Anthem vs Reeve 21

ErMjnA.jpg
B4rK8c.jpg
Looking at the BM Anthem vs the Reeve CrossHatch Large 21 and just can’t make up my mind.

I love the axis lock system on Anthem and the 3.6oz weight and size makes a good everyday carry for me. I have handled this knife in a store really like it so leaning towards it.

I haven’t had a chance to handle a large 21 in person so am unsure how it matches up size wise in the hand to Anthem.

Anyone handled or own both of these?

It’s not apples to apples, but right around 5:30 the video below shows an anthem beside a large Inkosi (which is about the same size as a large 21). It should offer a size comparison. I’m sure someone will be along to post their own side-by-side.

two very different knives. lots of differences between them. lay out the pros and cons to you and pick the one that's best for you.

The grind lines of the main bevel on the Anthem look kinda funky.
Or is it just me? o_O

I’m leaning towards the Anthem as I liked the feel/shape/weight of the knife. It was also the smoothest axis lock I’ve handled buttery smooth.

I really love CPM 20v steel also it has to be my overall favorite of all the steels I’ve owned so far. CPM 20 holds a edge very well, still easy enough to sharpen and I can put a mirror polished edge on it that will cut you just starring at it too long :)

I guess there’s plenty of time left this year to by a Reeve’s later on either the CrossHatch or Carbon Fiber large 21.

Last edited:
Anyone handled or own both of these?
I own both (well, my large 21 is not aCrosshatch); and, as mentioned above, they're different knives.
While the large 21 isn't obtrusive, the Anthem pretty much disappears in the pocket. The Acton is worlds apart...the sebenza is known for its "hydraulic" feel, while the Anthem feels sort of sloppy the way the blade swings so freely when the axis lock is released. Of course, with the integral frame, it doesn't take long for pocket gunk to gum up the works & slow things down. (I'm sure mine just needs a good flushing out; but the blade is anthing but free falling now).
The anthem blade is thinner, and mine came very sharp; but the sebenza is no slouch when it comes to slicing.
Got to run - I'll add pictures when I get home tomorrow
View attachment 842810 View attachment 842811 View attachment 842812

Last edited:
I blew threw mine this morning - literally... no compressor or canned air involved - and the blade is back to free falling. I guess I shouldn't have referred to it as sloppy, because that isn't really it - it doesn't feel loose or insecure... but I've never been a fan of blades dropping easily...and this is probably the free-est(?) falling blade I've ever owned. In a way, it's interesting to me; and, admittedly, fun to play with - I think that's part of the problem...I was raised with the understanding that knives are not toys

Honestly, choosing between the two would be very difficult because they are very different in hand. Both very well made tools, the fidget factor of the Anthem would be it's strongest pro for me, as it is one of the smoothest and fun to flip Benchmades i've had. Ergos for my larger sized hands the 21 wins, you'll have to decide which strongpoints suites you best. Hopefully the side by side pics help (if you are indeed looking at the Cross Hatch 21)
Untitled by Danny Nystrom, on Flickr

God... I've been mulling over which of these two knives should be my next purchase for months now and I finally thought I had convinced myself to go with the small Sebenza 21, but now that I've seen them side by side I'm having second thoughts again.

I thought the gold/bronze anodizing on the Anthem would be too shiny and obnoxious for me, but it actually doesn't look all that shiny or overly gold in those pictures so that's a welcome surprise.
The thing is just that I'd be paying €500 for the Anthem, whereas a small Sebenza 21 would "only" set me back €380 ... and I just don't know if the Anthem would be worth the extra costs over a CRK Sebenza. Plus I already own a 940-2 as well... decisions decisions.

God... I've been mulling over which of these two knives should be my next purchase for months now and I finally thought I had convinced myself to go with the small Sebenza 21, but now that I've seen them side by side I'm having second thoughts again.

I thought the gold/bronze anodizing on the Anthem would be too shiny and obnoxious for me, but it actually doesn't look all that shiny or overly gold in those pictures so that's a welcome surprise.
The thing is just that I'd be paying €500 for the Anthem, whereas a small Sebenza 21 would "only" set me back €380 ... and I just don't know if the Anthem would be worth the extra costs over a CRK Sebenza. Plus I already own a 940-2 as well... decisions decisions.
Doesn't matter which you pick; you'll eventually own them all!

If your looking at my pics above, my Anthem is not the bronze one, just plain grey titanium. The bronze one is a bit "shinier" but not over the top, I still liked the regular grey better though.

I own several Sebenzas in various configurations and I’ve handled four Anthems. I don’t own an Anthem. Nothing about the design called to me strongly enough to fork over the asking price.

Here’s a snapshot of the first Anthem I handled next to a few knives I had on me at the time.
i.ashx

I own several Sebenzas in various configurations and I’ve handled four Anthems. I don’t own an Anthem. Nothing about the design called to me strongly enough to fork over the asking price.

^^^Yes! These are my feelings exactly! I’ve also handled it a few times and feel it’s a fine knife. It just hasn’t moved me enough to pick it up.

^^^Yes! These are my feelings exactly! I’ve also handled it a few times and feel it’s a fine knife. It just hasn’t moved me enough to pick it up.

Yeah, if it was $250 I’d probably try one out. I’m not saying the asking price is too high objectively, it’s just too high for me. If I’m in CRK price territory I’d rather just get another CRK. Also, I’ve grown very tired of ball bearing pivots.

If flicking the knife open and shut is important to you then get the anthem.

When you first get a Sebenza 21 it is a knife that you have to want to slowly thumb open. It is not a super flicker out of the box. Over time it will break in as my small 21 did and now it is among the smoothest knives on washers I own.

Back