Photos Another One Piece Knife: The "Nkonka"

The "Nkonka" is really special within the One Piece Range, because of what's inside the hollow handle. It is the first and only OPK with a set of tools inside the handle. If you unscrew the cap you will find a bit holder with a set of various screw driver bits and a little extension bolt to be passed through the holes of the cap, in order to provide extra torque. If I understand correctly, the idea was born because of Chris' passion for motorcycle racing. Although I doubt that having a One Piece Knife at your belt while doing motorcycle racing is a great idea :)

I've had some great conversation with Anne about the knife and she was very helpful clarifying a few points. Additionally she sent me a scan of the original printed brochure, which I attach to this post.

The 2nd thing which is special/different at the Nkonka is the construction of the guard. Anne confirmed that the "finials" ...... I called them "guard balls" :) ...... are made of titanium. She also confirmed that the cap with the tool set won't fit to any other OPK than the Nkonka.
The structure of the hollow handle was different for the Nkonka - slightly longer to accommodate the shaft and slightly larger in diameter.

In an old BF post from 2002 it was said that Tony Marfione was involved into producing the aluminium parts which are holding the tool set. That is wrong, as Anne clarified. Any acknowledgement to Microtech in connection to the tool kit is because they had also come up with a tool kit concept. Therefore CRK made a note within their Nkonka brochure, saying that "The concept for an in-handle screwdriver kit was initiated by Tony Marfione of MicroTech but the execution, components and details are unique to Chris Reeve."

I also asked Anne about the rubber o-rings at the sheet of my Nkonka and that I noticed some pics showing a lanyard instead of these o-rings. Anne confirmed "Both lanyard and o-rings are original. Initially, we supplied the sheath with the lanyard (that is how it is in the brochure attached) but then we changed to the o-rings. I would not tell you when the change occurred. The purpose is simply additional security."

Again Anne was "the ultimate source" for clarifying questions about vintage CRK and I am just honored that she maintains communication with and support to customers. Always a great pleasure!

Here we go with a few pics.

OPK, Nkonka, 01

OPK, Nkonka, 02

OPK, Nkonka, 03

OPK, Nkonka, 04

Attachments

• Nkonka brochure.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Very interesting! Thanks for the post, photos, and brochure. Beautiful knife and sheath. :thumbsup:

Awesome James. I have the Spearpoint Version. Only OPK's with a toolkit in the handle....!!!

Back