Another Venturi Proto - bullnose

I couldn't help myself and I bought the bullnose venturi prototype from Darrel the other day - two days later, I find myself gleefully tearing into the little box that arrived. (one false alarm the day before when my knifekit arrived... mmm.. ddrII..).

Anyway, it is a *fantastic* knife, not very surprisingly, I guess. :) I spoke to Darrel on the phone for the first time the other day and he was extremely nice and we chatted for awhile about the venturi and balisongs and stuff. This bullnose profile is very reminiscent of a scimitar, a little more wavy - and when I brought it up Darrel told me the inspiration for the style.... the three stooges! Apparently he was watching an episode where one of them was running around waving a scimitar around and thus was born the bullnose. :)

So this knife is sweet, talonite blade that is *sharp* - cut a strip of cardboard with it just for kicks and it really outcuts my tachyon. It has a lot of similarities to the tachyone too, sandwich construction, the handles have surprisingly similar dimensions - but I had to check that three times before I'd believe it - the venturi just looks and feels a lot slimmer than the tach.

Flippingly speaking, it was difficult to put down. It is quiet like the tachyon, but a little more so. Smooth - the handles are rounded at the edges and it feels very nice.. sort of soft, in the hand.

A lot of nice touches, on the handle without the latch he has put a little dummy cap in so there's no hole to disrupt the lines. The bottom of the handles are gently rounded. As has been mentioned, there is a very favorable blade to handle ratio, way better than the bm's and better'n the tachyon's. He plans to push that out even further. I could see him squeeze another 1/4" of blade.

Ah well.. here's a picture of the knife:

vp-std-480.jpg

there are some more at this url:

http://slim.deasil.com/~felix/balis/vp/

on a random note, you probably can't see it in the pics very well, but something strangely satisfying is watching the spine of the blade (while the knife is closed) fade smoothly into the recesses of the handle. The backspacers are much smaller in the venturi making much more of the spine viewable. In case you couldn't tell... I like this a lot. If this is a prototype, the done deal is going to be amazing.

Congrats, man! I REALLY like that blade style as the Scimitar is one of my favorites. I firmed up my "007" set with Darrel yesteray and now the wait is on...........but that's alright, it'll take a while to save up the $$$'s.

Remember, good things come to those who wait...;)

What's this '007' thing I keep hearing about? Except James Bond.. ;)

And by the way - that's a great looking knife you've secured! :D
Remember: Don't flip protos. :p

Don't flip it?? It is too nice to not flip. Which is not to say, I'm practicing new routines with it and dropping it anywhere - it's taken good care of, but definitely being flipped.

I already cut myself.. ok, not with the venturi, but with my in my rush to open the box it came in I windmilled my tach but started to grab the handle before the blade cleared my fingers. Heh, just a scratch, fortunately. :)

And thanks guys, I'm really psyched about this one.

Originally posted by ghen
Umm, it is WAY too late for that! Did I do something wrong;)
Well, it's really up to you what you do with it, but I always thought that protos would be more valuable than the 'normal' knives, and you all know that if it's mint, it's even more worth. So a mint proto could be VERY much worth when time has flown. ;)

But on the other hand, it can also be a good thing to flip protos, because that way a poor person can say in March 2057: 'Hey guess what! I just bought a proto of the discontinued Venturi bullnose balisong by Darrel Raplph!' And everybody goes like 'OH MY GOD!! :eek: :eek:', but they don't know it actually costed less than new in 2000 because it had been flipped... ;)

Love it! I'm big on unique blade styles, as opposed to slight variations on more common styles, and that one is a real beauty. OOOHH, I can't wait!! I have set 003 coming to me and can hardly contain myself!...but like Dawkind said, it's probobly a good thing it wont be ready for a little while as i'll need the time to decide which internal organs to sell. I'm curious, Mr. Ralph, if the sets will come with some sort of case/box to neatly house each blade and the handels?

Keep the pic's coming, nothing get's my heart beating faster! I can only imagine what Mr. Ralph's versions of the others will be! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Guess you'll have to add that to your list of bali's when you come over Felix. Good score. Now to see how the Davidson compares to that one.

Oh Ixpfah: Not only do I flip my proto's, I take them apart... :D

Originally posted by tonyccw
Oh Ixpfah: Not only do I flip my proto's, I take them apart... :D
Well, you're a stunt man when it comes to balis. :D

One good thing about your taking aparts, though... (guess what!) We get to see how they're really built up. And that is usually pretty interesting (to see a Tachyon compared to an Erickson). Keep flippin' and takin' them apart, Tony! ;)

I am dieing to get my hornet.. but I'm way curious to see how it compares w/ the Gemini - which is not sandwich construction, right? Ahh.. I wonder if the Hornet and the Gemini will hit my bank account at the same time..

But, you know, I gotta start getting some more impressive bali's to bring over to your place, Tony!

Gorgeous knife Nybble! Thanks for posting it. I can't wait to see what Darrels got at the Show :)

It's beginning to bug me when guys outside the Forums get the good ones.., so we may have to establish a "Homeless Balisong Collectors Foundation".., since many of us will be standing in front of Convenience Stores with signs saying..."Will Work for Balisongs".., in the near future!

Glad you got it.., and thanks again for posting the nice picture!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Originally posted by ExamonLyf
It's beginning to bug me when guys outside the Forums get the good ones
The clue here, is to get these guys to the forum. Force 'em, if necessary (right spelled this time?)! :D

Back