Anyone ever stropped a cartridge (disposable) razor blade?

I use the fusion by gillette and damn these things aren't cheap. I normally shave (face only) 5-6 time/week. I would say on average that a blade would last me about a dozen uses. So a few weeks I decided to try and strop one of these and it actually worked. I used the white compound on fine leather and then just plain fine leather and it actually worked lol. If anyone has any experience with this and has any tips to offer, much appreciated.

Chris

I'd suggest switching to DE shaving and never looking back. I've been DE shaving for 4 and a half years and there's no way I'd ever consider switching back to cartridges. It's cheaper, you get a better shave, and there are way more choices for razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, etc.

I agree with Fanglekai. Used to use Schick and I'd always have razor burn and cuts and then there's the cost. Switched to a DE safety razor about 4 years ago and love it. Just ordered a 100 pack of good razors for about $15.

Pardon my ignorance, but DE razor? I googled it and got a brand, is that what you guys are talking about? Or is it an acronym for something else?

Just avoid the Feathers during your wet shaving probationary period and you'll love it. ;)

You can just it on some jeans. I started doing this around the beginning of the year and have used the same fusion razor all year! I also had semsitive, razor-burn prone skin and its worked great for me and probably saved me over a hundred bucks.

Pardon my ignorance, but DE razor? I googled it and got a brand, is that what you guys are talking about? Or is it an acronym for something else?

Double edge razor. You can learn more than you'd ever want to about wet shaving with double edge razors on badgerandblade.com. It's a forum dedicated to the art of wet shaving.

I've been stropping Double Edge blades for 6 mos. and have gotten 40 shaves from one blade. I'm working on the 2nd blade and I'm at 32 nice close shaves on it. On cartridge blades you can only strop one side whereas on DE blades you can strop both sides of the bevel. I don't use leather or slurry, I merely strop on newspaper. In my experience this takes it a step sharper than leather. DM

After one shave with a Persona blade which wasn't bad. I went straight to the Feather blades and have been using them since. No problems. There are some that come out of the package not as sharp as others but nothing some stropping won't fix. DM

I have stropped a Bic cartridge razor on denim and this did improved it some. Because of the housing I don't think stropping improves them as much as stropping a DE blade. DM

I switched from Gillette Sensor years ago. Kick the cans... and the cartridges too.

Gillette cartridges cost upwards of a dollar per shave. DE blades are just a few pennies per shave. The savings pays for the razor and brush in a matter of months.

Go to westcoastshaving.com and get a Merkur Futur razor and a nice brush, some good soap and a blade assortment. You will get better shaves for a fraction of the cost.

Love my Merkur Futur!

IMG_3118_TrumpersRazor_zpsd7273585.jpg

I've never tired stropping a razor cartridge. But my wife has a razor comb she uses to cut her hair, and I did sharpen that sucker up with my stops and it works better then ever.

I have really heavy thick coarse facial hair and currently I use a two blade disposable razor. I try and shave about 3-4 times a week but sometimes it's just on Sundays. About 3 years ago I bought a 50 pack of the 2 blade razors from costco and I haven't run out! :(
I'd really like to start using a DE razor, but as long as I have these dumb 2 blade razors I can't really justify the switch. I do however use coconut soap to lather with, which is great, I'll never go back to the can. I tried the brush and it didn't seem to make a difference. So I just use my hands now. The shave I get (even with the cheap two blade razors) is great. I also use an after shave lotion made by Nivea (SP?) and I don't tend to get ingrown hairs and razor burn like I used to (when using lectric shave).
I'm pretty happy, but I think I'd be even happier if I used a single razor blade. I do still get pretty bad razor burn if I don't use the lotion, so I know I'm doing something wrong (or my face sucks) but for now I can't just throw out all my razors and switch. Hopefully I'll be able to in the next few years....

Another thing, I read an article about cold shaving a couple of weeks ago and I tried it. It works great! My face doesn't burn after my shave and I have no irritation all day long. Even with a 4 day beard! It's truly amazing. It is a little harder to get a good lather up, but it doesn't seem to matter much. For instance, yesterday I didn't get to take a hot shower before my shave, but I went ahead with the cold shave anyway, I had a 4 day beard. And even with the cold shave, sort of dry lather, long beard and a two blade disposable I still got a nice clean shave with no irritation. We will see how I feel about it this winter though. Cold showers and cold shaving are great in the summer, but when it's 5 degrees outside I don't know how much I'll like it.

I've never tired stropping a razor cartridge. But my wife has a razor comb she uses to cut her hair, and I did sharpen that sucker up with my stops and it works better then ever.

I have really heavy thick coarse facial hair and currently I use a two blade disposable razor. I try and shave about 3-4 times a week but sometimes it's just on Sundays. About 3 years ago I bought a 50 pack of the 2 blade razors from costco and I haven't run out! :(
I'd really like to start using a DE razor, but as long as I have these dumb 2 blade razors I can't really justify the switch. I do however use coconut soap to lather with, which is great, I'll never go back to the can. I tried the brush and it didn't seem to make a difference. So I just use my hands now. The shave I get (even with the cheap two blade razors) is great. I also use an after shave lotion made by Nivea (SP?) and I don't tend to get ingrown hairs and razor burn like I used to (when using lectric shave).
I'm pretty happy, but I think I'd be even happier if I used a single razor blade. I do still get pretty bad razor burn if I don't use the lotion, so I know I'm doing something wrong (or my face sucks) but for now I can't just throw out all my razors and switch. Hopefully I'll be able to in the next few years....

Another thing, I read an article about cold shaving a couple of weeks ago and I tried it. It works great! My face doesn't burn after my shave and I have no irritation all day long. Even with a 4 day beard! It's truly amazing. It is a little harder to get a good lather up, but it doesn't seem to matter much. For instance, yesterday I didn't get to take a hot shower before my shave, but I went ahead with the cold shave anyway, I had a 4 day beard. And even with the cold shave, sort of dry lather, long beard and a two blade disposable I still got a nice clean shave with no irritation. We will see how I feel about it this winter though. Cold showers and cold shaving are great in the summer, but when it's 5 degrees outside I don't know how much I'll like it.

The simple 2 bladed razor is much better than the gazillion bladed offerings of today, but a single bladed razor is still tops in my books. I have been shaving just long enough to have started with a Gillette Trac II, but not long after that I started getting the latest and greatest offering every time for Christmas. When I switched over to DE, I realized that the big companies were going backwards in shave quality rather than forwards:(

Take the bag of twin blade razors and use them for hunting trips or travel. If you loose one it wont break your heart, but get a nice DE/SE/Straight for home use, you face will love you for it:p

I thought we were talking about stropping razor blades here. Not which blade offers the better shave.? DM

Hehe seems we did get a little off topic.. However, I'm because I am going to try out a D/E razor with some soap.

Chances are you will love it:thumbup: Then add in that you can get 100 blades for about the cost of a couple packages of cartridges, and get 4-6 good shaves per blade without stropping them you would have a years worth of blades if you shaved every day:eek:

Yeah, maybe I should just save the disposables for travel. Not that I travel much. I think I'll check around the forum for DE advice. Thanks.

Anyway. To stay on topic. I don't see any reason why you can't sharpen a razor blade, no matter how cheap it is.

Back