Anyone familure with a Blitz press?

I found a 35 ton Blitz press fairly close to where I live for real cheap. It is not hydrolic but has a flywheel and motor similar to a trip hammer. Thats all I know about it except that it is pretty big and heavy. It comes from a tool and die maker and is used to pumch and stamp out parts. I'm looking at it for making damascus.
Anybody out there know about these machines, and weather it would be good for damascus? Any info would be helpful.
Thanks ,
Ed

Ed: Do you have a pic of it??? Where have you been hideing??? Every get that knife done you started at the last hammer-in???

Hey George. I tried to make two small blades out of that cable. The first I screwed up and it started getting quite thin so I put it down for awhile. I havent started on the other half of it yet.
Got busy with work, then went to the ABS intro to bladesmithing class. Big fun! Two weeks of hammering for 8 hours a day. Bliss!!!Forged 14 blades and finished two.
Even talked Burce Fuller (our 2nd week instructor, and all round great guy) into helping us make some damascus the last day. We all got some to take home. I got all kinds of stuff to finish now, just not enough time to do it...:-(
The good thing is I'm in no hurry. :)
I got a digital camera on vacation so when I get that cable piece done, i'll send you a pic. I may even have to try and figure out how to post pics here now that I have the equipment.
Ed

Ed: Sounds great. Are you planning to on coming down for the next Hammer-in??? End of Aug. or beginning of Sept. Have you used that black palm that I gave you???

If it is what I am thinking of it is probably an OBI press. I looked at those before I found my power hammer. The big draw back is the really short stroke they typically have. Usually they only have about a one inch stroke.

Plus, I am not sure how it would work if you were to get into a situation where the press "bottoms out" and locks up if you ever exceed the tonnage that it can stroke thru (if that makes any sense). I suppose you could make some sort of spring loaded die for it to keep that from happening.

I am interested to see what the others think and if you can get it to work. There are alot of those small OBI presses out there for good prices.

This is what I am thinking about, are we on the same page?

425620.jpg

Hi happycat,

I'm familiar with Bliss presses as I work for a company that does a lot of stamping. I'm not sure how effective (or safe) if would be to use that type of press for forging. Those presses are REALLY dangerous even when used for their intended purpose.

The big problem with a mechanical type, full revolotion press is that once it's tripped there's no going back. It will either make a full revolution or lock up at the bottom. The problem is compounded by the fact that there is no room for varation of parts thickness at the bottom of the stroke. A few thousanths of an inch can mean the difference between making a complete revolution, lock-ing the press down, or (worse yet) ejecting shrapnel out towards the operator at Mach 2. If you do manage to lock the press down, sometimes you can get lucky and unstick it my reversing the leads on the motor. More often that not it will require a hydraulic jack, overhead hoist, or lift truck. I have even seen situations where the ram screw had to be cut with a torch to free the press up.

If you found a press with enough stroke, you might be able to devise a weigh on a slip shaft so it would operator similar to the little giant power hammers. This way it couldn't bottom out and cause all the problem mentioned above.

Another thing to think about is that those presses are notorious for "phantom" tripping when there really old and worn. That's not a good thing for something that you're going to be sticking your hands under. You might consider trying to locate a set of mechanical "pullbacks" to make sure your hands are out of the way.

Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions. If I don't have the answer I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Take care and good luck,
Cecil

Cecil thanks for the input. You said basically the same thing the Guru over at Anvilfire.com said. I think I'll take the better part of valor (retreat) and pass on this machine. If i was a tool and die maker or engineer I might be able to devise some way to make it work, but I'm a social worker who bangs on steel on the weekends. I'd end up seriously hurt I'm sure. I'll continue saving up for a little giant.

George, haven't used the palm yet. I'm holding out till I get something made out of that cable. I'd love to hear more about the next hammer in what weekend are you thinking about?
ed

Back