Another way to enjoy bacon....

What have we here?

UX5H06c.jpg

Armadillo Eggs, with Reaper Jelly!

XsX3ERp.jpg

Armadillo Eggs are jalapeños with the innards removed, stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and pork BBQ rub, covered in a layer pork breakfast sausage (the kind that comes in a one pound chub like ground beef), and then wrapped in bacon, and sprinkled with more BBQ rub, then cooked in the smoker for about an hour and a half.

Excellent on their own, but even better with Reaper Jelly, which is made with a mixture of home-grown Carolina Reaper chilis, Habaneros (because if it was all Reapers, it would be too hot), pineapple, sugar, water and pectin. Reaper Jelly is also an awesome glaze for pork ribs.

Do I need an Alpha Regulator or can I still make these with only 3 of the OG Regulators?

Please message me with an approximate recipe (the Reaper Jelly is a challenge for me).

I'll prolly switch out the Cream Cheese for a Ricotta/Mozzarella/Romano mixture.

Looks freakin' yummeh!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do I need an Alpha Regulator or can I still make these with only 3 of the OG Regulators?

Please message me with an approximate recipe (the Reaper Jelly is a challenge for me).

I'll prolly switch out the Cream Cheese for a Ricotta/Mozzarella/Romano mixture.

Looks freakin' yummeh!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cream cheese works so much better for something like this, trust me.

I usually skip the sausage and just stuff the jalapeños with cream cheese and wrap with bacon.

Cream cheese works so much better for something like this, trust me.

I usually skip the sausage and just stuff the jalapeños with cream cheese and wrap with bacon.

The bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapeños are really good too. Maybe better. They're also less work, and you (or I, at least) can eat a bunch of them without feeling gross. With the Armadillo Eggs, I think two is the limit for me, and one is probably the right amount.

Last edited:
Those look amazing but the Reaper jelly is terrifying!!!

I don't have enough scotch to put that fire out!!!!

Let's Drink!

Jerry

John,
Looks AWESOME!!!!!!
I am having a family get together this weekend. I think I am gonna make a batch of those up (Maybe not the reaper jelly)LOL
XOXO
Amy-0

Those look amazing but the Reaper jelly is terrifying!!!

I don't have enough scotch to put that fire out!!!!

Let's Drink!

Jerry

So let me get this right, you tone down the Reaper with Habanero? ... good god man..... :eek::eek::eek: .... Aside from that, those look incredible :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Contrary to what you'd expect, the Reaper jelly is not really all that hot. Sugar dampens the burning effect of capsaicin, and the jelly is mostly sugar.

But making it is dangerous. I wore nitrile gloves while cutting up the chilis, then washed my hands three or four times after I was done, and still when I rubbed my eyes an hour or so later, it burned for about a half an hour.

Also, washing utensils that have come in contact with Reapers (or God forbid, the blender, when making hot sauce) has dangers of its own. Running water has a tendency to make atomized droplets of Reaper goodness go airborne, and it can be like breathing pepper spray. A relatively mild pepper spray, but still not at all pleasant.

Last edited:
Recipe or it didn't happen ;)
Please!

Toning down the heat with sugar or other complimentary sweetness is classic... the carrots vs habanero in Marie Sharp's hot sauce is my favorite example. With the burn reigned in, the more subtle flavors of the pepper come out, and most of them are exquisite!

Those look and sound amazing! Haven't played with the reapers at all, but they do sound good. My girlfriend and I have used ghost and/or scorpion peppers in quite a few concoctions, and even alone... after which the habaneros seem like a nice, flavorful, medium pepper!

I love those vids on YT with Chili Klaus, especially the one where he's conducting the orchestra and in the middle they all eat a pepper and then continue on playing- that is hilarious. I have a neighbor that likes the hot stuff. He and his buddy always chasing the Scoville units. His buddy ate a whole ghost pepper couple years ago - almost caved and went to the hospital but he toughed it out on the couch for about 5 hours thinking he was going to die.

My "whole ghost pepper experience" was conducted on a mostly full stomach... and with an entire pint of ice cream and big spoon in hand (sweet and fatty both help, and besides... ice cream)! My lips felt as if they were going to melt like the opening of The Ark...
... but then they just went numb and all was much better :cool:

Recipe or it didn't happen ;)
Please!

For the Armadillo Eggs, I used this recipe: https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/armadilloeggs

For the Reaper jelly, I started with this: https://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-habanero-jelly-441782 and then substituted five Reapers for five of the Habaneros. The sugar really tames the heat, so next time, I'm going to try all Reapers.

This was my first attempt at making jelly, and using the amount of pectin called for in the recipe gave me more a sauce than a jelly, which is fine for a glaze or to dip stuff in, but not what I was expecting. Even doubling the pectin didn't give me consistently jelly-like results.

Thank you fine sir, I will try them out! My grandma made awesome jelly/jam.... I might have to ring up my mom and see if any of that proprietary intel was handed down....

Looks wonderful. However I am scared of reapers and habeneros. When it comes to hot stuff I avoid it like the plague. Leave out the peppers and I am all in.

Garth

Looks wonderful. However I am scared of reapers and habeneros. When it comes to hot stuff I avoid it like the plague. Leave out the peppers and I am all in.

Garth

But if you leave out all the peppers, all you're left with is bacon wrapped cheese with pineapple syrup.

Ah yes, Ohio cuisine. I know it well.
And I was kind of expecting that response. ;)

Last edited:
Back