• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Anyone have a CNC and want to make some scales?

GCBC

Gold Member
Im at the end of my rope here with frustration...
Ive been wanting to make folding knife scales super bad for a few years and nobody (in america) wants to make any.
economy in the shitter right now and getting worse w the housing bubble collapsing etc etc and I see lots of ads on Facebook and other places
for machining services "hungry for business" with their "books open for all jobs big n small" and half dont respond at all, other half are either well do it
but has to be 1000piece runs and huge sheets of materials which isnt available or they quote total pie in the sky prices just for the machining.

So, anyone here want to mill out carbon fiber and make some sweet scales in batches of like 10x sets per knife model to start?
ive got the materials, ive got the cad files and ill start a business if they actually come out awesome. Would love to have someone whos already a knife guy
as a partner or exclusive supplier.

want to stay in america and help american business but these shop owners are really trying to push me to china...

oh, and before you respond with "well if youve got the cad files the carbon blanks and the $ why the heck dont you just get a cnc???"
im planning on moving in the next 6-8mo and that doesnt make sense to order, get installed, setup, learn the machine just to leave it in my garage here while trying to sell the house which would just be stacking nightmare ontop of nightmare.

I do not have an answer for you, but have you looked into a local university or private "maker space"? I have a friend that lives next to one with a large CNC mill and other impressive machinery. If such a thing existed near you, it could be a good solution, at least in the short/mid term.

Back