Anvil heat (re)treatment

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My anvil was very soft (annealed) after going through a fire recently.

A backwoods heat treatment was administered, using a lot of firewood, a leaf blower, a gutter drain pipe, and a cold, fast-flowing stream.

Despite how it looks in the video, the whole face and horn were glowing orange and were nonmagnetic, so maybe it worked. Haven't tested it yet.

Video!

Ha! :D I would have tested it today, but you know, it's not as easy to find a big ball from a ball bearing as you would think.

I remember Adam DesRosiers using a bucket scoop tractor and a large fire to re harden his anvil after his shop fire.

Ha! :D I would have tested it today, but you know, it's not as easy to find a big ball from a ball bearing as you would think.
You shoulda said something, I have a bunch of 2" balls scavenged out of wind turbine generators...coulda sent one with the stamp.

You shoulda said something, I have a bunch of 2" balls scavenged out of wind turbine generators...coulda sent one with the stamp.

Well, shit in a bag and punch it! o_O Someone should forge those bearings into knives.

Have you tapped a hammer on it? What's your "first impression" (sorry)?

Oh yes.

Here's the quote from the Shop Talk thread:

"Hey guys, I got a chance to test the anvil. The face is much improved, showing virtually no sign of a divot even from a rather pointy hammer end. The horn is a little softer, and shows a very slight divot when hit with the pointy hammer.

It’s a lot better than it was, but could still be better yet. I may try again if I get ahold of a better way of doing it, such as a bigass coal forge and blower.

I think the exercise was a moderate success!"

Link to a little test video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKcrEcJjhr2/?igshid=18xt4g8raz3rd

Yeah, I've got enough in my head as it is.
I actually "forged" a sword out of mild steel way back in my high school metal shop class.

Yeah, I've got enough in my head as it is.
I actually "forged" a sword out of mild steel way back in my high school metal shop class.

Very cool. :D

How's the recovery going?
Any projects in the works? Or still getting the shop put together?

How's the recovery going?
Any projects in the works? Or still getting the shop put together?

Pretty much have gotten back to work, tying up unfinished things from before the blaze. Hoping to post up the latest finished piece today. Still looking for a place to live, really, but am able to use my brother's little shop to house the new tools and get things done.

I have a 3 step plan to enact once the last of the loose ends are tied up:

-Scalpel knife 2.0 (already cut to shape)
-A handful of very thin kitchen knives with take-down handles (material in-hand: new old F22 Raptor fighter jet ti alloy)

-While those are in the works, I'll be practicing and testing the new way of making bimetallic ti swords with a technique that will allow the use of the BT23 alloy acquired for the purpose. More efficient to make, and able to use warped material. I think it will work, and then I can start making the best swords yet.

Back