Recommendation? Antler for an EDC/Work Knife?

Hello I have been considering getting a work/edc knife with an elk handle and I have heard many people would never do that. Is there a reason other than the cost of elk handled knives? I have heard that verdigris can cause the scales to become stained. Is elk easily ruined in dirty/work environments?

I believe there are ways to seal stag handles, but that takes away some of the natural warmth and feel of the material, in my opinion. Natural materials are going to stain. That's just how it is.

It probably depends on the handle, too. Slabs would probably be more susceptible by virtue of more contact area between different materials.

Natural materials like horn antler or bone are more fragile than other choices for a daily use knife.

Most knives in that EDC or work category get dropped, banged around or otherwise used in a way that will damage the scales.

Add in that the natural materials are more expensive when done right it's not the ideal choice.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad choice. I don't think it is. Reasonable care. Accidents happen, of course, but stag is pretty tough, if you don't abuse your tools.

I've built many hundreds and hundreds, if not more, of elk/antler handled knives.

je5eHYR.jpg

In the box in the foreground alone I'm counting 9, it's a very popular handle material for me:

sOrZDRR.jpg

Counting 14 in this batch ready for the handles to be hand sanded:

BWkq1mO.jpg

Five out of twenty here:

QM0IoaZ.jpg

The vast majority of my sales are to cowboys/ranchers, guys that aren't particularly easy on stuff.

Ya can see my own personal elk handled EDC there on my waist with the thongs hanging down, if ya look close. I carried this knife about 3 years doing active cowboy stuff:

B65SysD.jpg

fH0aPwa.jpg

Here it is posing in some no name cowboy bar in the middle of nowhere AZ.

5xJKwZv.jpg

I have found elk/antler to be a very durable material and practical as well as good looking. Is it bullet proof? No, but this one survived the lawn mower:

IH9tFC9.jpg

Had to build the customer a new sheath though. Many folks say that the synthetic handle materials are bullet proof, they're not:

YsvKQKv.jpg

Anyhoo if ya like elk or antler, it'll work for ya. I don't recall every repairing or replacing an elk handle and thats on a lot of knives that have seen a lot of life.

I don’t see any issue with doing that. Of course because it is a natural material, you’ll just have to take care of it. That could be said for most knife scales out there, except maybe the plastic variety. Most of my traditionals have wood covers and I’ve yet to damage them from daily use. As long you know that something could happen, I don’t think there is any reason you shouldn’t carry it if you want to.

Antler is some really tough stuff. As far as staining, I wouldnt sweat it. I have been using a Silver Stag slab handled skinning knife for a couple of years now and it doesnt stain. Blood just washes off. Antler seems to be the most durable natural handle material in my experience. I think it holds up better than some man made materials, like delrin for instance. Youll be just fine with a stag handled knife.

I have a Buck 110 folding hunter stag handle I got new in 1989. It has field dressed and processed many deer throughout the years as well as other outdoor activities and still looks as good as new the day I received it. No discoloring or any kind of damage. I’m sure there’s some normal wear but that’s the great thing about antler it doesn’t show wear like some other materials do. It is a good durable natural hard working material.

I've been carrying this small fixed blade with sambar stag scales every day for a while now. No issues yet to speak of. Don't know if you saw this recent thread, but it had some good responses: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/stag-handle-practicality.1600138/. Any knives in particular that you're considering?
View attachment 1100305
A custom buck 110 hunter with the nickel frame. I have heard that the brass frame can develop verdigris and stain the stag green. I also want to own a custom fixed blade with stag handles in the future.
I have a Buck 110 folding hunter stag handle I got new in 1989. It has field dressed and processed many deer throughout the years as well as other outdoor activities and still looks as good as new the day I received it. No discoloring or any kind of damage. I’m sure there’s some normal wear but that’s the great thing about antler it doesn’t show wear like some other materials do. It is a good durable natural hard working material.
does it have nickel or brass bolsters/frame? May I see pictures?

Back