Any ideas on who manufactured this knife for LL BEAN ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I just got this Carver in the mail, it was made for LL BEAN but I don't know who.

It's a pretty nice knife that was well loved, sharpened a lot but sharpened properly.

I just got this Carver in the mail, it was made for LL BEAN but I don't know who.

It's a pretty nice knife that was well loved, sharpened a lot but sharpened properly.
It could have been contracted by Lamson Sharp, Case, Camillus, ??? or any number of MFG companies that are no longer around??

It could have been contracted by Lamson Sharp, Case, Camillus, ??? or any number of MFG companies that are no longer around??
Yes of course, I'll probably not know by who but I figure it's worth a shot.
I figured maybe the handle gives it away or something.

It's a nice knife either way and I've already removed the recurve, sharpened it , and put it to use.

Dexter has a carbon steel line with 1/2 tang and rosewood handle, that would be my guess.
I'll look into Dexter Carver's some more, but I suspect you're right.

The cutlers rivets seem to be nickel silver which I've seen on Dexter knives before.

The handle shape doesn't quite match up to Dexter's current line but it does match to Pre-WWII handles that LLB offered which were also 1/2 tang and had the hole on the butt end, the shape of your handle would be easy for Dexter to copy as an OEM piece for LLB.

The rivets are probably stainless, Old Hickery, Lambson, Cutco, Tramontina all used brass rivets in their stamped carbon steel knives, this tends to lead me away from them as the maker, but they could do stainless rivets if LLB wanted them to...

Last edited:
The handle shape doesn't quite match up to Dexter's current line but it does match to Pre-WWII handles that LLB offered which were also 1/2 tang and had the hole on the butt end, the shape of your handle would be easy for Dexter to copy as an OEM piece for LLB.
Thanks for the info.

Robinson made some with similar shaped handles but the / cut on the wood doesn't match. They did some with a \ cut on the handle

Did they do a half tang line?

Robinson made some with similar shaped handles but the / cut on the wood doesn't match. They did some with a \ cut on the handle

I just picked up a Murphy Herters that has a2/3 or so tang and a lanyard hole.
Their chef's select line seems to be disappearing, but it looks like the smaller knives were half tang and the longer ones full tang. At least fulllength. The Herters is sort of half-tang longitudinally.

So probably not a very good guess.

I have a few Robinsons. They made some very good knives.

So are they just concentrating on the shellfish knives and such? I know that Murphy was bought out by a couple number of years back and that they are relatively small operation. They do have some cool heat treating equipment.
I just picked up a Murphy Herters that has a2/3 or so tang and a lanyard hole.
Their chef's select line seems to be disappearing, but it looks like the smaller knives were half tang and the longer ones full tang. At least fulllength. The Herters is sort of half-tang longitudinally.

So probably not a very good guess.

I have a few Robinsons. They made some very good knives.

I saw a serrated Robinson with a closely matching handle shape, the blade shape was similar as well but it was stainless and overall probably isn't similar enough.

So are they just concentrating on the shellfish knives and such? I know that Murphy was bought out by a couple number of years back and that they are relatively small operation. They do have some cool heat treating equipment.
I only heard of them a little while ago. Just from visits to their site it looks like the carbon kitchen knives are disappearing, maybe because more people want stainless. Some of the sporting knives are being offered in stainless as well as carbon.
They make a lot of leather/shoe knives, and I really should get one of their Grohmanoids.

Here's my new Murphy Herter's, also no longer on their site.
kMVaU1m.jpg

I always thought these were a stupid-looking knife, but it handles quite nicely.

Who would have bought them, I wonder. Dexter-Russell?

I have a couple of tool-boxes full of carbon knives that I should check for rust; I'll see if anything looks like the op.

Last edited:
Don't rule out W.R.Case it resembles some post WW2 knives made by them in my kitchen, I'd add Chicago Cutlery, but the handles on all those I have are Oak or Hickory

Last edited:
Don't rule out W.R.Case it resembles some post WW2 knives made by them in my kitchen, I'd add Chicago Cutlery, but the handles on all those I have are Oak or Hickory

I'll look into case.
Oh and btw, weren't Chicago cutlery knives pretty much always stainless steel ?
They came about in the 80's or something too right ?

I don't know I'll ask the half dozen that are soaking in vinegar, I'm not sre these are recent manufacture, I inherited them they could be from the early 1960s or earlier. My Late-Mother would probably know, but for obvious reasons I can't ask her and my mother WAS sometimes my fathers memory, so asking him is unlikely to be productive.

BTW, I actually got our of my swivel chair and went and looked I found another similar carbon steel knife with a Hickory handle, branded "Old Hickory", sadly the only marking on the blade is "U.S.A."

Last edited:
Back