Anybody have a Livesay Intrusion Team Knife?

Livesay's Intrusion Team Knife (ITK)-- Wondered what kind of chopper it is. Is it blade-heavy for chopping, or does that big "hammer plate" on the pommel cause it to balance too far back? Any feedback on what kind of slicer it is with that full flat grind, or how effective/how sturdy the chisel tip is?

Thanks--Will

The ITK is a heavy use tool. You can dig, pry, chop, or whatever without fear that the tool will fail. It has a fairly neutral balance, but is heavy. For lighter cutting jobs, look at a NRGS or LP. Quality is flawless.

I thought I recalled that Newt Livesay was dropping that from the line. I think he sold the last of them as well. Dont take my word for it though. E-mail him at his web site. Becker Knife and Tool, has a similar product that I have heard good things about. But check Newt first.

Louis, img :

http://members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/ITK.jpg

http://members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/ITK.html

Becker version :

http://www.camillusknives.com/images/bkt/tactool-500.jpg

Have not used either, but have used knives from both makers/manufacturers. The Livesay handle looks superior shape wise (end hook looks to have a better grade/angle) and is constructed from higher grade materials in any case.

Blade profiles look very similar, the Tactool has serrations, advantages in regards to cutting, severe disadvantage in regards to durability. No doubt that Newt would provide a much better sheath.

Given the nature of the grinds, I would not see either as chopping well. For short term chopping, which is all you would want to be doing with such a blade, balance can be adjusted by grip, you lose a lot of comfort that way (and precision), but in the short term it is not that critical.

Kit Carson (I think) makes dive knives with similar tip geometry for prying and such. Totally different edge geometry.

What is the reason for the total lack of edge curvature? Ease of sharpening? You are gutting slicing peformance by doing that.

-Cliff

Thanks to all for the input. Newt is doing a run of them right now for the FBI and has a few left unspoken for, so thought I'd find out a little more about them. Looks like the definition of a "sharpened pry-bar".

Also might evade the definition of "knife" under Texas law, looking more like some kind of a cross between a knife and a hatchet. Assuming that were true, one might carry it without concern for blade-length restrictions here. (Not that I pay much attention to those anyway, unless I'm in town, which is rare.) A few curious aspects intersected in the design to arouse my interest, and I appreciate the thoughts and info.

--Will York

Will York, and other;

Thank you very for the questions about the Intrusion Team Knife "ITK" here on blade forums. The ITK is not your everyday carry knife by any means. I asked a Deputy Sheriff out of Kansas once how he carried his ITK, and he said he "carries his in the back of his squad car." A Marine Officer in a Force Recon Unit some time back wanted one of the ITK knives to carry on his side. I explained that he would end up throwing the knife away after about half a days ruck in the jungle. This knife is a little heavy to just be a everyday carry.

The ITK is 13-5/8" OAL with a blade that is 2 inches wide, and has 7-1/2 inches of cutting surface. The blade is a extra high grind single flat surface, with a wedged or reinforced chisel tip. Handle scales are MICARTA, and a special "hammer plate" is welded onto the butt of the knife. Blades have a "nail puller" or "detonation wire cutter" on the top edge that can be used in spec-ops.

The ITK is made from 1095 high carbon tool steel for a couple of reasons. Most of these knives are sold to military/special operation personnel and/or police officers. The reason we use carbon for the knives is durability, ease of sharpening, and other factors such as sparking, etc.

i.e. A U.S. Navy Seal Chief just ordered a Company Knife from us. I told him we has a few Company knife blanks that were cut out of CM-154 stainless steel, and wondered if he would like one of these CM-154 blades for the salt water?

"NO! I want the carbon 1095 model so I can use it for striking a spark if need be" was the answer.

Mr. York you are right about the ITK being ordered by the FBI. We are doing a limited run for a FBI sniper team in one of the largest city in the mid south. These people will be using this knife to made "hides" mostly from what I was told. I tried to talk to them about the RCM or RTAK to no avail. They had seen and/or had there mind set on the ITK.

Anytime I run a special run of knives I will make a couple of extra encase of some unforseen problem in heat treat, warppage, etc. The ITK knife is not a standard production knife for us any more, and sometimes the wait for a single "ITK" knife is up to 6 or 8 months. As of this post (0947 CTZ-10-24-01) we will have a total of four (4) pieces extra for sale this year.

I do not post much on the forums due to my work load right now. I would like to say that I am for the first time pushing or putting civilian orders behind military personnel who order from us. We have small contracts with the U.S. Military (SOCOM), and the DEA at present. We have numerous small order from personnel who are most likely getting ready to deploy overseas. These orders we are trying to fill first.

Most of you who know me understand that I do not conduct business on or over the internet forums, but I want to publicly thank all of you for your support, and understanding of our delays in shipping some orders. As it stands right now we have either cancelled or refunded nine (9) orders to customers for one reason or the other in the last 90 days. That is more refunds and/or cancelled order in the last 90 days than I have had in the last 10 years combined.

At present it is sometimes hard to get someone here at the office to answer the telephone or e-mail you back that very instants you call us. We will call you back if you leave numbers, etc, and we will e-mail you back about any of our products, orders, charges, etc, if you request the same. Again thank you all for your support, I would like to tell everyone who has orders with me "Thank You."

Newt Livesay
maker
www.Newt.Livesay.com
Newt@Livesay.com

Newt Livesay--

Thank you very much for that description, both of the knife and of your current business volume. Great to hear you're in such hot demand, and knowing the reputation of your products, that's no surprise.

You've just about convinced me there are more practical blades for my purposes than an ITK. Thank you for being so forthcoming about it.

--Will

Newts reply makes me glad I bought early and often. Though if you just want to play he usually has some type of product on the shelf of slower moving models. I mean its not like they are super expensive.

Will York and others;

Will about the ITK and the comment about not needing it? I would rather not sell a knife to you are any one else than have you get something that they can't use and/or wasn't happy with. I had a man who wanted a company knife recently as a all around "utility" type knife. It took me at least 15 minutes to persuade him that this was not a utility knife. He finally took my advise and took a Air Assault at and saved himself $43.75. I could have used the extra $43.75 but he would have been upset with his first choice.

IF you need anything else please feel free to contact me.

Best regards and stay safe;
Newt
Maker

Newt@Livesay.com

Originally posted by Newt Livesay
I would rather not sell a knife to you or any one else than have you get something that they can't use and/or wasn't happy with.

I think that attitude is one of the reasons you're so successful. You offer a tremendous array of products to suit specific needs of your customers, and it's easy for someone like me, sitting in front of a computer, to see a picture of one of those products that I can imagine would be useful. I don't know how many times I've made purchase decisions based on photos and specs, and then was disappointed with the knife when I actually got it--not because it wasn't advertised properly, but because it's hard not to let my imagination affect my impression of weight, size, balance, ergonomics, etc., when all I have to go on is a photo.

Thanks again for putting your customer's needs and satisfaction ahead of profit motive--especially when that customer is ME! :)

Best regards,
Will

Will,

Newt's character and business practices are why I'm perfectly willing to wait for my 2nd Sandbar Bowie from him! #17 is a little lonely though!:D Newt is a pleasure to both talk to and do business with. I've got a few of his neckers, some woo's, a ngr, a few of his wa-1 sticks and the monster walk-about sticks as well. I very well satisfied with each. I do have my eye set on a U.S. Marshall after I get this new Sandbar though!

Hank:cool:

Hmmmmm...now that would be cool, Ebbtide! I might walk a little lopsided, but that could be balanced out with something on the other side!:D Now you've got me thinkin'! Oh oh, too much smoke from the wood burnin' up there! ....Still, ....piggybackin' a marshall on a sandbar!

Hank:cool:

Nice of you to do a personal review of the knife, with your own comments Newt..., and I'm sure no one minds waiting for our military guys to move to the front of the line!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Back