• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Another Paypal Discussion

And it just gets worse! Just checking the Exchange. Many ff requests......and this is what gets me nuts. 1 seller is asking to add 5% for PP fees, another 4%. Where do they come up with these numbers?
You gotta be kidding me......Gold members also.
Pass.

Joe

And it just gets worse! Just checking the Exchange. Many ff requests......and this is what gets me nuts. 1 seller is asking to add 5% for PP fees, another 4%. Where do they come up with these numbers?
You gotta be kidding me......Gold members also.
Pass.

Joe

The best is when they say it is paypal goods only but they need to add on fees. Why even say that? Just add on the fees in your asking price. The next genius thing is usually "insurance is extra".

I'm no PayPal fan from my past dealings on eBay, is there a good reason why people don't use Google Wallet for sending/receiving payments? I've had good experiences so far.

Never had a problem with paypal , I wouldnt buy marijuana drugs or guns through there they keep track of everything.

What the OP said is spot on, I will not deal with anyone asking "net". It not only protects the buyer but also the seller ask what you want for it and include the fees in the overall cost.

What is "payment via gift"? I've yet to make a sale, and I'm set up on PayPal, and certainly will do my best to make any buyer happy because he may come back. Is this the way that one should market? Noob welcomes any sound advice, please.

What is "payment via gift"? I've yet to make a sale, and I'm set up on PayPal, and certainly will do my best to make any buyer happy because he may come back. Is this the way that one should market? Noob welcomes any sound advice, please.

The seller pays PayPal a % of the money they receive. These are the fees that keep PayPal in business, and you agree to pay when you set up your account.
PayPal offers a service for it's customers where two people with PayPal accounts can send each other money without incurring any fees. This is the "gift" payment. It expressly forbidden in the PayPal terms of service to send a gift to pay for goods and services. As a seller you could have your account suspended or even closed for abusing the gift payment.
As a buyer you have protections from PayPal against fraud. When you send someone a gift through PayPal you give up those protections.
If you are a shady seller the gift option can be used to beat PayPal out of their fees, and screw the buyer out of their purchase leaving them with no recourse.
If you are a buyer that pays someone for goods or services not yet received using gift, you are an idiot.

The 2 most common themes here for Buyers being Ripped Off are: 1) Paying for a purchase via PayPal Gift and 2) Paying a knife maker in full prior to him making the knife.

1) Paying for a purchase via PayPal Gift is fundamentally dishonest for both parties. PayPal charges .35 + 2.9% which is peanuts and worth the protection offered to the Buyer and service offered to the Seller.

2) I can't count the number of threads by people who've paid knife makers in advance and haven't received their items years after they paid.

Remember 99.9 % or more of all the transactions here one Bladeforums are smooth and without a problem. Usually only the bad ones get mentioned and the common theme for the bad ones are: 1) Paying for a purchase via PayPal Gift and 2) Paying a knife maker in full prior to him making the knife.

Don't forget to ship with a signature upon delivery. It is in the PP user agreement for sellers.

Its always nice when buyers don't wanna pay makers there asking price an pm them a bribe will you take a percentage less if I pay u via F/F Or Gift...? It works both ways.. Just saying..
Everyone in the end will agree to disagree with each other..Thats why the world is the way it is..

Had an interesting one a couple weeks ago.
Guy had a knife for sale that my son really wanted. Only $50. Guy wanted a net payment.
I figured what the hell even tho I usually pass those ads.....its for my son.
I sent $51.50........thought it was 3%. The seller messages me asking for .29 more. I calmly asked for a refund.
Best bet is to do what I usually do and just move on.
Still shocked that long time and respected members are guilty of this BS.
Joe

Had an interesting one a couple weeks ago.
Guy had a knife for sale that my son really wanted. Only $50. Guy wanted a net payment.
I figured what the hell even tho I usually pass those ads.....its for my son.
I sent $51.50........thought it was 3%. The seller messages me asking for .29 more. I calmly asked for a refund.
Best bet is to do what I usually do and just move on.
Still shocked that long time and respected members are guilty of this BS.
Joe

How petty. Even when you were kind enough to oblige to pay the sellers fees, they still tried to swindle a whopping 4 cents out of you. Or their math skills are poor. Or they haven't a clue about the services they are using. PayPal fees (for GOODs in the US) are .29%+$0.30.

Pass.

Sorry BW......he asked for $0.29 more bro!!! Not .29%
I lied about being calm tho!!! Can't stand any type of petty shit. How does someone get the balls to ask for 29 cents more?? I could never ask anyone for an additional 29 cents on a $50 sale. Petty.
If you really want the fees, just ask for the total needed.
Every time I go against firmly held beliefs I get screwed.
Net to me???? Goodbye......I'll just buy it new thank you!
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were clear good sir. I meant that with him asking for the additional 29 cents, he was asking for 4 cents over what the fees actually should have been. 2.9%+$0.30 of $50 is $1.75. He wanted $1.79 total. Again, quite petty. He probably could have collected more than that from looking in his couch cushions or the town fountain. Might of made the entirety of the fees back.

I still have not heard anyone that asks for GIFT give a good reason for them doing so. Others have said that they probably ask for it because if you have a certain number of transactions a year, or a certain amount of income coming in from PayPal, you have to report it to the IRS. Don't know if that's true but it doesn't sound too far off the mark to me.

Asking for fees is just lazy (can't be bothered to calculate the difference) and petty and trying to keep the advertised price down and getting one up over the other sellers through dishonest means and false advertising.

I've recieved paypal gift payments once or twice. But NEVER because I asked for them. Only because I was already friends with the people sending the funds and they (on their own initiative) wanted to do me a favor.

If you really want $50 for something...calculate the damn fees yourself and ask for $52. I doubt a lot of people that want the item are going to be dissuaded by those $2.

Personally I charge what I think is a fair price for the product and eat the fees....it's the cost of selling to people for who a bank transfer is a laborious process.

You were clear good sir. I meant that with him asking for the additional 29 cents, he was asking for 4 cents over what the fees actually should have been. 2.9%+$0.30 of $50 is $1.75. He wanted $1.79 total. Again, quite petty. He probably could have collected more than that from looking in his couch cushions or the town fountain. Might of made the entirety of the fees back.

I still have not heard anyone that asks for GIFT give a good reason for them doing so. Others have said that they probably ask for it because if you have a certain number of transactions a year, or a certain amount of income coming in from PayPal, you have to report it to the IRS. Don't know if that's true but it doesn't sound too far off the mark to me.

Ya know something BW, the more I think about this the more it pisses me off. I've been in business close to 40 years and would NEVER dream of being this petty.......EVER! This guy sent me 3 e mails specifically asking for the additional .29!!
And like LX says it's either laziness, how the hell could I figure the fees if he's making them up along the way, or to show a lower selling price.
I have sent F&F to members here that I have gotten friendly with or dealt with a couple of times......BUT they never asked for it.
Looking through the Exchange this morning and it's amazing to me how many guys are asking for the fees from buyers and not stating totals. Mess in the making.
Ugh.....rant over and thanks for posting your thoughts Bench & LX.
Joe

The seller pays PayPal a % of the money they receive. These are the fees that keep PayPal in business, and you agree to pay when you set up your account.
PayPal offers a service for it's customers where two people with PayPal accounts can send each other money without incurring any fees. This is the "gift" payment. It expressly forbidden in the PayPal terms of service to send a gift to pay for goods and services. As a seller you could have your account suspended or even closed for abusing the gift payment.
As a buyer you have protections from PayPal against fraud. When you send someone a gift through PayPal you give up those protections.
If you are a shady seller the gift option can be used to beat PayPal out of their fees, and screw the buyer out of their purchase leaving them with no recourse.
If you are a buyer that pays someone for goods or services not yet received using gift, you are an idiot.

This thread goes back a long way and I'm disinclined to read it all the way through. I read the first few and last couple of pages. The thread's now about a month stale, but I'll add my 3% + 35 cents to the discussion anyway. I'll also quote FLymon as his post is directly to the point. I've bolded his last sentence not to add insult to those who've paid by F&F, but because it goes to the heart of the discussion. Why would you as a buyer break the rules and sacrifice your protection for a few cents on the dollar?

I do consider using the term "net to me" or some such phrase, asking for fees beyond the stated price, or making up some amount for fees (like 4 or 5%) to be petty and somewhat annoying. C'mon, just add the fee in as part of the price--how hard is that?

I don't let a "net ask" be a deal-breaker, though, if I want to make the purchase. If I'm meeting the asking price, I just add in the 3% and round up to the next dollar. I make this clear in my PM.

Generally, I'll make a somewhat lower offer (also by PM) for the knife anyway and make sure the seller knows that I intend to pay G&S. I might offer less than their net ask or offer to split the fees or to pay what they're asking but by G&S. I have never paid for a blade other than by G&S and I can't recall that insistence ever causing a deal to go south. Maybe we can't agree on a price, but if 3% breaks the deal, either you didn't really want to sell it or I didn't really want to buy it.

As with most things in life and in business, open and honest communication is the key.

BTW--I F&F'd a contribution the other day to someone helping out a sick friend. Paypal charged me the 3% plus .35. Is this something new?

Edit: I just checked out the Paypal site and I guess if I sent the money from a linked bank account or from a Paypal balance there would have been no fee. Because I used my debit card I guess it goes through as a credit card transaction and PP recovers the fee.

Last edited:
Back