Another question for Horsewright.

Horsewright , I commented in another thread about your bolster grinding. I also commented on the back ground on a holster. Beautiful work by the way. Your reply was very helpful on the bolster problem I have. But the leather work included in that reply blew me away. Two questions really: what brand and weight veg tan leather do you use, and what do you use for that gorgeous finish. I’m sorry if this is the 10,000th time someone has asked you this.

Thanks, Jon

All flower and or oak carving is done on Wickett and Craig russet saddle leather, 8/10 oz. Most other tooling on sheaths etc is done on 7/8 oz Herman Oak. thats what most sheaths are made from but if they are carved its Wickett and Craig. Just a very light coat of warm (have a dedicated crockpot) neatsfoot oil and let that set, usually over night. then I do this for finish on carving:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/antiquing-highlighting-the-horsewright-way.1554236/

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask if ya have any questions. A guy can always call too.

Thank you sir for the reply. I ordered bag kote and I’m anxious to try it it out. Do you think similar results could be achieved without the overnight soak in warm neatsfoot oil? I’ll do some trial and error myself. I also ordered some bar grounding tools I asked about in the other thread. I wish it were easier to post pictures here and I could show some of my work. I don’t have any of those photo sharing apps and I wouldn’t know which one to get anyway. Thank you very much again. You don’t know how much this was a kick in the butt to me to get out of a rut.

Jon

JonBishop, in your post above you wrote "Do you think similar results could be achieved without the overnight soak in warm Neatsfoot Oil". I think you may have mis read for misunderstood Dave's post. You do not immerse or soak the item in the oil. It applied in one and maybe two very light coats. the over night allows the oil to level out completely and become one beautiful color. Soaking it in oil will create a mess you couldn't even believe.

Double check with Dave, but I bet he does not "soak" in the oil.

Paul

Thank you sir for the reply. I ordered bag kote and I’m anxious to try it it out. Do you think similar results could be achieved without the overnight soak in warm neatsfoot oil? I’ll do some trial and error myself. I also ordered some bar grounding tools I asked about in the other thread. I wish it were easier to post pictures here and I could show some of my work. I don’t have any of those photo sharing apps and I wouldn’t know which one to get anyway. Thank you very much again. You don’t know how much this was a kick in the butt to me to get out of a rut.

Jon

Yeah Jon don't soak it. Just brush a very light coat on, VERY LIGHT. Then let is set overnight, not soak overnight. Check this tutorial I did on pancake sheaths it covers the oiling:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pancake-sheaths-and-how-i-go-about-them-pic-heavy.1262927/

Would like to see some pics and then we can help ya further if you like. I use Imgur to share pics. its pretty simple and free. I take pics with a camera then resize em on the computer to 1500 pixels on the long axis and then drag and drop onto imgur. If I want to put a pic here in BF I open the pic in Imgur, click on the BB code box which automatically copies it and then I paste here. Pretty simple even an old non techie guy like me can do it.

Here's a group of sheaths "setting" overnight. I move them from the shop to one of the kitchen couters after oiling:

t3LOgZ4.jpg

sSXpZAi.jpg

Sheath on the right has been oiled, sheath on the left to do yet:

ZSrHG3m.jpg

Both done:

YogRzlw.jpg

Then they go inside overnight. Next morning I'll rub the edges with a product called Wyoming Quick Slick, also from Barry King.

jbxjGJe.jpg

RZY8dUc.jpg

Then they are gonna get my antiquing process already detailed in a link above:

OwSeUSd.jpg

Finished, these were for a fellow BF member:

AJM2rKr.jpg

That is beautiful stuff. I misunderstood the soaking post. I should have realized you don’t soak leather. I was told or read at one time that you don’t soak leather anything in oils. I downloaded the imgur app and I honestly have no clue how it works. I’m working from an iphone. It’s all I have. Hopefully someone has some tips. I can’t find anything on the custom search. I can email some pics to someone if they are willing to post them. My limited work is ameture-ish at best. I would still like to show it.

Thanks, Jon

Feel free to email them to me Jon. info@horsewrightclothing.com. I'll post them. Thats how I got started here years ago. Anthony from Omega Leatherworks would post pics for me. Find ya a 14- 18 year old kid they'll show ya how to use imgur in bout a minute.

Back