Anybody shave with a straight razor?

Thanks, it shaves really nice too. I lucked out, and it didn't have much rust on it when I found it. A few minutes cleaning it up and putting an edge back on it, and it's been great ever since. I'll have to find some more of these.

Here's a story. It relates to why straight razors were replaced by safety razors.

Bought myself a straight razor blank. Ordered out a catalog. I finish it out and sharpened it. Having used a straight razor before and having my neck shaved, during a haircut by a barber.

I decided to take the thing into the shower. I mean, why not? Keeps the bathroom sink clean. Had myself a mirror in the shower.

During my shave. I dropped the razor. Said razor landed perfectly between two toes. The bathtub turned red. All I felt was a thump on my foot. That razor cut me and cut me good. Last time I used a straight razor. In or out the shower.

Here's a story. It relates to why straight razors were replaced by safety razors.

Bought myself a straight razor blank. Ordered out a catalog. I finish it out and sharpened it. Having used a straight razor before and having my neck shaved, during a haircut by a barber.

I decided to take the thing into the shower. I mean, why not? Keeps the bathroom sink clean. Had myself a mirror in the shower.

During my shave. I dropped the razor. Said razor landed perfectly between two toes. The bathtub turned red. All I felt was a thump on my foot. That razor cut me and cut me good. Last time I used a straight razor. In or out the shower.
Straight razor shavers often quote one of the short list of rules for straight razor shaving: "Never shave naked."

Words to live by. Toes are...not the worst possible scenario.

Wait I've never heard this before... I shave naked sometimes, although I never take them into the shower because of rust. Then again, I'm mostly self-taught and do some odd things like shaving exclusively against the grain and not using foam.

I've focused my collection exclusively on custom straight razors (besides two Thiers Issards my dad gave me that got me into shaving with straights); the value you get for the amount of handcrafting is incredible. It's kind of the opposite of overhyped custom knives. It seems not a lot of people are interested in straight razors and they're tragically undervalued. So far I have Tim Zowada, Max Sprecher, Snail Forge, Rigarazor, Ali's Blade, Robert Williams, and J3.

razors.JPG

Once bitten...twice shy...know the syndrome well.
My worst cuts were done on ham tins and a very sharp metal plug-hole; never got really cut with knives or straight razors - just nicks that didn`t need medical attention...yet!

I`m used to working with sharp dangerous things after not really sensible drinking I`m ashamed to say.

One should not use chain-saws or angle-grinders - or mig weld with no gloves on after 3 or 4 bottles of Shiraz.

Did it decades ago- not so much now.

What is health and safety again ?

This morning I had a shave in the bath with no mirror ( I can put contact lenses in without one ) using a two dollar Wilkinson Sword DE razor with a Feather blade in it.No foam, no soap - against the grain - no nicks no nowt - no pre-shave, no aftershave, no moisturiser.I don`t think I have sensitive skin but it`s not rough for my age - I`m nearly sixty.
I sunbathe with no suncream on - I love it.

I`m used to shaving in the desert using a pint of water - clean if I`m lucky !

I`ve not worn shoes or socks for over 25 years - got bad arthritis - can`t get `em on.

So I wore flip-flops on a building site in Egypt and flip-flops in the snow in Norway.

I`m half Russian / half Polish and I also lived in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne ( in North West England ) for years and people up there don`t wear coats - they`re Viking stock - They go out clubbing in the snow - with not much on.It has been known to snow in June there.
Thousands of "Geordies" ( people from there are called Novocastrians ) go out in sub zero weather sometimes in shorts or knickers and a bra - I`m not kidding - I lived there on and off since 1983.They`re like the Scots or Russians - tough but warm-hearted, funny people.
The nightlife in "The Toon" ( Newcastle ) is world famous - people get a ferry from Norway to go clubbing and pulling etc - like I did from Haugsund, Norway.

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE_WINTER_CLUBBERS..jpg

I got a few broken toes that were untreated decades ago so they ain`t beautiful - but I`m not bothered about wonky toes - I`m not a foot model.

My feet are a bit dodgy because they`ve been outside since the late nineties.

LARGE_JETFLAME_BUTANE_TORCH.jpg

My nickname is Johnny-no-socks.

Last edited:
Back