Anybody ever get buyers remorse?

Yeah, It seems to happen to me frequently.....I bought a coyote M1 Combative Edge in coyote g-10, a month ago. It seemed fine, however after using it over a month, the pivot kept loosening up. I proceeded to take the pivot screw out to apply some blue loctite. Upon doing so, I noticed there was already a bit of loctite on the screw from the factory. Anyways, now the blade is way off center, and rubbing the g-10. No simple way to fix it. Nor should I have to...It's a 225 dollar knife from BladeHQ. Not to mention, Combative Edge has never responded to multiple inquiries via their contact page.

I've also had to send a 1300 Sig rifle back twice, a handful of knives...now another one. It seems the toys that I buy these days mostly are defective, thus buyers remorse. Maybe someone is trying to tell me to quit buying toys.

Buyers remorse always hits when these expensive items turn out to be more trouble then they're worth...

My Spyderco's have been good, thus far.

Last edited:
I'm sure as we progress in this hobby buyer's remorse pops up from time to time. I would usually keep the knife for a week or so. If it doesn't grow on me by then, I'll put it back on the market. Luckily with Spydercos, I've yet to experience any buyer's remorse since I've enjoyed and loved every single purchase. They just make excellent knives for the money. Like some of the members mentioned, seller's remorse however is a different story... I should have kept my waved Endura and waved Delica.

Gringo, what you are going through is very normal, and more common that some admit. It's going to eventually happen in this hobby.

Where I see problems are the folks who can't seem to admit any problem or weakness or mistake. We actually have had people that will become histrionic about problems with the knife some times going so far as to use enlarged pictures of flaws which often are in areas difficult to see, or not noticeable to most human eyes.

Knives that need slight break in periods are then described as the hardest knife I've ever had to open, The edge bevel is so off it won't cut and is the worst ever seen in their life.

I can go on but I'm sure you get the idea. Some will then exaggerate times it took to get responses from W&R, attitudes of people spoken too, etc. The "tell" of these types is they generally seem more interested in Oprah show tactics of getting the crowd stirred up and behind them rather than any real offers at a solution by W&R or the company in question, or good, bad or just honest suggestions by experienced forumites.

Requests to examine the knife in the lab , which is reasonable and done more to find out if there are bad knives out there possibly ruining the hard earned reputation of a company and NOT done as a trap to make the complaining person look bad. Most of the time when and if the knife repair people do find evidence of tampering or negligence or sabotage they are handled quietly through phone calls or PM's and not on the website despite it's origin there. Despite the customers antics and attempt at slime-ing the company in order to get others to help pressure the company in question into sending a replacement or refund.

It sounds very cynical but I assure you it happens around here fairly often. Look for the needless drama posts to begin. Look also for the type personalities that can in no way ever admit do being incorrect even about the smallest of things normal types thank others for catching and correcting.

Instead of a thank you for correcting and sharing information a personal attack is made even when not appropriate. (some times it may be appropriate. :eek:. Humans and their world are complicated looking at it from a Mastiff's point of view. :) )

Last edited:
Hah, yeah mastiff, I've seen a little of that. I learned a long time ago that it's easier to just tell it like it is, even if I don't end up looking like the smartest guy in town. ;). There is nothing wrong with my ti Millie! It is a spectacular example of a quality knife! The truth is, I just got a little too fired up one night and made an impulse buy on something that if I'm honest with myself, I have to admit I don't really need. Because of the way my brain works, that makes me feel a little guilty or wasteful. Like I said earlier, if I had a need for the knife then the money wouldn't bother me. I'm looking at a trade with a buddy who has and aqua salt and another goodie or two. I can't imagine I would feel the slightest bit of guilt for having an aqua salt mounted in my fishing kayak! :). At the end of the day it just makes me feel stupid for not thinking it through better before hitting the button. Whatever, these are high class problems! :). I bet everything will work out just fine. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to address and relate to my temporary neurosis. :D

I get non-buyers remorse more often. As stated in a few years you will have forgotten the expenditure. However we forever remember the xxxxxx we passed up because it was too expensive, wrong color handle or whatever excuse we used. Darn those xxxxx's.

I learned a long time ago that it's easier to just tell it like it is, even if I don't end up looking like the smartest guy in town.

Gringo, IMO you would look a lot better than someone who goes through every possible trick attempting to confuse or deceive others then end up getting caught in a lie anyway. We have had some epic crash and burns around here that just got worse with every post until the person left from shame or went rabid from being laughed at by others sick of the nonsense, drama and lies.

By the way, I'm not at all trying to say anyone should or shouldn't keep or get rid of any knife. That's a personal thing and flaws in the knife aren't needed for one to feel dissatisfied with a knife. Most of us aren't rich and knives that don't do it for us should be returned or sold, whichever is appropriate. Drama isn't needed for that either. :)

Regards,

Joe

Agree with the comments. I've never really had buyers remorse with any knife. If you buy quality, which you did OP, then you can get most of your money back. Now sellers remorse stinks.

Sometimes I think; did I really need another Millie, but then I usually come to my senses and enjoy it:D That said I don't really get along with the ti Millie so I don't own one of those atm. Really do prefer the CF ones. Might have to get another one in CF after the Cruwear and black blade camo one that are on the way...

Not buyers remorse, but I have bought several over the years with the thought of trying them out, and knowing that I can resell with little effort. I got into a loop of this a while back thinking I could find something I liked better than my G-10 Endura. After several passing thorugh, including 2 Sebs, it was clear it was not to be the case.

the only knife I regreted buying as a cheap one. $18.00 Enlan Bee EL04. I just thought buying something cheap would hold me over for a while, I just think why did I buy this piece of junk. When it comes to good knifes, I only regrete a few I have gotten rid of.

I guess it depends one where you are in life financially. If I were younger and had less, I think I would freel guilty if I spend 200.00 on a knife. now that im older and doing not so bad,....I still feel guilty buying one, but never regrete the purchase after I have it.

Back