Anyone else concerned?

Ok Sal:

I just tried again to post the thread again -- TWICE -- and got this flag each time: "This message appears to be spam." This is the same flag I got before plus messages to the effect that I was trying to post too often in too short of time.

Was going to give up after that but tried again once more and got the msg that it had been submitted but had to be "moderated" before going public

Don't know who does the "moderating" but you should probably give them a heads up about the post and that you authorized it. My user name there is the same as it is here.

Was going to post a link to that thread here but obviously can't do that yet. I'll be interested to see your comments and those of others as soon as it's approved for publication there but, given the difficulties I've had trying to post a thread, I don't plan to try to post any comments there.

If necessary, I'll do that here.

Last edited:
From Europe as well.....frustrating to see small batch exclusives from USA based knife retailers as well. Pretty unobtainable here in Europe. Would like to see the return of the past in new models and designs instead of the "safer" let's do another exotic bladesteel and handle colour rehash of the PM or Para 3. I don't mind VG10 or S30V they all work for me, i wear a Spyderco 24/7 but really cutting stuff is less than 1% (plastic wrappers and shipping boxes mostly). Due to the Quality of VG10 it takes months/ years before i have to sharpen my knives so going for a new expensive bladesteel because it will increase my blade life with 17% is a non issue for me. I rather have new designs because handling and carrying is done way more then using it as a cutting tool. But as a return on investment i understand that filling the extruder with a different shade of frn pellets is cheaper then designing a brand new bladeshape
or when you can just send a few plates of supersteel and use the CAD drawings of the PM for your lasercutter....but for me that's not what Spyderco stands/stood for. I'm looking around for new knife designers as well. I used to almost feel guilty when i bought a non spyderco knife but it seems my loyalty has deminished in the last years because it feels like Spyderco doesn't want to take risks anymore and management has fallen for lean and mean manufacturing and looks for maximum profit instead of beeing different and cutting edge.
Maybe they had a a change in management, i don't know, maybe Eric has different views on the future of Spyderco? Something changed imho that's for shure.

I Insta9ves, Kreole,

I'm after more input. Especially from those familiar and interested in our company and knives. Sgt. brought up an interesting question that I believe needs more exploration from my point of view. I'm not going to get a knowledgeable opinion from the "average Joe" that never heard of Spyderco.

Knife afi's that are not interested in different steels, for example, do not consider working with a new steel "new" or "innovative". Folks new to knives are making selections by "eye", so steels, ergos, exotic materials or history are of little interest. A balance must be achieved and that is best done with more information, at least for me.

sal

I just swapped tabs over to Spyderco and the thread is live and up to a couple pages.

I just swapped tabs over to Spyderco and the thread is live and up to a couple pages.

That was quick. I always helps to have "connections."

So, here's the link to the thread in the Spyderco Forum: Anyone else concerned?

Comments seem very well considered/thought out so far.

Hope I didn't mess it up.

Edited the text there to re-embed a link back to here but then got another message that said that the thread couldn't be publicly viewed until it got "approved" again.

Just too many control filters on the Spyderco Forum to suit me.

So, I'll keep an eye on it but I don't plan to add any further comments of my own.

Last edited:
Interesting question, I’ve been a huge Spyderco fan early on. I’ve amassed a fairly large collection though really since the Military craze; I have lost much of my passion. Please don’t get me wrong, I think that the Military, Paramilitary, and the Para 3 are great knives. Just not for me.

I started collecting Spydercos for their oddity. From the Worker, all the Q’s, the R, to the Meerkat they hooked me good. Then the ethnic series with the Persians, Kris, Ayoob, and others I was in deep. All the Natives still interest me and I’ve collected most. The Mules are great for getting to play with exotic steels. Any and all of the small knives leapt into my collection too.

My preferences run to 3 inch or less in blade length. Most of what I see seems to be coming out these days are either larger than I like or of the Military persuasion. It could be that my tastes have changed and knives have become less a part of my life, though even today I’m gifting a Native to another friend that has shown an interest in knives. This will be the fifth Native gifted this year and the second of the week, because to me this is a great entry level quality Spyderco knife. That it is made in Golden Colorado is a plus too since non knife people in the U.S. unknowingly and wrongly dismiss knives made elsewhere. Just yesterday I sent my brother to the Outlet for knives and he and his wife brought home 4 Dragonflys and some chef knives for Christmas presents.

To me Spyderco has to walk a fine line. They’ve always been known for inventiveness and progress, though must too meet a bottom line. The way I see sales of the Military line increase with high end steels and scale offerings so many clamor for, as a business that’s what I’d be offering. The companies that now offer specialty Spyderco’s via exclusives have become such sought after items, others are copying their success. Anyone that’s been around for a while can attest, many of the oddities so many of us enjoy end up not selling well and are soon discontinued.

I still visit both the Spyderco forum and the Blades forum daily, search Ebay and the folder sales on Bladesforum often too, though seldom buy anymore. I’ve sold some of my collection, wondering how a few knives morphed into hundreds and kick myself at times for the obsession. When selling, once I handle a knife again for pictures and write-up the love comes back and pre-sellers remorse raises its ugly head and many times the knife goes back into storage.

I sure don’t have answers. I really enjoy the community of the forums and I’ll continue to prowl the sites. I’m thankful that I found a company that makes something that I like and that they do it very well.

I'm posting on both forums and glad that the question was asked and that Sal and Company are involved. Dan

That was quick. I always helps to have "connections."

So, here's the link to the thread in the Spyderco Forum: Anyone else concerned?

Comments seem very well considered/thought out so far.

Hope I didn't mess it up.

Edited the text there to re-embed a link back to here but then got another message that said that the thread couldn't be publicly viewed until it got "approved" again.

Just too many control filters on the Spyderco Forum to suit me.

So, I'll keep an eye on it but I don't plan to add any further comments of my own.

Your first few posts are checked by a moderator (Kristi I'm sure) before you are given free reign over there. It's to combat spam bots, and works very well because there is never any posts trying to sell nikes or whatever else the spam bots try to sell.

Imo it's a small price to pay to have a clean and well running forum that is free to use. And of course, Sal is there and that's reason enough imo!

Your first few posts are checked by a moderator (Kristi I'm sure) before you are given free reign over there. It's to combat spam bots, and works very well because there is never any posts trying to sell nikes or whatever else the spam bots try to sell.

Imo it's a small price to pay to have a clean and well running forum that is free to use. And of course, Sal is there and that's reason enough imo!

Just received a PM from Kristi to say that I was now "cleared" to post freely on the Spyderco Forum.

I fully understand the need for forum controls and speculated that the reason my attempts at creating the thread there were flagged was because I had never posted anything there before.

However, I think you (and others) should be able to understand my frustration, given that Sal personally requested that I create the thread there, after I was repeatedly blocked from being able to do so because of the autobot security controls on that forum.

In hindsight, the better approach would have been to ask Sal to have Kristi clear me "in advance" to post the thread but that's no longer of any relevance.

BTW, while I have been a "member" there for over 2 yrs and have viewed threads/msgs there for information purposes, I never found a need/reason to post any msgs there myself in the past nor am I likely to do so in the future, because I get all of the Spyderco info and interaction w/Spyderco fans that I need here on BF.

Last edited:
Nah. In house designs like the PM2, Manix 2, Military, Native, Shaman, Stretch, Endura, Delica and Endela are, IMO, their best work and I don't think knives like that are in any danger of going away. I haven't bought many Spydies recently, but that's largely because I've gotten more interested in autos and I'm patiently waiting to snag a full SE Autonomy 2.

Hi Sgt,

Thanx much for accommodating me. Appreciate! I would also request that you visit, and even post there? I hear you saying that you get what information you need on this great forum. I was thinking more that you are quite knowledgeable in the world of knives, and would be able to share you knowledge and contribute for others. Besides, "You don't know what you don't know".

sal

========================================================================

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind".

.... Maybe because Eric has a different view about the company and the direction then Sal? Sal already said once that Spyderco was bigger then he wanted. Spyderco used to be hardcore working knives for professionals and now it looks like it turned into a fashion brand. I see the same thing with g-shock....

Perhaps it does come down to the difference between the two. If Irecall, Sal got into knives only after he got into sharpeners. If working men needed their knives sharpened, perhaps working men needed quality sharp knives. On the other hand, I believe Eric's background is design/art - so I expect that colors, textures, unique lines, etc. really get him going (hello dog knife???). The market may be to blame too: America's blue collar sector isn't exactly booming - and subburban areas are still growing.

For those of you who haven't ventured over to the Spyderco Forum to read the comments in the thread that I started there, following below is the comment that Sal posted over there but did not post here.

--------------------------------------

by sal » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:27 am

I really appreciate all of the comments and I appreciate the OP for re-posting it here.

Spyderco has evolved over a 40+ year period. As we evolved, we found that our market was changing and growing in a variety of areas. We have to balance some pretty diverse groups and that balance is always changing. Especially as new markets emerge. Suddenly we have a collector market. Suddenly we have a variety of collector markets. Suddenly we have Steel Junky's, Exclusives, Sprints, add capacity issues with most of our factories and partners.

We also have to plan for the future; how do we serve these markets? How do we deal with the higher costs without running to China? How many "new" models do we want to gamble with? Knowing that some will not last and we might not even recoup our tooling? rankly, it is a "puzzlement" that we are always juggling. That's why I wanted and appreciate a larger group of responses.

Most of the innovations are born in-house. Models like the Shaman took years to develop, and the two other variations are still waiting for a production slot. Shamans, "Roadies", Slipits take time to get them right enough to put into production. Even now, we have a number of new innovations that have been in development for years.

Threads like this one give us good input to think of while going forward.

sal

Hi Toomany,

I think Eric is closer to me in design and values. I believe the market shifted with a strong demand. We're trying ti meet the demand from a variety of markets (workers and collectors) and even they vary quite a bit. 'Tis a challenge, which is why I appreciate threads like this one.

Thanx for the last post Sgt. Appreciate.

sal

Hi Sgt,

Thanx much for accommodating me. Appreciate! I would also request that you visit, and even post there? I hear you saying that you get what information you need on this great forum. I was thinking more that you are quite knowledgeable in the world of knives, and would be able to share you knowledge and contribute for others. Besides, "You don't know what you don't know".

sal

Thanks for the "invite" Sal but you have more than enough knife "experts" on the Spyderco Forum and there's not much, if anything, that I could add to their contributions.

Additionally, while Spyderco knives currently represent a largest proportion of my knife collection at almost 50%, my interest in knives is not limited to a single brand or type of knife and there's little enough time for me to read and share my thoughts in those areas that interest me most here on Blade Forums, not to mention the other knife and various car and firearms forums that I also frequent.

But, you can rest assured that I'll continue to drop in from time to time to gather info and see what's going on there.

Last edited:
Thanx Sgt. I understand. I have similar interests. (Knives, guns, cars, etc). Hard to keep up these days.

sal

Thanks Sal, i personally am a user ( carrier more then a cutter) who in the course of 30+ years amased over
50+ spyderco knives. I understand your problem trying to balance between changing markets. I don't "collect" , if i buy a knife it's main purpose is to use it. So i throw away the boxes. Most of my knives are dumped in a big plastic knife box ( apparently some, now, expensive ones) and i tend to carry what i find on my nightstand. No sock drawers, no custom foamy carry cases, just a bunch of knives and once in a while i'll go to the box and i'll grab the one i want to use ( and lies in top of the heap) ! I use them around the house and as a carry piece. I don't really care or need a supersteel. I just need steel that takes and holds a good edge and, more importantly, i can sharpen myself on my sharpmaker and strop. And i like subdued handle colours ( the reason why i never bought a pacific) because i don't want to draw attention to me carrying a knife here.

I vote for this next.

IMG_0484.JPG

Back