Antler handle finish??

I had this nice piece of Mule deer antler with the base rose. Just got done using it as a knife handle and wondering about methods of sealing and protecting it from deterioration.

Photos coming soon!

This is a CA finish on this one! That is one way of sealing it.

000_1163.jpg

Jim, I've used a linseed oil and turpentine in a 50/50 mix for several years. I'll let it soak for an hour or so but the bad thing about this mix is takes forever to dry this time of year. I've been using a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and shellac which I like just as well and it drys pretty fast.

Ray, The shellac and alcohol sounds like a good way to go then. Will give it a try after a bit more clean up

As a mater of fact this is the piece. Hope you like what I did with it.

6" of ladder pattern 1095/15n20
10 1/4" over all
file worked aluminum bronze in front and behind stainless guard
water buffalo spacer and Mule deer handle
DSCF0484.jpg

DSCF0486.jpg

DSCF0487.jpg

Can't decide on the eye guard spike. It fits between in front of my little finger pretty well, acts as kind of a display stand. But, then some might think its clunky. If I cut it down or off and polish it up would it be better? or worse? Opinions please Jim

Great looking knife. I really like the steel. I would grind the spike off. I've left them on knives before because they look really cool, but they end up just getting in the way when you really get to using the knife. A piece this nice is obviously well made and should be used.

That antler was out in the woods for a long time before it became a knife handle. I'm unaware that deer use anything to preserve them.
Beautiful knife, by the way!

On powder horns and antlers, I use tru oil. Tiny worms will get into powder horns and start eating holes I to them. Very nice knife! I vote grind the spike off as well

That antler was out in the woods for a long time before it became a knife handle. I'm unaware that deer use anything to preserve them.
Beautiful knife, by the way!

I'm with you on this one bill... they hold up pretty well to being left out in the elements for years so I'm never too worried about antlers going bad or needing protection. I have been melting wax into them in the past few years however and it seems to help em shine up better and can't hurt. this started as a way to seal the leather spacers and get them to polish, but it definitely helps to waterproof them.

My choice is a hard carnuba wax bar, I heat it up in a pot with the knife laying across it to warm it as well, then I use a small brush to rub the melted wax into the piece until it stops absorbing it then just let it cool... sand and polish. hope it helps

I have horn tips on a longbow. Something is eating one of them them. Every year there gets less horn. I started heavily waxing them with Johnson's paste wax. It seems to have helped has helped.
Stupid question. Horn and antler same basic material or different?

I have horn tips on a longbow. Something is eating one of them them. Every year there gets less horn. I started heavily waxing them with Johnson's paste wax. It seems to have helped has helped.
Stupid question. Horn and antler same basic material or different?
There are tiny little worms that get into powder horns and eat then up, maybe that's the same issue your having. Tru oil can protect against that.

Not moths. Carpet beetle larvae. Ever take an old T shirt out of the bottom of a drawer, and it's full of little holes?
They love horn, felt, wool, and will eat cotton and antler. Frequent inspection will prevent them, as will insecticides.
To a lesser extent oils like WD 40 repel them.

When I use antler, quite often I color it with potassium permanganate and sometimes dyes. I then spray it with Krylon clear acrylic to seal the color in. Then, I sand and polish the high spots-leaving color contrast. The acrylic is not necessary, but it helps keep the coloration in the low spots.

Antlers are not horn. Horn is compacted hair/fingernail goop. An antler is bone and much mo' betta'. :-D Unless Mule dear is a lot different than sambar or elk, then all of the old tricks should work fine, right? My not so old trick is Fiebings spirit based leather dye and white buffing compound on a slow wheel. I have 4 stag knives on my website and 3 of the handles were dyed.

I use the super glue method. Cut a finger off of a vinyl glove and put it on yours. Put several drops of thin super glue on the antler. Rub it in with your covered finger. Super glue doesn't stick to vinyl.
Rub it out so no streaks show. 3-4 coats should do it. If it's to shiny use white scotch brite pad to dull a little. A little min wax and it's good.
Take Care
TJ Smith

Back