Any love for the moose?

Standard issue type Case 6275 Moose from 50 years ago. OH
Case_6275_SP_Moose_-_1972_mark_side_opt.jpg

I always struggle with figuring out the practical purpose of a moose pattern. I know Nessmuk thought highly of it for camp and woods applications, but I am really at a loss to see what they do better than a good fixed blade, or something with more versatile blade choice. Maybe just because it’s an extra knife or an extra blade on your knife if one gets damaged.

I always struggle with figuring out the practical purpose of a moose pattern. I know Nessmuk thought highly of it for camp and woods applications, but I am really at a loss to see what they do better than a good fixed blade, or something with more versatile blade choice. Maybe just because it’s an extra knife or an extra blade on your knife if one gets damaged.
For "general all-around use" though, the clip point/spear point** combination is pretty difficult to beat.
(**Some have a Spey blade instead of the spear point. For all practical purposes, a Spey blade is just a spear point with an extra dull top half of the point. Either can be used just as well for the same tasks.)

Advantage over a fixed blade: (1) Don't get in the way when sitting. (2) Two blades. If desired, each blade can have a different edge bevel.

I think Mr. Nessmuk preferred the Moose over the Trapper, which generally speaking has the same blades, and the 2 blade slipjoint folding hunter (usually a clip point and drop point blades) is because the Moose may be "heavier duty" or stronger, with the blades pivoting from each end, compared to the Trapper and Folding Hunter, which have the blades pivoting from the same end.

If I am remembering Mr. Nessmuk's writings properly, he used his sheath knife for processing game and fish, chopping/slicing/dicing veggies, and to eat peas. He used his folding knife for whittling emergency tent stakes, trap triggers, and feather sticks, cut rope and cordage, and other non-food related camp tasks.

Last edited:
My favorite pattern. It's a great EDC pattern. I use the spear for food, clip for everything else. My canvas moose has been carried a lot. Had ot out for cleaning last week with a large hunter.

1671876207812.png

My only moose is a 6275SP with a long pull on the clip blade and a Case XX tang stamp, which dates it to 1940 - 1964. (Reportedly, the long-pull versions were made early in the Case XX years and are fairly rare.) I believe the covers are "red bone". A friend of mine found it while cleaning out an old shed and sold it to me for $10.

49143846247_0e32ffec75_b.jpg

Back