Anyone got a Ranch Boss?

The Ranch Boss appears to be the epitome of high-end slipjoints. I like a good slipjoint, and I need a few more knives that aren't scary or threatening because Canada. Thing is, before I drop 300 of my sticky, syrup-covered plastic dollars on one, I'd really like to hear from others with experience.

Last edited:
Great knife but some production quality issues. I bought three before I got one that was acceptable. Sent it to Indiana for pro sharpening to ApostleP Knife Sharpening Service (Rob Bixby) and he also did a YouTube review on it. Search for ApostleP on YouTube to view.

22566f3af9e72b43bd0aa868789094a8.jpg

Here's a photo of mine.

Wow, that's purdy.

I think production quality issues are unacceptable at the price point, and one would assume that such a limited run would involve a high degree of attention to detail.

I'm definitely not deterred, however.

Wow, that's purdy.

I think production quality issues are unacceptable at the price point, and one would assume that such a limited run would involve a high degree of attention to detail.

I'm definitely not deterred, however.

I have a strong suspicion that they're using Queen as their OEM and, while they seem to make some very nice knives, I've definitely heard of QC and F&F issues from them. I believe they were also the OEM for the Northwoods knives in CPM154 and those have veered between excellent and terrible.

Whoever's making them has some 'splaining to do. There's a review on amazon that talks about loose blades, gaps galore, etc. That shouldn't be happening on a knife that's going for $180-200. CS needs to jump on the maker and see that they up their game. :(

I handled three at a local knife shop and they all had really weak springs. The pull was effortless. They had them for half off and I still didn't buy one. With that being said they are good looking and interesting knives.

Just watched ApostleP's video on the Ranch Boss.

I'm very disappointed and with all of the experience I have owning, carrying and using their products, I expect better from Cold Steel. At $350 MSRP, I expect nothing short of absolute perfection. A limited run of 600 pieces, no less!

The part that irritates me the most is the way this knife is advertised.

Cold Steel said:
We are proud to announce what we feel is destined to be the world's premiere production Stockman Knife - our Collector's Edition 2015 Ranch Boss!
Limited to 600 unique pieces, the Ranch Boss echoes elements of the classic lines and elegant design of our long-discontinued and much admired Country Classics series, but newly upgraded with some of the highest quality materials in the industry today.
100% USA made, the Ranch Boss features three strong, sharp and durable hand-ground and satin polished CPM-S35VN Steel blades - Classic Clip Point, Sheep's Foot and Spey Blades - authentic Amber Bone Stag Scales and all nickel silver bolsters, liners and pins.
This upgrade to superior high-end materials ensures cutting capabilities rarely seen in even the most expensive custom knives, and the edge on this truly beautiful traditionally styled working man's knife has the potential to last a lifetime without re-sharpening!
A highly collectible knife that would make a wonderful gift and keepsake as well as a treasured heirloom to pass on to future generations.

:foot:

I think I'll just buy a Lucky instead. If it's made in Taiwanese factory CS contracts, I can be 100% confident in its quality and value.

says XHP here, dude. http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...ade-gentlemans-pen-knife-carbon-fiber-handles

Thought remember seeing that it was S35VN at one point. Was it changed? If so, when? Why?

EDIT: Seems I have it backwards as revealed by one of the reviews. XHP ---> VN. If so, why KC still have it as XHP?

I think Cold Steel shipped some CTS-XHP models out before quickly changing the steel to S35VN. I'll wait for one of the latter models, as while I have no experience with it, it is often lauded as the "best steel ever".

I think Cold Steel shipped some CTS-XHP models out before quickly changing the steel to S35VN. I'll wait for one of the latter models, as while I have no experience with it, it is often lauded as the "best steel ever".

I honestly think S35VN and XHP are pretty indistinguishable in actual use, but they're two of my favorites either way. But yeah, after reading about the issues plaguing the Ranch Boss I wouldn't spring for one. I'm honestly hoping for more like the Lucky, well made blends of traditional and modern with solid materials that don't break the bank.

says XHP here, dude. http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...ade-gentlemans-pen-knife-carbon-fiber-handles

Thought remember seeing that it was S35VN at one point. Was it changed? If so, when? Why?

EDIT: Seems I have it backwards as revealed by one of the reviews. XHP ---> VN. If so, why KC still have it as XHP?

The first batch that were sent out were XHP. Mine is XHP, in fact. Knifecenter got them when it first came out, so they may still be selling the XHP ones. Or they may have just got a new shipment in and not realized the steel changed(it wasn't officially announced by Cold Steel, the change just went up on their webpage without it ever being mentioned, and I still come across people asking "why does CS webpage say S35VN but the marking on my blade says XHP?"), or maybe they just forgot to update the item page.

I'm still quite happy with the Ranch Boss that I finally settled on. It is an awesome pocket knife and now it's scary razor sharp thanks to Rob Bixby.

CS needs to jump on the maker and see that they up their game.

Or find a maker that HAS game.
Yah I drooled over one of those for a while. I think I will go for a GEC some day before ever considering a CS Ranch Boss.
Sad to hear about QC probs.

I honestly think S35VN and XHP are pretty indistinguishable in actual use, . . .

Whoa . . . high praise for XHP !
I am glad to hear you say that though . . . I mulled between AUS-8 and XHP and just receive a very large folder yesterday in XHP. If nothing else I enjoy visualizing the powdered metal process. Space age.

. . . But yeah, after reading about the issues plaguing the Ranch Boss I wouldn't spring for one.
I totally agree. I want to support makers who are consistently great, especially in that price range for a little folder.

. . . the Lucky, well made blends of traditional and modern with solid materials that don't break the bank.

Yep that one may just be my Birthday present knife. Unless I get VERY lucky in deed and run across the REAL, from back in the day, sunfish that I want.

Whoever's making them has some 'splaining to do. There's a review on amazon that talks about loose blades, gaps galore, etc. That shouldn't be happening on a knife that's going for $180-200. CS needs to jump on the maker and see that they up their game. :(

I believe that's my review you read on Amazon.

Back