Antiquing titanium?

I've got some 6Al/4v titanium leftover from ye olde knifemaking days and I want to make a keychain tab/fob for a friend who is getting married soon. I am planning on using regular hardened steel letter punches to "type" the message and doing some grinding around the edge, make it look old and beat up. What's the best way to "antique" the overall look, though? I have no bead blasting equipment, so I'm looking for ideas to darken it, then probably polish out some of the high spots to make it look worn, etc.

I realize Ti may not be the best metal for this, too, so if that's the case, would I be better off getting some thicker brass and whaling on it?

Thanks for any help and ideas in advance!

Use brand name oxi clean powder dissolved in hot water, then soak the titanium in it for a couple hours. Rinse the titanium and wipe it off with rubbing alcohol. Really darkens it up, and brings out a faint bronze as well.

I've got some 6Al/4v titanium leftover from ye olde knifemaking days and I want to make a keychain tab/fob for a friend who is getting married soon. I am planning on using regular hardened steel letter punches to "type" the message and doing some grinding around the edge, make it look old and beat up. What's the best way to "antique" the overall look, though? I have no bead blasting equipment, so I'm looking for ideas to darken it, then probably polish out some of the high spots to make it look worn, etc.

I realize Ti may not be the best metal for this, too, so if that's the case, would I be better off getting some thicker brass and whaling on it?

Thanks for any help and ideas in advance!

Home stonewashing using a plastic bottle, rocks, WD-40 and your dryer...

Back