Any Bird and Trout (or Bird and Game) fans out there?

IMG-20200315-110319440-HDR.jpg

Even though in CA you cannot conceal carry a fixed blade, I was still intrigued by ring daggers like the SOCP dagger. CS of course makes the Shanghai Shadow and Shanghai Warrior, but those are in a completely different league. There is also the Battle Ring and the Drop-Forged ring dagger, but I gravitated towards the utilitarian hunting models: the Bird and Trout and Bird and Game.

The B&T is the smaller of the two, with a 2-1/4" cutting edge. I went with the B&T because I wasn't sure if this design works well with the larger blade. In a pinch, I bet you could use it exactly like the ring daggers designed as a last ditch CQC weapon to create space between your attacker.

In practice, I just use the B&T as a utility knife around the house. It is my go-to cardboard breakdown knife. The small, thin blade cuts with minimal effort, and is big enough for most jobs. It also weighs next to nothing and fits inside any pocket. If I could EDC it, I totally would. This is another winner from Cold Steel.

I liked mine quite a bit. I lost it squirrel hunting one day when it must have hung up on some bushes while I was wearing it as a neck knife.

it's based on the vintage marble's trout knife
14196173_1005158532916055_1032508064003410744_o-768x572.jpg

would like to see a CS drop forged version.
and knowing CS a diverse range of blade shapes would be applicable at that ;-)
hawkbills anyone ?? :)

Last edited:
IMG-20200315-110319440-HDR.jpg

Even though in CA you cannot conceal carry a fixed blade, I was still intrigued by ring daggers like the SOCP dagger. CS of course makes the Shanghai Shadow and Shanghai Warrior, but those are in a completely different league. There is also the Battle Ring and the Drop-Forged ring dagger, but I gravitated towards the utilitarian hunting models: the Bird and Trout and Bird and Game.

The B&T is the smaller of the two, with a 2-1/4" cutting edge. I went with the B&T because I wasn't sure if this design works well with the larger blade. In a pinch, I bet you could use it exactly like the ring daggers designed as a last ditch CQC weapon to create space between your attacker.

In practice, I just use the B&T as a utility knife around the house. It is my go-to cardboard breakdown knife. The small, thin blade cuts with minimal effort, and is big enough for most jobs. It also weighs next to nothing and fits inside any pocket. If I could EDC it, I totally would. This is another winner from Cold Steel.
I appreciate the compact, low-cost design, and I can see it excelling in light utility work. Just a tad too small for me since I’m generally biased towards medium to large knives. For last ditch self-defense scenarios, definitely go for the larger version (Bird and Game). I’m not too crazy about taking on a 200 lb mugger with just 2.25” of knife. :D

I also like the Mini Tac series as part of the pocketable fixed CS knives.

Back