"Another sheath question" or "Rowan vs Ontario"

I'm looking at the RC5 and I've noticed that some come with the kydex sheath and some come with a cordura sheath. Is the kydex only from Rowan and the cordura from Ontario? I know that either manufacturer will be good, and I've been told that Mike and Jeff will stand behind either, but I think that I'd prefer a Rowan (who I've been told is the current maker). Any input would be most appreciated, opinions are not always ignored.

Thanks,
Mykel

Not sure about the Ontario models, but for Rat Cutlery knives it can be both. RC-3 and RC-4 knives can come with just kydex or cordura molle backed kydex. RC-5 had a cordura sheath until a few months ago and now it has a kydex. RC-6 only has a kydex sheath as far as I've seen.

never mind...post deleted

Last edited:
The RC5 is ONLY made by Rowan/RAT Cutlery. The similar named one I think is the RAT 5 that Ontario made. Two different knives.

The RC5 however originally came with a cordura sheath with a pouch on the front, then they switched to just issuing it with a kydex sheath.

I'm looking at the RC5 and I've noticed that some come with the kydex sheath and some come with a cordura sheath. Is the kydex only from Rowan and the cordura from Ontario? I know that either manufacturer will be good, and I've been told that Mike and Jeff will stand behind either, but I think that I'd prefer a Rowan (who I've been told is the current maker). Any input would be most appreciated, opinions are not always ignored.

Thanks,
Mykel

RAT cutlery doesnt warranty Ontario Rats.....They are 2 differant blades, by 2 differant makers.

Rowen makes a better product IMO, Ontario isnt bad, just not up to Rowens level. Plus you want a RAT product, get a RAT product from the best in the biz.

RAT cutlery doesnt warranty Ontario Rats.....They are 2 differant blades, by 2 differant makers.

Rowen makes a better product IMO, Ontario isnt bad, just not up to Rowens level. Plus you want a RAT product, get a RAT product from the best in the biz.

+1 on this

Back