Any tips for increasing the grippiness of FRN?

The FRN on my Para 3 LW seems more slippery than my other FRN Spydercos, especially on the radii where it's not textured. It's not a problem when cutting, but all other handling tasks with this knife are more fumble-prone than any of my other knives. Before I start going at it with sandpaper I figured I'd see if there are any tried and true methods.

I don't want to use grip tape or similar, and for various reasons this probably won't be an EDC knife anyway, so replacement scales wouldn't be worth the cost.

Thanks.

Stippling? Seems popular with the Glock guys...

Last edited:
I've had some solvents like Acetone and Methylene Chloride along with MEK really give certain synthetic surfaces a more tacky feel to it. There are types of grip tape you can get at hardware stores that might help. Also as far as a really good chemical cleaning it's hard to beat "Bar Keeper's Friend" for a thorough cleaning that can give the surface a bit more of a tacky feel to it.

Stippling

rimg.php

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve cleaned the scales, it’s just the way the material is. MEK would probably get me closest to what I want as far as surface texture, but I doubt I could control the application and removal well enough to keep from buggering it up. My stippling efforts haven’t been too rewarding, either.

I think stippling is the way to go. If you didn't have much success maybe try a new technique. I used a pointy scribe to make a stippled texture on my Centofante 3. Worked pretty well.
Did the same on my Fox Vox Core.

That is my only gripe with the Para 3 LW and never really noticed it until I sharpened it, a Delica and a Native 5. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything to be done and me personally wouldn't try to modify it in anyway. It's a great knife and it honestly doesn't bother me enough to worry.

I tried sandpaper with so-so results. Then a Dremel with a wire wheel, which only polished it more smooth. I ended up using a 6” bench grinder with a wire wheel. The grippiness is fantastic, and it doesn’t look too hacked up, either. We’ll have to see how it wears over time.

DiguWDL.jpg

Back