Any Marlin 39’s out there?

No!! But I wish I did. A Win .22Mag but I kick myself for not pursuing a couple of Marlins when I had the chance to pick them up cheap. Good looking rifle you’ve acquired. I especially like the straight grip.

I’ve always wanted a .22mag lever action rifle. To pair with the Ruger single six with the magnum cylinder.

It is just hard to justify it. Plus I never found a good deal on one.

I do have a .22 mag barrel for my Contender.

Reactions: 315
About 1962 in the dead of winter my father took his two boys to a nearby town that had an auditorium to watch an outdoor film. The film was the lead-up to seeing live on stage "The Marlin Man". I never knew his real name (he resembled Alan Ladd-the actor), but, he put on a shooting exhibition on stage using wax bullets using his Marlin Model 39a lever action and Model 101 single shot bolt action. His show lasted about an hour and included a firearms safety discussion, and of course he extolled the virtues of all Marlin firearms. There were many dads in the crowd with their well behaved children and a few moms came along, too. But the presentation was really geared toward teenagers to help induce firearm sales. I am certain it worked because every boy that was there that I knew was sporting a rifle of his own at the firearms safety training that the local VFW sponsored the following summer.

The Model 39 and it's derivatives have been steady performers over the years and it deserves the title of "Great Rifle", it will be a sad day if they ever go out of production. Mine is the 1897 Cowboy Model and is very similar to OP's Century Limited. That rifle was made the year I graduated from high school. You are going to really like that rifle!

Reactions: 315
I think they are already out of production. Since they were sold the new owners haven’t been able to offer it in the catalog. I’ve been told it is still available from the custom shop at around $1000.00, but the web sight doesn’t have that option.

The 39 holds the record for the longest rifle in production of any caliber.

I wish the Marlin mans show was still around.

I think they are already out of production. Since they were sold the new owners haven’t been able to offer it in the catalog. I’ve been told it is still available from the custom shop at around $1000.00, but the web sight doesn’t have that option.

The 39 holds the record for the longest rifle in production of any caliber.

I wish the Marlin mans show was still around.
Boy, I must really be out of the loop, I had no idea that the the 39 was out of production. Yes, if the Marlin Man Show was still circulating the country I would be at one, again. I must admit, the 1950's & 1960's were a fun time to be alive. Everything was at a slower pace, kids were allowed to be kids, cars had big fins, airplanes had piston engines and propellers, radios had vacuum tubes, and kids had knives and BB guns!

Last edited:
Boy, I must really be out of the loop, I had no idea that the the 39 was out of production. Yes, if the Marlin Man Show was still circulating the country I would be at one, again. I must admit, the 1950's & 1960's ere a fun time to be alive. Everything was at a slower pace, kids were allowed to be kids, cars had big fins, airplanes had piston engines and propellers, radios had vacuum tubes, and kids had knives and BB guns!
"You kids get outside and play and don't come back until dinner. Take the dog with you."--Amazing how trusting our parents were!--KV

Boy, I must really be out of the loop, I had no idea that the the 39 was out of production. Yes, if the Marlin Man Show was still circulating the country I would be at one, again. I must admit, the 1950's & 1960's ere a fun time to be alive. Everything was at a slower pace, kids were allowed to be kids, cars had big fins, airplanes had piston engines and propellers, radios had vacuum tubes, and kids had knives and BB guns!
I bought a regular Marlin 39A with the safety at a gun shop (as new) about 10 years ago. Don't care much for the safety. I bought it purely because I always wanted one as a kid. The M39 was priced higher than some of the more affordable brands of the time and I really had VERY limited funds as a kid and young man. The Remington 541 was another wish from the late 60's and 70's that I fulfilled later in life. Have two of them (the 'S and T' models). I desired what I considered at the time a "Yuppie" 22 rifle and the Weatherby Mark XXII semi fulfilled that dream way back when they were still offered at retail. The 541's came later and the Marlin 39A much later. I guess the only real 22 rifle that I ever really wanted that I didn't get was a Remington Nylon 66. Always wanted the 76 lever action model.

As a kid, we had few restrictions.... we did what we wanted to do and tried to show up home for dinner. Parents really had no idea where we were. This was in the country. We didn't lock our doors ever then. Knives and BB guns were some of the first accessory introductions to hunting and the outdoors as a young kid. It was a good time to grow up.

I doubt that my parents thought life was at a slower pace then. But compared to now, it was much slower with much reduced needs.

Much changed for Marlin when Remington bought them out and combined production with Remington.

Last edited:
I gifted a model golden 39a .22 to my nephew ,next time I seen it the stock was scratched up pretty badly and the general appearance was pretty bad I was heatbroken , life lesson- let people buy their own stuff.

Last edited:
I gifted a model golden 39a .22 to my nephew ,next time I seen it the stock was scratched up pretty badly and the general appearance was pretty bad I was heatbroken , life lesson- let people buy their own stuff.
I agree with the "buy your own stuff" approach. If they don't spend their money, then often the value is not as appreciated. But it will vary from person to person.

I have a 39A that I bought in the early 80's. It is a tack driver. I've always wanted a Mountie though with the shorter barrel. I have to admit I shoot my tricked out and modded Ruger 10/22 more.

E9-EBB708-ACFE-438-C-9-F96-D84-EA2-C0-EF73.jpg

From left to right: Browning .22, Winchester .22 Mag, Marlin .357 and Marlin .44. I have a few more larger calibers but these are the mild recoiling fun ones to shoot.

I've had my 39A for at least 30 years and more. Feeds anything but for backyard plinking the CCI Quiet .22 can't be beat, it's Hollywood quiet and at short distance plenty accurate. One of those guns I'll prob never get rid of. And the takedown feature is just a bonus.

I traded a nicely built AR lower receiver for a 1951 39a golden Mounty. Of all the really expensive black rifle EBR Sniper stuff I have it is on of my favorite guns. I always take it shooting.

I have one. For some reason I felt like I had better get one years ago before they stopped making them. I really wanted it to pass on to the kids. Turns out I was right, I am glad I bought one way back when.

Just shot it a few days ago. I wish I would have taken a picture, but I didn't.

I think it is one of the funnest rifles I own. Very similar to shooting a Marlin 30-30 deer rifle, but less expensive to shoot.

I also have a few other JM Stamped real Marlins. I am a big fan my octagonal barrel 44 mag. I can load 200 grain, 1000 fps cat sneeze loads, all the way up to hurt your shoulder loads. Love it!

Back