Anyone ever tried to stencil on a design?

I went on hobby lobbys web site and tried using the 40% coupon on the cameo and it says it doesn't apply towards that.

just think of it this way.. for the price of a decent blade... you'll be able to cut stencils, cut stickers, glass etch with stencils, draw high res vectors with a pen instead of using vinyl (which means you can still use the stencils like you do now except can reprint unlimited times), print out consistent templates for cutting leather / kydex etc, hell I even cut out templates for boxes on thicker stock paper (it does perforations too) for putting all my small parts in. it's worth double the price for all the things I use it for.

as far as my vinyl stencil experiment.. I am trying to figure out how to color the lettering w/out bleeding. I think natural will get boring after a while but think I can get away with printing another stencil and re-laying the negative on top of the piece and just dye in reverse. Since I resolened the colored area..it should help with the bleed. Maybe even print in a slightly smaller font so there is border..

Last edited:
Can't you dye the whole area with whatever color, then use the stencil with a darker color?

don't see why not.. I only starting getting into leather work so most of my (4) colors are dark. However I did accidentally dip a dauber of mahogany into dark brown while experimenting with thinning with denatured alcohol and it made a real pretty shade of light reddish brown.

don't see why not.. I only starting getting into leather work so most of my (4) colors are dark. However I did accidentally dip a dauber of mahogany into dark brown while experimenting with thinning with denatured alcohol and it made a real pretty shade of light reddish brown.

Yes, it seems that some of the brown dyes are red based, or at least appear red when thinned. I've been playing with thinning too and found the same.

If you are planning on trying out some colors, red Fiebings Pro Oil is very nice and goes on more evenly than any other dye I've used. Kelly Green is very nice, but a tad more splotchy and yellow is lousy, at least with the limited messing around I've done with it. Seems to do next to nothing.

I have yet to try any shade of blue, but look forward to it.

I've got 5 airbrushes, guess its time I use them to their full extent. ;) Its not going to be on leather though.

Canvas, paper, board, etc. You can get some nifty background effects with masks then paint or draw over that.

Art Classes start today so I'll be away from the forum!

Ah, yes, I remember you mentioning the classes here, or in your forum. Congrats on that btw. I'm sure it'll be great fun. And don't worry, I'll hold the fort down while you're gone.

(Shhh, guys, it's party time!) :D

Oh man! That was exhausting, and not because of the students, because of my anxiety hoping that I was going to do a good job. sheesh, it was so much fun! But I think they were expecting to dive right in with drawing, not on the first day! :p

That's awesome man. I'd definitely have some jitters too. I think it's a creative person thing to self doubt. Gets better with time at least. :)

here's a couple of stencils I'm working on. should be good ones to test dye bleed.

P8200502.jpg

Oh yeah, I like those. Especially the Koi fish. Pretty large, but all the fine lines should show you what works well I'd guess.

I have some Alpinestar MotoGP style race gloves. They have the outlines of all the circuits printed in red on the black leather. I wonder how they do it. Obviously it's nothing like dye or probably anything we're likely to get a hold of, but being able to print like that would be really cool.

I have some Alpinestar MotoGP style race gloves. They have the outlines of all the circuits printed in red on the black leather. I wonder how they do it. Obviously it's nothing like dye or probably anything we're likely to get a hold of, but being able to print like that would be really cool.

you happen to have a picture of it? sounds pretty interesting.

here is the first attempt. some bleed.. the stains around the mouth area is from hastily pulling the vinyl while dye was still on the surface. (I am gonna wipe it down next time) The lines look pretty sharp otherwise. the piece pictured is about 2.5"x2.5" roughly. I may try dyeing multiple colors by using a small brush. It might turn out to be a cool effect. I bet acrylic based dye would probably work better

P8210504.jpg

Acrylic dye? Do you mean paint? If so, it's pretty thick. Might work great. I'll dig up a pic of the gloves.

Edit-

2014_alpinestars_glove_gp_pro_black_red__30423.1408008041.1280.1280.jpg

I had to get out of tapatalk (forum app for phones) to see your latest pic. That looks stellar! Really cool. :thumbup: I'm jealous.

Last edited:
fwiw.. revisited the stencil route.. this time dyed first then used acrylic paint for the stencil. Worked much better in keeping sharp lines.

Here is an example...

P1290520.jpg

Dang man, that's pretty slick. Seriously, that looks stellar.

Funny, the thread with the snakeskin kydex had me thinking about this thread earlier. Maybe the heavens are trying to tell me something... :)

Back