1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Anybody got a Case purple synthetic yet?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Ice Tigre, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2004
    New SFO run from a big dealer I can't name here. Looks interesting to me, but I'd like to see one in Non stock photos if possible, to see the color before I pull the trigger on one. Anybody got one they could take a pic or two of? :)

-G.

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I don't often buy a knife until it proves unpopular and goes on deep discount.

3. Ice Tigre

Dec 17, 2004
    Thats how I found them, these are already on clearance price even though they'really new. They're even less than the average for the yellow delrin line! Hopping to grab a couple before they either go back off sale or dissappear.. IF the color is a liveable shade.. ;)

4. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Take a shot with one. If it turns out sickly you could always dye it.

5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Not sure if you can dye synthetics though??:confused:

Point is, I just wish CASE would start using proper photos of their knives instead of frankly meaningless line drawings. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Will

6. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    You're right about synthetics Will. I wasn't paying attention.

7. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Is it a line drawing? With the digital talent these days, I'm not certain but it looks like a photo. Not my favorite color but genuine purple peaple eater hide is a unique material. ;)

[​IMG]

8. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Thats actually quite a tasteful shade of purple..if there is such a thing.

9. dpowers311

dpowers311

Jan 23, 2014
    Received a case catalog that had them in it. I said to my wife I am going to get a purple knife.

Dave

10. Doubletee

Doubletee

Apr 10, 2013
    Ice Tigre can you say where this sale is???

11. Doubletee

Doubletee

Apr 10, 2013
    Never mind!,,, think I found them?

12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    No, I was referring to CASE's catalogue pictures, they don't seem accurate or reliable to me but I too wasn't paying attn.

Alan Actually you might be correct, I've got a CASE Yellow D Pen that got stained by oil and black dye, I really thought it was proof against colour, seems not

13. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    The catalog photos might be line drawings. I looked closely at them and I suspect they are actual photos that are heavily photoshopped and then they cut and paste different handle materials on them. The metal surfaces and gradients are definitely fake. Either way, I'd also prefer real photos. I'm guessing their photoshopped images are better suited for marketing though.

14. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    So they are. I browse that site's specials pretty often but I'd missed them.
    I have a purple peanut with a pink peace sign, but it's a bluer purple.

15. Rooboy123

Rooboy123

Sep 19, 2015
    What's the handle material on these knives?

16. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Case's stock "photos" are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to the color of dyed bone, but I would think (hope?) they would be more accurate for a synthetic material. I wouldn't normally go for purple, but that ones not bad looking.

17. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Having said that, I'm looking at the knives now, and the color on this teardrop doesn't look nearly as appealing as the stockman posted above (looks more like a pastel Easter purple), so who knows what the actual knives will look like.

[​IMG]

18. Ice Tigre

Dec 17, 2004
    Dang,you guys really had me going there! If I could dye Delrin, that'd be great!

As far as I can tell, it's Delrin, like the black or yellow ones..

Yeah...thats why I was hoping someone had a knife so I could get a "real" photo, not a professional one done in a several thousand dollar light box making fake "perfect" light and no shadows, with "perfect" white backgrounds... I can't stand sterile stock photos.

I guess I'll have to see what I can do about raising some funds before the sale ends and see if I can pick one up, and see what I get. :)

19. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Colors are tricky.
    I was looking at a denim -blue Derby-handled cane on line, and the complaints were all about the color: "That isn't denim, it's teal! (or turquoise, or aqua, or royal blue, or magenta or puce)".