Any New "Toad" Lovers??

I just lubed my Spyderco "Toad" with Militec-1 (the best lube for knives or firearms I've ever used!), and I wondered if there are any new Toad owners on the board. (Toadites? Toadies? Toad devotee's?) Well, anyway...new Toad lovers.
smile.gif

Will

Nope, not me, I guess that's why it went the way of the dinosaur. I know there are some toad fans out there, but I just can't imagine paying that much for such a tiny blade. Now maybe if it came with extra blades, that would be cool, but as is, forget it. If I wanted something that small, I just sharpen my fingernail (just kidding)

Well, it the "Toads" have really gone "the way of the dinosaur", it's a shame. They're like a little piece of art in your pocket. As for the high price, it was explained to me that the size of the knife has little to do with the price. It's the labor involved. The people who made my Toad are artists. It's perfect in every way. No gaps between liners, no blade "wiggles", solid as a rock and sharp as a razor blade. It's just perfect in every way you could imagine. It's a unique little knife. Does anyone know for sure that they're gone? Sal??

Will

Excellent knife, the fit and finish is superb. Small knives have a place in my EDC
this one went to church last Sunday and no one was intimidated when I brought it out and opened it for someone to sharpen a pencil.

Will, I totally agree with you. The toad is one of the best knives that I own and the ONLY one that I carry all the time. I usually rotate my other knives. It is compact, light, and is a great money clip. I wouldn't trust it with hard work, but anything less is manageable. I have the serrated edge and it will cut through almost anything. I love this little guy and am planning on buying a plain one too. If it is discontinued, I will be very dissapointed.
Matt

I agree, the Toad's a great little knife -- I have both the serrated and the plain edge versions. The only Spydie I own in both configurations.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

Y'know, when ya open a thread and see someone writing "I just lubed my toad..." it kind of makes you wonder if you accidentally stepped into the wrong forum...

Count me as a Toad-Lover.
Unfortunately, I just have 3 of them and none are (or ever will be) for sale.
As a "domestic" knife, the Toad has accomplished every task laid before it.
I just love to feel it's movement and enjoy it's quality.
There are very few knives out there with the Toad's quality.
I carry mine daily.
Bill

Sorry to say it, but it is the ONLY Spyderco I would never buy
frown.gif

IMHO it is WAY overpriced for a small 8a folder. Call me crazy or stupid, but thats the way I feel.

It reminds me a little of how the Moran was way overpriced and it was reduced as a result. The Moran is a GREAT knife at a GREAT price. I would never pay more than $40 for such a small knife. Whats the list on this knife? About $100+ still?

Man thats into Military money...

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Well, I should have figured that Billy Mac would chime in here before I did.
Will, you and I now have two things in common and that's the Dalton Mini Hawk and the Toad and I own two of each. You know, it's funny because I am a complete contrast in that I LOVE "mega folders" and I also LOVE mini folders. The Toad is one of the best mini folders out there. People complain about the price and the steel, (AUS-8A IS a good steel by the way), but a lot of times they've never held one and felt the precision built quality. I like it better than the "Mouse" and the Mouse is another of my favorite small folders. By the way, the Military and the large Dyad are my favorite "big" Spyder folders.
It shouldn't surprise me that a lot of folks don't like the Toad. The "Native" is one of Spydercos most popular folders and for the life of me I can't understand why. I know it has "premium" S60V steel but IMHO, it has the ugliest, (yes, WAY uglier than the Toad), blade shapes I've ever seen since the infamous, (to me), SOG full size "JetEdge".
To each their own I always say and that's what makes the knife world so diverse. I'm sure it also makes Sal groan when he thinks Spyderco has a winner and it flops. The Toad is not a "flop" in my eyes but a true winner! You really have to experience it's build quality to appreciate it.

Well, I think the Toad is a great little knife. It is "solid" and the small blade is deceptive--there is alot of cutting power due to the ergonomics of the handle--
I also have the Mouse which is also a great little knife(far the same reasons as the Toad)
I don't mind the price either, they might be a little pricey but you get what you pay for!
woody

Toadie Number One reporting, Sir! <salute>

Love my Toad! And appreciate it even more after chatting about it with the designer, D'Alton Holder. Size vs. price? As a sex therapist once said, "It's not the size of the wand, it's the magic behind it." Besides, I can always get some REAL BIG KNIVES for REAL CHEAP at my local flea market.
wink.gif

Toadies Unite!

------------------
Holger :c{{{&lt;
AKTI Member No: A001324
-----------------------
www.cockroachfarm.com

Gene,
The "two things we have in common" are pretty special. I also own two Dalton "Pocket Hawks". I only own one "Toad", however I certainly will get another one if they're going to become extinct. I'm very pleased with these little knives, both are solid as little tanks. I think either one could handle almost ANY job with ease.
I was a little apprehensive at doing it, but the other night I used the "white" (finest grit) "Scotch-Brite" on the scales of my Toad. It had a couple of "polish marks" on the scales and I wanted them gone. Worked like a charm!

Will

I personally like Ladybugs...I hear the Toad is nice but overpriced...hmmmm...you could go for a Lady bug....Ladybug, good name isn't it? When need to open a letter what comes to mind...a letter opener...but you don't HAVE a letter opener, you have a LADYBUG! MUHAHAHA! Rise up from the pockets and purses and swarm the world my little minions! (I like ladybugs...name is good too) I will look into the Toad once I rule the Lady bug world!

------------------
Striking from the darkest
void, invoking fear in my
enemies, I am the
TechnoKnight!

Back