Any other lefties prefer right handed knives?

Although I am a lefty, I actually prefer right handed knives, especially liner locks.
This is a good thing for me, because there just are not too many lefty knives out there, and now I would not buy one anyway.

Also, it seems to me to be a bit safer manipulating a righty liner lock with the left, because the thumb is actually pulling out of the way of the blade path, whereas with a lefty liner lock the thumb pushes across the path.

definitely not. i can deal with using righty knives but i can't stand the fact that i have to reach around to hit the liner lock. it may be safer but it's certainly not more convenient. I love my left sebbie, but other than that i tend to end up with a lot of lockbacks. I think maybe the spyderco mouse will be next mmmm.... reversable clip.... :D

- Pete

I have a couple of righty liner-locks that I use with no problems, but I've gotten more picky. I got a lefty Sifu recently and it spoiled me. Unless I really, really like a particular knife that isn't made in a left-handed version, I'll probably stick with southpaw knives. I'll probably get an LCC regardless, but I'd rather pony up the extra 50 bucks for a lefty Emerson Commander.

Zero

pjenkins00,

What do you mean you have to "reach around" to hit the liner lock?

Unless you are doing it the wrong way ( :D ), it's only a difference of pulling with your thumb, instead of pushing.

I used to have a thing about lefty knives but not since I started using the Benchmade Axis-lock.Every lefty owns it to themself to try the axis-lock, you'll never look back.For me totally ambi knives are the only way to go.
Mike :D

i am a righty, but i like having a righty 806 in my left front pocket. This lets me pull the knife out left handed and inertia open it into a reverse grip. I carry a Matriarch in my right pocket for conventional opening. I carry other knives, but this is generally my edc setup.

Another southpaw here.

I own both lefty versions of knives as well as righty versions of knives and my biggest concern is opening the knife.

I prefer knives that are truely ambidextrious so they can be operated easily with either hand.

I prefer knives that have a cutout on left side so that my thumb can easily operate the opening mechanism, and I prefer knives that allow me to change the side the clip is on so that I can carry it either strong or weak side.

Knives that I am particularly happy with currently include:

Benchmades with the Axis lock. Have a 806D2 on order and I have been carrying a 550 for about 6 months, great design. Also just got a old BM800S which is reasonable for a southpaw, wish the clip was reversable though.

Spyderco's. I have many Spydies and most are great for a southpaw, the only one that I have that isnt that great is a Wegner Jr. The others that I have (Endura, Delica, Calypso Jr., Military) are all fine for a southpaw IMHO.

Kershaw, I have a LH Minitask and its great, perfect really for a southpaw. Have tried most of the rest and I have found them to be a challange for a lefty, but I am going to try the Boa next and see how that one goes.

I prefer to be adept with a knife with either the left or right hand and I want to be able to operate it with either hand in case one is disabled for some reason. I guess the best way to do this is to carry fixed blades but I doubt the sheeple would appreciate that.

If the only thing "right handed" about a knife is the abscence of dual thumbstuds, I have to wonder if maybe it's just the idea of a knife being left handed that lefties prefer.

In other words, it's only a matter of coincidence that left handed knives require a push instead of a pull to disengage the liner lock...Michael Walker could just as easily have concieved of the original liner lock completely opposite of the original concept...if that makes any sense..

Myself, I don't see any advantage to pushing instead of pulling, and since the majority of knives have "right hand" liner locks, it is in my best interest to adapt. And, as I said before, using your left thumb on a "right hand" liner lock is actually safer...so, I really don't see any downside for lefties.

All of this is in regards to the liner lock. Dual thumbstuds should be standard on any knife, in my opinion, and the same goes for reversible pocket clips, if a knife has one.

To me, it doesn't feel as natural to pull instead of push. While it's probably safer, it's also a bit clunky. Then again, if Mr. Walker had designed it the opposite way, I'd probably think that way was awkward and clunky :D . If THAT makes any sense...

That said, I've "trained" my hand enough on righties to where I don't feel as clumsy doing it. I used to push the back of the blade on the back of my leg then flip it back around to close it before.

I think left-handed opening AND closing makes a knife a lefty. Damn right-handers...

The left hand is not the hand of the devil -- okay maybe it is,
Zero

Originally posted by mikemck
Dual thumbstuds should be standard on any knife, in my opinion, and the same goes for reversible pocket clips, if a knife has one.
I agree completely. Those two things are all it takes for me to consider a knife ambi. Closing a liner lock with either hand isn't a problem.

Just my two cents, but I actually prefer a righty knife to a lefty. I've adapted, and find them just as easy to use, even the auto's.

As long as it has dual thumbstuds, and a reversible clip, I could care less about what lock it has, and for what hand - I don't need to <b>close</b> the knife quickly.

Kevin

Any other lefties prefer right handed knives?

HE!! NO

They are called right handed and Left Handed for a reason.

I only carry a small Left Handed Sebenza.

My second choice would be one of the BM Axis lock folders.

No

I am a lefty and prefer true "lefty" knives. But I also like to have "ambi" openers so I can "play" with my knives in the car...just don't crash!

i find that i tend to rotate the knife in my hand so that i can get access to the linerlock, i'd rather have my thumb on the other side of it than trust friction against the side of my thumb. when there isn't much liner extending from the scales it isn't as big a reacharound, but when there's lots of liner there i wanna be on the righty side of it. does what i'm saying make sense?

- Pete

Johnclarke, i have a righty boa and it works very well lefty, despite the lack of a reversible clip. :)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of my friend Rick gray:D, I've carried a knife right handed for so long it now seems natural. When I do come across a left handed knife and try it, it really feels odd to cut with my left hand. It is the only thing in my life I do right handed.

Dave,

You need to get a Left Handed knife and practice.

We want you back.

LEFT HANDERS UNITE :D

Speaking of southpaws uniting (in a non-sexual manner), whatever happened to the push for a left-handers forum? I think it died since it was tucked away in the Support forum.

Since we have a moderator peeking in here, would be in good taste to try to push for it again here in General?

Left-handedly yours (in a non-sexual manner),
Zero

MikieMck,

I prefer lefty knives. Am fond of my Rekat Carnivores, but would like a lefty one better. Am annoyed that I didn't buy one from REKAT at a New York show about 2 years ago. Sometimes carry a Carnivore for righty access, along with a primary blade for lefty access. Am better with my left hand. Might need to use the left hand to fend off an attacker, while I draw with my right, but would prefer it the other way. Gotta practice both sides.

Lefty forum here would be cool. :cool: Please let me know if one starts.

Alan

Back