Any thoughts on Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue?

I am considering this knife and had a few questions, any insight would be great.
1. Thoughts on the BD-1 steel?
2. Thoughts on the handle material? I'm more used to heavier knives with wood or dymondwood scales and steel liners. I just bought a Buck Sprint with glass filled nylon handles and if you check for blade play the whole dang handles flexes. I'm not a big fan of that.
3. Is it a USA made knife. The reason I ask is b/c DLT puts a little flag next to the USA models. All the other Manix has the flag but this one. It looks like it say USA on the blade tho.
I'm getting this for a general, do it all edc.
Also, I really dig the looks of the Translucent blue.
Anything else I should know?
Thanks!!

It is made in Golden, CO. The handle is FRCP, which is harder and less flexible than FRN. The steel is Carpenter Steel's version of GIN-1, the steel that Spyderco built their reputation on back in the 80s. It isn't a super steel anymore, but is still pretty decent at the price point. Unless you cut a lot of rocks, it should be fine for day to day chores.

I've had one for years and I like it a lot, but I'm not a big fan of heavy knives.

It is made in Golden, CO. The handle is FRCP, which is harder and less flexible than FRN. The steel is Carpenter Steel's version of GIN-1, the steel that Spyderco built their reputation on back in the 80s. It isn't a super steel anymore, but is still pretty decent at the price point. Unless you cut a lot of rocks, it should be fine for day to day chores.

I've had one for years and I like it a lot, but I'm not a big fan of heavy knives.
Thanks for the info.
I'm getting it as an edc b/c all my knives are either too heavy (Benchmade Crooked River, Buck 110) or too small (various Case pocket knives).

The manix lw is a great knife. I sold mine, I never carried or used it, so it went to someone who would. But it was solid, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed one.

The new ones have been upgraded to bd1n steel, which seems much better in the edge retention department than bd1. You should enjoy it!

I am considering this knife and had a few questions, any insight would be great.
1. Thoughts on the BD-1 steel?
2. Thoughts on the handle material? I'm more used to heavier knives with wood or dymondwood scales and steel liners. I just bought a Buck Sprint with glass filled nylon handles and if you check for blade play the whole dang handles flexes. I'm not a big fan of that.
3. Is it a USA made knife. The reason I ask is b/c DLT puts a little flag next to the USA models. All the other Manix has the flag but this one. It looks like it say USA on the blade tho.
I'm getting this for a general, do it all edc.
Also, I really dig the looks of the Translucent blue.
Anything else I should know?
Thanks!!

Can’t say I’ve read anything bad about any of the steel Spyderco uses. IMO, they do an excellent job with S30V. I just picked up my first Manix 2 and was pleasantly happy with the knife. I’ve been hesitant o get one, finally pulled the trigger and will get another one.
If you like the translucent blue, why not get it? If you’re going to use the knife, the steel is not going to matter as much as the overall package and the smile it brings to your face when you use it.

In one word, superb. The Manix 2 is Eric Glesser’s best design so far imo.
It’s my everyday work knife, camping folder and the one folder I chose over all others to go with me and my wife on our best vacation yet. If the SHTF, this folder comes along for the ride.
The scales are super lightweight yet very strong. 2.9ozs for a knife of this size, an achievement. The translucent handle looks cool and is definitely a conversation piece.
The blade Steel is very adequate for the price point. Tough and can be sharpened to a razors edge.
The only negative I can think of is that it’s a pocket hog, but the light weight seems to make it ok.
One day it will be the most carried Spyderco I’ve ever owned.
Don’t think I could suggest a better folder for the money.
znILqsm.jpg

Last edited:
The new Manix LW models are BD1N now, it’s a significant improvement over BD1. I know for sure the DLC models are switched over, the blue may be by now as well.

I don't have any experience with the translucent blue version or that steel, but I like my Manix LW a lot. It was my main edc knife for over a year until I recently decided to customize a Griptilian. The FRCP is fairly rigid, but if I squeeze pretty hard it will flex just a little bit. Never had a concern about it breaking. Only negative things I have to say about it are the closed width makes it a bit of a pocket hog that takes some getting used to and the LW versions are pretty stiff at first. Overall it's a great design that is easy to carry for it's size and the caged ball bearing lock is really solid.

Wow, almost any knife there's always a nay sayer, not for this one tho. I'm sold, just might have to wait for next payday, maybe not tho.... gotta do the math.

B930A7E4-B890-47FE-90B1-617676BE8F69.jpeg The Manix 2 lightweight is my most carried Spyderco knife.

I am really looking forward to the Rex45 version.

That particular Manix 2 lightweight is one of my most used knives. I love it. You can’t go wrong with that choice and even my wife likes the looks.

I had a Manix 2 G 10 for years and never carried it because it was just too heavy. Bought the blue translucent and the black lightweight Of all the Spyderco’s I own it is the most comfortable in hand. You won’t be sorry if you get one(or two)

BD1 Translucent Blue was my first Manix 2 LW. I cut a lot of cardboard with that knife and BD1 is better than a lot of people give it credit for. It's very stainless and aasy to put a great edge on it too. I gave that knife to a friend and he loves it. The new versions with BD1N should be even better.

1 of my favourite plain edge spydies.

I wondered how the translucent scales, would hold up, after a couple of years it's held up good.

Last edited:
It's still in my shopping cart but I have to hold off for a bit.
Thanks for all the insights, I appreciate it.

Back