Any word of the Sliverax?

My Sliverax just arrived. Thoughts:
  • It flips like a Spyderco - not well. It can flip open properly if you wind up, but you gotta think about it. It might break in with use, or with pivot adjustments
  • You can close it without the flipper tab hitting your finger. The compression lock tab is long enough that you can press it at the bottom and have enough clearance for the flipper tab to close all the way
  • Having your finger slide into the compression lock when flipping doesn't seem to be an issue - everything around the compression lock tab is chamfered nicely
  • Ergos are.. odd? It doesn't have a finger choil so my hand is pretty far back on the handle, which means my thumb sits on the compression lock tab. Not super comfy
  • (Added) The lock release tab seems to be stiffer than on other compression lock knives I've tried before. It's leaving an indentation on my finger when unlocking the knife. I don't have a PM2 anymore but I don't remember it being as stiff
It's probably a catch and release for me.
Bummer. I get mine today. Hopefully I will warm up to it.

Got mine today. I like everything about it except the fact that the detent is so weak. I don't mind it in terms of flipping action, because I prefer the Spydie hole, but it is so weak it easily shakes open, and I am afraid it will open in my pocket by accident. Really love the knife otherwise. Anyone else have this concern with theirs?

Got mine today. I like everything about it except the fact that the detent is so weak. I don't mind it in terms of flipping action, because I prefer the Spydie hole, but it is so weak it easily shakes open, and I am afraid it will open in my pocket by accident. Really love the knife otherwise. Anyone else have this concern with theirs?
Man, I don't like the sound of that...wonder if it's just yours or if all of them are like that? I would be sending it back to Spyderco and see if it could be improved.

Got mine in and overall it's... weird. Like I kind of expected. Highlights:

- The detent isn't weak but it's not strong either. Strong enough to prevent shaking it out but it's a pretty uninspiring flipper. It works beautifully with the Spydiehole, which isn't a surprise. Spyderco takes the "multiple opening methods" thing seriously, but that often leads to a less than spectacular flipper.
- When flipping the knife, you have to make a very conscious effort to not follow through with your index finger into the lock area. It's not a great feeling if you don't. You sort of have to flip the knife by applying a sharp lightswitch-style force and then immediately retract your finger away from the spine of the knife.
- The ergos are strange; not uncomfortable in the sense of hotspots, just strange in how unconventional the handle shape is. Your hand sure has hell isn't going to slip onto the blade though!

Gotta get more experience with the knife but it certainly is of that lovable brand of wackiness you expect from Spyderco.

Got mine in and overall it's... weird. Like I kind of expected. Highlights:

- The detent isn't weak but it's not strong either. Strong enough to prevent shaking it out but it's a pretty uninspiring flipper. It works beautifully with the Spydiehole, which isn't a surprise. Spyderco takes the "multiple opening methods" thing seriously, but that often leads to a less than spectacular flipper.
- When flipping the knife, you have to make a very conscious effort to not follow through with your index finger into the lock area. It's not a great feeling if you don't. You sort of have to flip the knife by applying a sharp lightswitch-style force and then immediately retract your finger away from the spine of the knife.
- The ergos are strange; not uncomfortable in the sense of hotspots, just strange in how unconventional the handle shape is. Your hand sure has hell isn't going to slip onto the blade though!

Gotta get more experience with the knife but it certainly is of that lovable brand of wackiness you expect from Spyderco.

Pretty much the same here. Detent is weak but it won't open from shaking it. I don't mind the action required for flipping as that's how I default approach flippers. Spydiehole works great for slow open or middle finger flick. Probably gonna fiddle with mine a little to see if I can get blade to drop shut like my PM2 when lock is disengaged.

Correction: I can shake it out if I try hard enough. Loosening the pivot ever so slightly has definitely improved the smoothness.

Haha guess I wasn't trying hard enough. I can too if I shake hard and in the right way. Still trust it won't open in my pocket though. And yeah pivot was just a hair too tight from factory. Action is great now.

I had one and decided to sell it right away. Fit and finish on the knife was excellent but, I was not a fan of the flipper. Spyderco still doesnt do a great job at making a flipper which is surprising because they make excellent knives generally speaking. Ill stick to spydie hole dedicated or waved knives and be happy. The handle shape is not something I am use to I think its similar to something like a spydiechef or bowie where the hold is inside the handle so flicking straight up your thumb gets in the way. That doesn't bother most people...similar to how you open a seb, slowly. Just not my style.

Even though the early reports seem lack luster I am still looking forward to mine arriving tomorrow. Still trying to find a knife to dethrone my PM2 obsession. I went through a flipper stage with Kershaw / ZT then Spyderco. I enjoy carrying my Mantra and my Domino, Didn't like the Southard, The Rubicon 2 was ok but did not sit deep enough in the pocket for me. Positron was nice but a little on the smaller side than what I like for my EDC. I still reach for the PM2 5x more often then either of those other options. Hoping this one has something that is missing to make me want to carry it more. I always thought that if a PM2 had a flipper it would be cool. This is the closest thing to that out there now from Spyderco and I am looking forward to trying it.

Last edited:
Even though the early reports seem lack luster I am still looking forward to mine arriving tomorrow. Still trying to find a knife to dethrone my PM2 obsession. I went through a flipper stage with Kershaw / ZT then Spyderco. I enjoy carrying my Mantra and my Domino, Didn't like the Southard, The Manix2 was ok but did not sit deep enough in the pocket for me. Positron was nice but a little on the smaller side than what I like for my EDC. I still reach for the PM2 5x more often then either of those other options. Hoping this one has something that is missing to make me want to carry it more. I always thought that if a PM2 had a flipper it would be cool. This is the closest thing to that out there now from Spyderco and I am looking forward to trying it.

I got mine Friday and like it. The knife would flip better with a slightly stronger dentent and it can be shook open but you have to do it very strongly. My main gripe is the pocket clip. It has the awesome deep carry wire clip but it seems like they prioritized the lanyard hole position which means the clip mounts below it and therefor the knife isn't as deep carry as it could be. The ergos are weird but a good weird in my opinion.

I got mine Friday and like it. The knife would flip better with a slightly stronger dentent and it can be shook open but you have to do it very strongly. My main gripe is the pocket clip. It has the awesome deep carry wire clip but it seems like they prioritized the lanyard hole position which means the clip mounts below it and therefor the knife isn't as deep carry as it could be. The ergos are weird but a good weird in my opinion.

I got mine this morning. Switched it to Lefty carry and off I go. First Impressions: I like the design, lines, style, fit and finish. The blade is unique in angle and shape. Looks like it will be an excellent slicer. Flipping action is ok. When I get home I am going to compare it to the Mantra and Domino but from muscle memory it feels about the same those two. Large spydie hole is awesome, the knife flicks open flawlessly with thumb and middle finger flick left or right handed. ( I have not mastered the other fingers yet.) Closing the knife left handed with the compression lock is harder to do left handed than with a PM2, I just need to make sure I have a good grip so I don't drop the knife. There is less handle grip to hold onto on the opposite side. Having the good grip means the knife does not fall shut for me because the flipper hits my thumb. I agree with the clip could have carried deeper and I also prefer my 4+" closed medium to larger knives to be able to carry tip down. I also like the feel of the grips. Overall I like the knife and I look forward to putting it through the paces.

View media item 1961

Back