Any squirrel hunters out there, here's a knife for ya.

IG, we are! I got tree rats in the freezer, and been feeding a bunch of old folks that can't get out and get any. My .17 HMR spells D-E-A-T-H for squirrels. I just need to build a good squirrel knife, smaller than the great bear killer "squirrel knife" posted at the beginning. IG, MR. Rascal!

Around here that'd be a bird and trout knife, not squirle. You'd need a little bigger blade for squirle! :eek:

I can't comment on the handle, the computer moniters on the rig show pics on the dark side so it's hard to see. But if it's comfortable and you like it then go for it.

Mike, that is one fine knife as is. It is approaching the size required for mosquitos in Alaska. They don't bite, they bring a friend and take YOU home for dinner.

I wouldn't do anything else to it, and the random cuts are perfect. It fits together just right.

Thanks for sharing :)

Dave

John Andrews said:
IG, we are! I got tree rats in the freezer, and been feeding a bunch of old folks that can't get out and get any. My .17 HMR spells D-E-A-T-H for squirrels. I just need to build a good squirrel knife, smaller than the great bear killer "squirrel knife" posted at the beginning. IG, MR. Rascal!
My favorite gun for rat (squirrel)hunting is my trap-door 45-70. But then I don't eat tree RATS. :D :D

Naw,IG, you just eat those bottom feeders! .45/70 wouldn't leave much for the frying pan! I want to ask our thread host if that big knife was a hard job to balance. It looks well balanced.

Not at all John!
I don't know if it's a natural trait of L6 or if it just happens for me cause I love big knives but these bowies always come out nice and balanced for me and to be honest I don't really even give it much thought, lol.
This one levels out right in back of the grind lines. If I'd left the handles my usual thickness it would be a little farther back but it's still a light feeling knife. The grooves really make the grip feel good and if I can get over the unpolished look to it I wouldn't have any problems with it at all.

Dave, I've heard about those daggum monster skeeters in Alaska! They're thick down here but not near that big, we just ping em on the fly with a bb gun. Gives us good practice for when gnat season opens up. :D

Back