Any idea how to figure out what steel this is?

So, a couple years ago , I decided I was going to make my first blade. Well, fast forward to now, I am finally making it, but for the life of me, I can't remember what steel I bought. I am thinking it is D2. I bought it from Texas knife supply and almost positive I was choosing from 01 or D2. Like I said, I bought it about two years ago. It is not a stainless as it does have a rust spot on it, but not bad for that long in my garage. Here are a couple pics, hopefully they will help:

20150121_122232_zpsw4rtboq0.jpg

20150121_122208_zpshvxtsftp.jpg

No way to tell by pics. If it is resisting rust, tho.......I bet it is NOT O1. That stuff will rust if you look at it wrong. Stainless steel could have a rust spot on it just like that if left in a garage for a year. It is stain LESS after all.

Well, I know it isnt stainless. At the time I bought it, I was dead set against it. I am sticking to thinking it is D2. Either way, O1 or D2, should be ok heat treating to 1500 right? Seems like the main difference is in tempering from what I have been reading. I will probably have it heat treated as D2.

spark test may help, take a photo of the sparks it makes with a 36 belt. if your doubt is o2 or d2 and you have another piece of steel maybe ferric chloride can help, 02 should be darker if compared to d2

Pablo

D2 should resist rust a lot more than O-1. Sand it clean and stick it in water for five minutes. Take it out and lay it on the bench. If it is O-1, it will be pretty much covered in rust the next day.

A second way would be to take a piece and heat it to just a bit above non-magnetic for about 60 seconds. Quench in oil. If it fully hardens, it is O-1. D2 has to be heated to 1850F and held for 10-30 minutes to austenitize.

dont really know if it helps. 36 didnt really throw too many sparks, probably about time to change the belt. disk sander on the side did a little better:
[video=youtube;JLKujbaGjM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKujbaGjM4[/video]

Last edited:
Call texas knife supply and see if they will look up your order, im sure they keep records

D2 should resist rust a lot more than O-1. Sand it clean and stick it in water for five minutes. Take it out and lay it on the bench. If it is O-1, it will be pretty much covered in rust the next day.

A second way would be to take a piece and heat it to just a bit above non-magnetic for about 60 seconds. Quench in oil. If it fully hardens, it is O-1. D2 has to be heated to 1850F and held for 10-30 minutes to austenitize.

I don't have the equipment to heat treat, but will try to see how it rusts overnight.

video is marked as private... can't be seen

Pablo

Back