another overnighter: buzzballz.

JV3

fiddleback forge arete in scandi - one of my grail knives...took me years to track one down. this was my third overnighter with it and i must say it's the closest knife so far that might replace my mora 510 as my overall favorite fixed blade :eek:

120_001_zpseufjwrkf.jpg

birch bark is one of my favorite natural tinder but this paper birch specifically doesn't grow in the areas i frequent (we have plenty of yellow or swamp birch though)...i saved it from a store bought firewood bundle years ago and once in awhile i use some...like sipping from an expensive bottle of whisky rather than chugging it on a friday night rager :)

120_002_zpsipedargq.jpg

some of the logs were still wet so i stood them up to dry and it also doubles as a heat reflector.

120_003_zpszzo24kem.jpg

buzzballz - camp present from the mad indian's son, parker...fitting since it was st. patrick's day weekend.

120_004_zpsv9q4fjrh.jpg

light snack while i wait for the beef stew to cook.

120_005_zpsmqu9l3fw.jpg

still waiting...so had steak and mushrooms for appetizer.

120_006_zpsmcae5v0l.jpg

beef stew is done! rice was brought from home already cooked...i forgot to take pics of the prep but i did miss my mora 510 while slicing up the onion, carrots and potatoes with my fiddleback...pieces were flying all over the place due to it's thickness :D

120_007_zpsdww2kchz.jpg

fiddleback forge arete in scandi - one of my grail knives...took me years to track one down. this was my third overnighter with it and i must say it's the closest knife so far that might replace my mora 510 as my overall favorite fixed blade :eek:

120_001_zpseufjwrkf.jpg

birch bark is one of my favorite natural tinder but this paper birch specifically doesn't grow in the areas i frequent (we have plenty of yellow or swamp birch though)...i saved it from a store bought firewood bundle years ago and once in awhile i use some...like sipping from an expensive bottle of whisky rather than chugging it on a friday night rager :)

120_002_zpsipedargq.jpg

some of the logs were still wet so i stood them up to dry and it also doubles as a heat reflector.

120_003_zpszzo24kem.jpg

buzzballz - camp present from the mad indian's son, parker...fitting since it was st. patrick's day weekend.

120_004_zpsv9q4fjrh.jpg

light snack while i wait for the beef stew to cook.

120_005_zpsmqu9l3fw.jpg

still waiting...so had steak and mushrooms for appetizer.

120_006_zpsmcae5v0l.jpg

beef stew is done! rice was brought from home already cooked...i forgot to take pics of the prep but i did miss my mora 510 while slicing up the onion, carrots and potatoes with my fiddleback...pieces were flying all over the place due to it's thickness :D

120_007_zpsdww2kchz.jpg

Very nice post Jay. I was prepping for the final push in the divorce and completely missed this one. The Arete is one of my favs of Andy's bushcraft knives.

Reactions: JV3
I like the 'standing wet wood' / fire deflector idea. I'mma try that...

Reactions: JV3
Back