Antiquing/Highlighting the Horsewright Way

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Been quite a few questions lately and in the past about antiquing/highlighting carving or tooling. I thought I'd take a few minutes and show you how and what we do.

Years ago I use to use a lot of the paste antiques. Buy it by the quart jar. As my work improved over the years I got tired of the anitque look. I found it to be too waxy, too thick, too contrasty, lots of toos, just too much. Still got about a half empty quart jar that hasn't had the lid off in ten years or so. I experimented with another product Fiebings HI Lighter. While it was better, eventually, we decided it was still too much, as well. Came up with this idea and not sure how or if I got it from somebody else, just don't remember, heck might even be original!

What we do is mix Hi Lighter with BagKote (our finish of choice) at a very weak solution. Its mostly Bag Kote. This will also work with TanKote as we use to use that finish some years back but switched to BagKote quite a while back.

Anyhoo we don't have a specific formulation we go by color. So we'll put some BagKote in a jar and then add Hi Lighter till we get the right color that we are looking for. Course a guy will mix it up pretty good. Bout like this is what we are looking for. We will use scrap leather and add a little more Bag Kote or a little more Hi Lighter till we get the color we want:

5B51zQl.jpg

We'll make up an inch or two in that jar and even at the volume we work at that will last quite a while as it does not take very much. So here are the two Fiebings products we mix in the jar and the project we're gonna work on. The sheath has been completely constructed, oiled and the edges rubbed but no finish has as of yet been applied. I often talk about an old t shirt being stretched over a couple of fingers as being my finish applicator. Looks like this:

aInsvFR.jpg

Put some Bag Kote on the t shirt:

d9i9PFe.jpg

Then put it on the sheath. I will do two coats on the edges of the sheath and one coat on top and on the back.

hVcRcRd.jpg

After the finish has dried I will put the mixture on a very small section of the tooling. It is important to just allow the mixture to flow, don't scrub it in with the brush.

Ahf7IWQ.jpg

Immediately wipe it off with a paper towel:

cGXZ1QJ.jpg

QB4uWAW.jpg

Then do another small section and wipe immediately.

CJopN4D.jpg

Continue with this process until you've done the entire area you wish to do.

KwJ9ofS.jpg

After its all done I will give the whole top of the sheath an extremely light coat of finish and she be done. I'll let er dry for a short time and thats it.

Rg1ckxb.jpg

xebD7Vx.jpg

Then take the wife and daughter out to the ranch to do some practice roping:

6Ep6PoE.jpg

Dang Alyssa missed.

OFllPmu.jpg

MNBBmeH.jpg

Provide a little coaching (and a sip of your beer) and they start soaring:

Wpa4sCw.jpg

kLcoq3T.jpg

vKu1YDw.jpg

Hope this helps some folks.

Last edited:
always enjoy seeing your work and nice to learn a bit of the process along the way. :thumbsup:

Ya bet Todd! Thanks for the kind words JJ. Funny thing was Alyssa, our daughter really hadn't touched a rope since these pics and now. Just found these old pics a yesterday.

rNGyrO1.jpg

zoqXiM0.jpg

She got er done.

Last edited:
Hi Dave. Thanks for the "how to" Your process looks great.
By the way, your finger's are in need of some Udder Balm. LOL !!!!!!

Thanks H High Standard . Ya know for me they were actually looking pretty good. I'd just finished a batch of 34 knives and the sides of those index fingers always take a beating.

Th
Been quite a few questions lately and in the past about antiquing/highlighting carving or tooling. I thought I'd take a few minutes and show you how and what we do.

Years ago I use to use a lot of the paste antiques. Buy it by the quart jar. As my work improved over the years I got tired of the anitque look. I found it to be too waxy, too thick, too contrasty, lots of toos, just too much. Still got about a half empty quart jar that hasn't had the lid off in ten years or so. I experimented with another product Fiebings HI Lighter. While it was better, eventually, we decided it was still too much, as well. Came up with this idea and not sure how or if I got it from somebody else, just don't remember, heck might even be original!

What we do is mix Hi Lighter with BagKote (our finish of choice) at a very weak solution. Its mostly Bag Kote. This will also work with TanKote as we use to use that finish some years back but switched to BagKote quite a while back.

Anyhoo we don't have a specific formulation we go by color. So we'll put some BagKote in a jar and then add Hi Lighter till we get the right color that we are looking for. Course a guy will mix it up pretty good. Bout like this is what we are looking for. We will use scrap leather and add a little more Bag Kote or a little more Hi Lighter till we get the color we want:

5B51zQl.jpg

We'll make up an inch or two in that jar and even at the volume we work at that will last quite a while as it does not take very much. So here are the two Fiebings products we mix in the jar and the project we're gonna work on. The sheath has been completely constructed, oiled and the edges rubbed but no finish has as of yet been applied. I often talk about an old t shirt being stretched over a couple of fingers as being my finish applicator. Looks like this:

aInsvFR.jpg

Put some Bag Kote on the t shirt:

d9i9PFe.jpg

Then put it on the sheath. I will do two coats on the edges of the sheath and one coat on top and on the back.

hVcRcRd.jpg

After the finish has dried I will put the mixture on a very small section of the tooling. It is important to just allow the mixture to flow, don't scrub it in with the brush.

Ahf7IWQ.jpg

Immediately wipe it off with a paper towel:

cGXZ1QJ.jpg

QB4uWAW.jpg

Then do another small section and wipe immediately.

CJopN4D.jpg

Continue with this process until you've done the entire area you wish to do.

KwJ9ofS.jpg

After its all done I will give the whole top of the sheath an extremely light coat of finish and she be done. I'll let er dry for a short time and thats it.

Rg1ckxb.jpg

xebD7Vx.jpg

Then take the wife and daughter out to the ranch to do some practice roping:

6Ep6PoE.jpg

Dang Alyssa missed.

OFllPmu.jpg

MNBBmeH.jpg

Provide a little coaching (and a sip of your beer) and they start soaring:

Wpa4sCw.jpg

kLcoq3T.jpg

vKu1YDw.jpg

Hope this helps some folks.
Thanks Dave I will try the Hi Lighter nice to photos of your family

Ya bet Todd! Thanks for the kind words JJ. Funny thing was Alyssa, our daughter really hadn't touched a rope since these pics and now. Just found these old pics a yesterday.

rNGyrO1.jpg

zoqXiM0.jpg

She got er done.

The last photo of Alyssa's face is priceless !!!!!! That's great that your Family shares these life building experiences. You folks know how to do it right.

Back