Anyone have a Code 4?

Hi Folks, do any of you have a Code 4 with CTS-XHP steel you would care to tell us a bit about?

If anyone else has the earlier Code 4 I's like to hear from you, as well.

1. How hard is it to hold onto the handle?
2. How durable is the knife?
3. How easy is it to carry?
4. How does it work for day to day use?

Thanks

Doc

1. If you are used to other G-10 knives with normal cold steel/benchmade/ZT/emerson thickness, Code 4 handle will give you an initial "shock" for its thinness. I sold my old code 4 AUS8A for this reason. However i've recently just bought the latest XHP version, and i'm slowly getting used to the thinness. Just don't something hard and you will be fine.
2. Aluminum handle + triad lock = durable. Even more drop resistant than G-10 handle which will crack or have permanent damage. I wouldn't worry about durability at all.
3. The whole design is to make a 3.5 inch blade 5 inch handle easy to carry. It will melt inside your pocket. I carry my knives in my right back pocket when i wear Jean, which is all the time, so i am extra sensitive if the knife creates any hotspot in my back-side. Carrying a code 4 is like carrying the new iphone, except that you dont have to worry about it bending.
4. This is kinda vague, day-to-day use varies from person to person and job to job. It's perfect in office.

Its a nice knife,just the handle is slippery.Cuts like crazy.Mine is in aus8, and performs really well.Better than many knives that cost 3xas much

I'm interested in trying out a knife with the triad lock, but I find most Cold Steel folders uncomfortable to clip to pocket. It would seem that the Code 4 would be easier on pocket material than most others. Is this true?

I'd originally thought about getting the American Lawman, but am now leaning more towards a Code 4 spear point.

Jim

I have a Code 4 in AUS8 and a American Lawman in XHP. Both make exellent pocket knives but the American Lawman is the one that is in my pocket now adays. The Code 4 is a very slim and very EDC friendly knife that is quite sheeply friendly as well. However it isnt very grippy and I find I like the slightly thicker and slightly grippier American Lawman more. I still carried my code 4 in my pocket as my exclusive EDC for over a year though, so dont think its a bad knife.

The Code 4 is very comfortable to carry and it doesn't shred pockets the way the G10 knives can. The aluminium isn't grippy, but the shape does hold it in your hand regardless. It is, of course, immensely strong, but I find the Tri-Ad on mine to be easy to release.

I have a Code 4 in AUS8 and a American Lawman in XHP. Both make exellent pocket knives but the American Lawman is the one that is in my pocket now adays. The Code 4 is a very slim and very EDC friendly knife that is quite sheeply friendly as well. However it isnt very grippy and I find I like the slightly thicker and slightly grippier American Lawman more. I still carried my code 4 in my pocket as my exclusive EDC for over a year though, so dont think its a bad knife.

The new AL has been thinned down. How much difference is there between the new AL and the Code 4 in thickness?

The Code 4 is very comfortable to carry and it doesn't shred pockets the way the G10 knives can. The aluminium isn't grippy, but the shape does hold it in your hand regardless. It is, of course, immensely strong, but I find the Tri-Ad on mine to be easy to release.

I just picked up a plain edge spear point model in AUS-8, and this mirrors my experience exactly. I really, really like the Code 4. :thumbup:

Thanks. I was going to order the AL but I got to reconsidering it after the release of the Code 4 in CTS-XHP. I was thinking it might be strong and yet much easier to carry. I wonder if there are any hotspots on the Code 4 when using it hard?

For me Code 4 is a lil bit uncomfortable due to its thinness, if you are planning on using it hard for a prolonged period of time, i suggest wearing a glove. The new lawman is about 1-2mm thicker overall, but it's equally easy to carry, easier since it's shorter and more "square-ish" when it is closed.
I just spent 1/2 day cutting up boxes yesterday with my lawman and it's not bad despite its thinness, due to the well rounded G10. However i can say that the blade length is not quite enough sometime to finish a long cut.

I have had an XHP Code 4 in my EDC rotation for a couple of weeks. I have not done a lot of heavy cutting with it and it is still wearing the factory edge, so I can't speak to the steel's performance yet. However, it came very sharp out of box. It carries really well in the pocket, primarily due to its thinness. I thought that the knife might be uncomfortable to use due to the thinness of the AL scales, but I was surprised at how well contoured the edges are. I have found it to be much more comfortable than I expected. As others have said, the handle is slick, but the finger grooves help you keep a steady grip on the knife. The triad lock is tight and I have to use two hands to close it, but I see that as a good thing and expect it to ease a bit with use. The blade came with a few fit and finish issues - some wavy and inconsistent grind lines - but well within expectations for the price point. These in no way detract from the function of the knife. All in all, I think it is a great daily user which feels very sturdy and well put together.

I returned my American lawman because it was just too thin. I was worried my code 4 would be the same, but for whatever reason it feels very comfortable and opens super smoothly. It's a fantastic knife, definitely my favorite cold steel blade.

Cool. It sounds like my first Cold Steel with a triad lock will be the Code 4 (spear point). I'll get the CTS-XHP version.

Jim

Cool. It sounds like my first Cold Steel with a triad lock will be the Code 4 (spear point). I'll get the CTS-XHP version.

Jim
Nice, you won't be disappointed. I've been on a cold steel kick lately and purchased maybe 4 of the new 2015 models in the last month. The code 4 is definitely my favorite. Easy to edc, dimensions are great, action is super smooth, and the new steel is a huge upgrade. I'm probably going to buy another in the tanto blade soon.

Back