Anyone fancy a Harpoon/Gig ?

I keep thinking that a Harpoon/Gig type tool would make a cool addition to my PSK. I wondered how the TOPS version could be improved on and thought that having one with a smaller gig upfront for frogs etc and then a main harpoon at the back for larger prey might be cool.
I did this rough one below to show you the kinda thing I was thinking about, you could also choke up with the finger section enabling you to use the blade with more control.
I'm sure I will change this drawing but thought it would give you a rough idea !
Anyone else have any other thoughts as to how they think one should be ?

design040.jpg

I think the attachment point should be a little bigger just to provide more support. But other than that it looks pretty sweet.

Holy Smokes!! Lookit that straight line!!
Somebody bought hisself a ruler!!
(Nice design, looks like you put a lot of thought and experience into it)

Dave

I think the attachment point should be a little bigger just to provide more support. But other than that it looks pretty sweet.

I don't follow ya buddy ? The Gig would be fastened all along it's length to the pole !

I mean the little back end with the hole in it. Maybe a bit longer, I imagine myself putting that into a notch I cut out and then wrapping, so having a bit more would make it hold really well. I don;t know maybe that doesn't make sense, it looks sweet either way! :thumbup:

I have been thinking about the same thing for a few weeks but I'm not sure how to improve the TOPS version. I would be interested in one if John made it.

I keep thinking that a Harpoon/Gig type tool would make a cool addition to my PSK. I wondered how the TOPS version could be improved on and thought that having one with a smaller gig upfront for frogs etc and then a main harpoon at the back for larger prey might be cool.
I did this rough one below to show you the kinda thing I was thinking about, you could also choke up with the finger section enabling you to use the blade with more control.
I'm sure I will change this drawing but thought it would give you a rough idea !
Anyone else have any other thoughts as to how they think one should be ?

design040.jpg

Let`s see some specs ;)

Looks alot like the one that comes with an Aitor Jungle King knife.
How cool would it be to have a spear head that stores in a SAK?

I like it, id pay to have something like that made up. Im looking forward to seeing it with specs Pit. Keep the ideas and drawings coming. Thanks

Mike

What about a bigger loop (pinky ring) at the end so you could put your pinky in it when using it as a knife? It could double as a bird and trout/ skinner.

What about a bigger loop (pinky ring) at the end so you could put your pinky in it when using it as a knife? It could double as a bird and trout/ skinner.

I like this idea. It would even have to be a full loop. Just half would work. Like..... --------) :thumbup:

I assuming that you attach it to a stick? Doesnt look very easy to attach it to one.

You could sharpen the inside edge of the top point as well and it would double as a gut hook.

I did think about that kind of thing but John has to cut his knives out by hand and doesn't have a water jet cutter. On a forged knife it would be easier as well but to make it using stock removal might prove tricky and time consuming. Time spent equates to cost !

I did think about that kind of thing but John has to cut his knives out by hand and doesn't have a water jet cutter. On a forged knife it would be easier as well but to make it using stock removal might prove tricky and time consuming. Time spent equates to cost !

Would still be cool to see one like that, whether it gets made or not. :D :thumbup:

I love this idea. I remember seeing these in the W&SS forum so i looked and got a few links to old threads about a guy making them. I would deffinatly buy one if it came with a K on it. :)

The last link is the one that Dave Canterberry has on his EDC, He has the Wilderness Outfitters Youtube channel.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649916&highlight=harpoon

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662485&highlight=spear&page=2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667868

Hope its alright that i posted these links here John, if not delete them or tell me too. Thanks

Well not tricky or time consuming, just would take more of the stock material. Just drill a bigger hole than the one you already have there. Same tools.

Back