is slightly turning into a bit of a recurve, because of the repeat blows on the sweet spot. Oh well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back