Anybody use a .25-06 for a deer rifle?

I am in north central MD. My old boss insisted that his .25-06 was his favorite caliber deer rifle. I have only been deer hunting for the past 4 years (archery only). This year I need to put meat in the freezer. I have a Marlin .30-30 I plan on taking to the eastern shore this year. I'm sure it will be adequate for what I need, but I am looking for an excuse to spend my money on a new rifle. I don't want a another .30 caliber, just want to hear from fellow who have and use successfully quarter bores.

Thanks,

Dan

25-06, 257Bob, 270 Win, 30-30 are all good deer calibers. Check your local regs for minimum calibers too. 25-06 is a fast flat shooting round.

What distance and cover are you hunting?

-X

25-06 would be great for deer. There has also been a million deer killed with the 30-30. The 30-30 would best be used at shorter distances. A good all around rifle would be a 7mm.

People tend to get hung up on the bigger the better. I don't buy it. Shot placement is the most important and generally the bigger the rifle the harder the recoil and this can make people flinch.

I have seen my mother make several first shot kills on deer and elk with a .243. I know others who have used a .22-250 for deer without any issues.

Pick something that you can shoot comfortably and accurately with reasonable size and you will be fine.

One other thing. A lot will depend on the type of terrain and cover you hunt in.

I run a Savage Model 110 in 25-06, the older one with the accu-trigger. Shoots fantastic. Took an Oregon Blacktail with it a few years back, one shot and the Buck went down without taking a step, shooting 120 grain Federal Fushion.

Probably my most accurate rifle I own, have just a Redfield Revolution 3x9 on it with the accu-range reticle, has a 200 yard zero with holdovers for 3, 4,&500 yards using the 120 grainers at 2900 fps...it is perfectly capabale of keeping them in an 8" pie plate at 500.

Tis' a great rifle but to maximize its awesomeness a 24"-26" barrel with handloads will make it an even better long ranger.

Best of luck, the 25-06 is a sweet shooter.

My preference is anything equal to or larger than a 243 win. I use a 270 when I hunt deer with a rifle. My first rifle was a 243. It worked but the 270 always worked better. So calibers like 243, 257, 25-06, 30-30, 308, 30-06 are just fine. Some people use 223's. I am not a supporter of that choice.

Thanks for the input fellas. MD regs is .243 or above. I will prob. be shooting from no more than 150 yards away in light to medium eastern woodlands/swamps( hence me saying the .30-30 I have is probably enough) I just like the flat shooting characteristics of the .25-06. Eventually, I plan on getting a Dillion press, and reloading as well.

150 yds is probably stretching it a bit with the 30-30. My experience is that most shots are under 75 yds in the east and taking cross valley woods shots is not generally a good idea in the mountains unless the deer is already wounded. Then it is a matter of being safe. But you're good to go with the 30-30 win.

I also like the flat shooting characteristics of the 25-06 and the recoil isn't bad. Things like 300 win mags are not necessary, but if that was all I had, I'd use it.

Yes, I shoot a remington 700 deluxe bdl 25/06 with a Redfield scope. Picked it up in a pawnshop for 300.00 and I love it. I shoot 75 grain Hornady v max bullets, buddy gave me a couple hundred rounds of loaded shells. Most people say they are too light but they are Hell on coyotes and deer. My longest shot was 250 yards with a nice fat doe. I shoot it a lot and am confident in what it can do. I've spent a lot of time at the range and it really is a flat shooting rifle.

I've seen Elk taken with the 25-06, with the right bullet it is sufficient for anything in the lower 48. It really shines when used in open fields for Whitetails. I would run a tough bullet hunting short range ( Partition, Triple shock, Accubond, Bear Claw, A-frame) go heavy, 117gr+ projectile. The 25 is fast enough it tends to blow up softer bullets on impact causing some excessive meat damage and leading. It will serve you well.

Pretty much anything a .270 can do, the 25-06 can do and with less recoil. It would be a fine choice.

Outstanding deer rifle. Used to be very common around here until the move for larger and magnums began (resulting in lots of destroyed meat btw, I don't get the mag and ultramag desire for deer).

Probably what I would use if I started hunting again unless o was making the occasional elk trip and could only afford one rifle.

Yes, it's a great deer caliber and very flat shooting. Taken several deer and hogs with that round with a Tikka T3 Hunter.

Deer, coyote, and antelope. I like it better than the 257 Wby. Now days I use an old 257 Roberts. 120's for deer. 85-90 gr for coyote.

The .25-06 is a great round, and very effective on deer. However, in my experience, the round is not as readily available (retail) as other excellent choices like the .270 Win. During the last several months of "ammo shortages", the .270 Win. And 30-06 seemed to remain on the shelves throughout..., at least in the southeastern US. Just something to consider. That may not be an issue in MD. Good hunting.

Rifle calibers tend to be kind of trendy. The ammo availability thing thing would be a consideration if I were buying new again. My Remington 700 BDL in 270 win has been a consistent performer and a caliber with enough power to handle a range of game animals in the US. I have a small pile of factory 270 ammo in my ammo cabinet. Don't shoot it much other than before hunting season and during the season (seldom a full box in a season). I simply don't enjoy being pounded (recoil-wise) by a rifle if I don't need to be. It just isn't fun and that makes the 25-06 a practical choice for a range of terrain or hunting situations. Never was one to want more than one deer even though these days you can take more in some states (including mine). In the last 10 years, it has mostly been handgun deer hunting for me and the 270 stays at home unless I haven't shot enough to feel confident with my shooting abilities, then I would grab the 270 rifle or don't go at all.

Okay, enough arm twisting already! I'll get one! Haha, ah the joys of being single. I appreciate all the input. I think this is going to be an ideal caliber choice for me, as there are some open corn fields in the area we will be hunting, as well as close in forests/swamps. I like the versatility this caliber can provide, especially if I ever make it out west.

Now you have to choose which rifle. :D Yes to the joys of being single. Also, yes to having friends who hunt. I do not have any hunting buddies anymore locally and that is half the reason for making all the effort to go deer hunting. You know.... freezing your butt off; sitting in the pouring rain; getting up at 3:30AM to go hunting; getting permission or paying for a lease at reasonably good hunting land; skinning and meat processing, etc. My wife doesn't even like the meat and I developed the tick based red-meat allergy and we end up giving most of it away.

The 2506 is more than you need for whitetail, losing energy as the bullet passes thru. Never an exit with the .243 ballistic tip. It is also considered a "high energy" cartridge. 2506 is a .25 caliber 270.

Both are necked down 30-06 casings with a smaller bullet diameter. It probably IS more power than you NEED for whitetail deer. But you can say the same thing for the 270 win which I swear by. From my point of view, you NEED a 243/6mm or larger. It is just one more variable that you have more control of.

I have used a 25-06 with excellent results here in Arizona. I harvested a prong horn last year and took 2 elk as a child with mine. Mine is a old barreled pre-64 Model 70. Use it on coyotes and prairie dogs with 75gr varmint bullets up to elk with 100gr Barnes bullets up to 250m. Truly a great cartridge and excellent here in Arizona if you want minimum hold overs and is an awesome cartridge to hunt with younger ones or the recoil sensitive. For the record after tracking an elk for the better part of a night I don't prefer it for elk anymore and use a 30-06 loaded with 180gr loads. If you handload and want me to share any of my info please let me know.

Back