Any fans of "The Stand" by Stephen King?

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm about a fifth of the way through "The Stand" by Stephen King.

I'm reading (via audiobook) the "expanded" edition recently published. This is a first read for me. I didn't consider myself a King fan until I started the Dark Tower series. So I decided to give this one a try. The audio is ~48 hrs long and it seems like I've already been reading it for weeks....and I get the feeling I'm just barely starting the story. :eek:

Randall Flagg just made his appearance in the book.
He's he reason I'm reading it...he crosses over into the Dark Tower series later.

Anyway...would love to hear your thoughts on this book and I'll definitely post a review once I've finished it...maybe before New Years?
:D

Dan

I'm new to King myself. I've read the first of the Dark Tower books and liked it. I am reading Dead Zone now and really enjoying it. Has a Flannery o'Connor darkness to it. I just downloaded a PDF of Rage; I guess the recent school shooting brought it to mind.

Been meaning to read The Stand but haven't yet.

Great story! Horrible movie!!! I'm a huge SK fan! I've been 1/2 way through the 7th DT book for the past 5 years because I don't want the story to end....

Great Steven King book, the part where they go through the Lincoln Tunnel still creeps me out.

Sweet - glad I have lots to look forward to!

It seems very evenly paced....which is nice, but actually kinda hard when you're used to reading a book in a few days. I get probably 4-6 hours worth of reading every day when I'm in the shop all day. Really helps pass the time. But it makes long books seem even that much longer. :p :D

Dan

I'm new to King myself. I've read the first of the Dark Tower books and liked it.

I don't want to spoil anything, but so far I have liked the first book most. Probably because the novelty of the characters and story. That wears off for the remaining books, and the story gets more strange. :D
2nd book was pretty good, and 3rd was "ok" for me. Still waiting to read the 4th.

Dan

I read a teaser in an airline magazine and had to get the book. Years have passed, but it is still my favorite King book.

I was sucked into the Dark Towers series up to the Wolves of the Calla, which I got about 1/3 of the way through and couldn't do it anymore. While it had a lot to do with not having time, the story getting strange played a pretty large part in putting the book down. It seems like King always starts off strong but then peters out.

That mirrors what I've heard from others, RyanS. But I got that great advice after buying the books...not before. Hahaha. Plus, I'm invested now....so might as well continue.

I do like how King always manages to get some music into the work. In this one it's Larry's "Baby" song...in the Dark Tower - Gunslinger, it was the sound the lobstrocities made that seemed to echo in my head for weeks afterwards.

I've always appreciated good writing that left an aftertaste....or caused me to reflect for a long time after.

Dan

If "The Stand" is King's best...what would be 2nd or 3rd best?

Dan

Well, he wrote it as Richard bachman, but The Long Walk really messed with my head. It is probably the most disturbing story of his I have read. My favorite though by far is Salem's Lot. One of the first King books I read and I still reread it every few years.

Nathan

Some of the comments remind me of my reaction to the original Dune series. Just got too weird to hold my interest. Made me wonder if the author was using.

The stand is my favorite stephen king book
Never saw the movie but heard it was kinda
Dull ! But i also heard a rumor that king has
Written a new screenplay for the stand and
Their starting to put it in the works come
2013/2014 hopefully they make it into two or
Three full length flims instead of one as it has
Alot of story to tell imo ! Anyone want to guess
Who would best play randall flagg ? Or the
Trashcan man ? And what about stu redman ?
Who could best bring out the character for stu?

Frank

I just got to the part of the "trashcan man"......"trashcan man".....

This book is crazy.

Ha!

Apparently there have been serious talks about a new trilogy of feature films based on The Stand to be directed by Ben Affleck.

Will definitely have to check out "The Shining"...

What can you tell me about the other 2 on your list?

I think there is alot more out there to choose from. I would go with the Talisman, and Desperation. They actually tie in with other books and themselves. These 2 are great books, and as always Blain The Train rocks. I have read the Dark Tower series, liked it until he went back in time to when he was a young then it kind of lost me. Black House, is that it, I believe is another that ties in also.

Back